Steam turbine generating infinite amounts of heat

Gst0863
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

for some reason, my steam turbine just started producing more and more heat and not stopping.

I then tried turning on the "debug super speed" and the heat production quickly fell back down to around 20 KDtu, but as soon as i turned the "debug super speed" off, the steam turbine heat production went crazy again.

I were using ~~231 C Steam, in a 100% isolated box (isolated tiles build with isolation)

The super coolant were placed there to prevent the steam engine from getting too hot.

Infinite Heat Steam turbine bug.mp4

Steps to Reproduce
not sure what happened, or why it suddenly started generating more heat (and then stopped when debug super speed was enabled)

User Feedback

And as soon as i placed the steam engine in a vacuum it got to 200 C before overheating (happening in less then ~ 0,5 sec)

I think this part is normal.

Any building placed in vaccum will overheat because it can't exchange heat with the surroundings. ;)

Maybe your first issue come from the same point.

Try filling the room with a gaz, and cool it with an additionnal system aside.

Share this comment

The turbine removes the heat from the steam, resultin in ~95°C Water and...... heat. You need something to get rid of the heat If you enclose the turbine, the heat has nowhere to go. Either open the room up, or put some worts in it and flood it with a good gas (hydrogen works best).

4 Worts can get rid of an average turbine. If you use it to cool wast amounts of heat, 6 to 8 worts are usable. 

Share this comment

the problem wasn't the overheating part

the problem was the heat generating kept on increasing more and more

the steam had the same temperature, but the steam engine began generating more and more DTU/S (it were at over 130 KDTU/sec when i stopped testing, that's enough to fuel another steam engine with 5 ports open)

if you watch the video attached, you can see how the heat production keeps on increasing for no apparent reason

wait just checked something and it do seem like the steam turbine is supposed to run this hot...

according to the oxygen not included wiki https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Steam_Turbine

The heat production is defined as
water: mass * (temperature - 95) * 4179 DTU Self heating heat_removed / 10 DTU

and with 2 kg/s of  231,1 C steam this only adds up to
2*136,1*4179/10 = 113752.38 Dtu = 113 kDTU 

Which is way lower than the 130 kDTU i got

and that still won't explain why the heat production went down everytime i activated the "debug super speed"

Edited by Gst0863

Share this comment

By your own admission, it seems to be working normal. Using debug super speed I'm sure skips some steps and "simulates" things the best it can in the little time it is given. That's why that speed is used only for debug (ironically, causes a bug, in a sense). It's not meant to be 100% accurate, it's meant to skip time to allow testing something in a timely manner.

Share this comment

well that explains the debug thing

but isn't it still producing 20kDTU too much heat? or am i off?

And on another note - if this seems to just be a missunderstanding of mine, can i delete my own bug report? xD

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Gst0863 said:

well that explains the debug thing

but isn't it still producing 20kDTU too much heat? or am i off?

And on another note - if this seems to just be a missunderstanding of mine, can i delete my own bug report? xD

image.png.c2932de257af9b71f3bb82a316ce9bd6.png

I haven't gotten that far in the game yet to mess with this kinda stuff, but the rework on them is totally different and they output as much heat as they take in, or something like that. As you can see in the screenshot from the youtube video, he is running fine at 3x the DTUs you were talking about.

Share this comment