Some Early Bugs

baconcow
  • Pending

Edit: Missed the ladder issue in the known issue list (Bugs 1 & 3).

Bug 1 (gameplay issue)
Known Issue - Stuck on Ladder After It's Gone
Clone has become stuck on the ladder segment location after it was deconstructed. The character should be able to escape as the ledge is only one step above. I was able to free them by having another clone come build the ladder segment again. This appears to be a gameplay issue.bug1.jpg

Bug 2 (graphical issue)
Two pieces of material (cultivated dirt, I think it was) on the ground not showing sweep symbol after being selected for sweep. They can be selected and do show that they are selected for sweep, though, so this is likely only a graphical issue.

bug2.jpg

Bug 3 (gameplay issue)
Known Issue - Stuck on Ladder After It's Gone

Clone stuck suspended in the air after a segment of ladder was deconstructed. Clone would not move (even manually). I was able to free them by building another ladder segment where they were stuck.

bug3.jpg

Bug 4 (gameplay issue)
Could not purchase the hand sanitizer, despite having the required resources. It says I have 50 bleached stone and that it requires 50, but I am still unable to build it.  Unselecting and re-selecting the hand sanitizer did nothing. Once I obtained more (slightly over 100 bleached stone), I was able to build it.
bug4.jpg

Additional Issues
I have run into several more issues, in my past few hours playing (not sure if I should add them here or make another topic):
- Pathfinding issues where duplicants go idle while having valid jobs available within vaid movement, only to have no trouble finding their bed come nightfall.
- Jobs that are priority 9 not being done, despite being reachable and the only priority 9 jobs available.
- Clean water going into the water purifier completely disappears. Known issue.
- Snoring animation remains nearby where the duplicant slept and will not go away (even after many cycles). I am unsure if it has the effects of snoring or if it is only a graphical issue. Known issue.
- Giant waves in water (clean and contaminated) caused by the small flow of water into it (i.e. from vomit spilling over into it). Some times, the water splashes over twice it's depth. The water spilling into it may represent a fraction of a percent of the total volume. Known issue.

Steps to Reproduce
Bug 1 - Delete the ladder segment in the location where the clone is currently standing (see blue circle for location). Bug 2 - Not sure how to reproduce this. This material was dropped when digging the tunnel where it is located. See blue circle for material location. Bug 3 - Delete the ladder segment where the clone is standing. See the blue circle for location. Bug 4 - Collect 50 bleached stone and the other required resources and tried to buy the hand sanitizer.

User Feedback

Bug 1 and 3 are because you are not understanding ladders.
You need to build them 2 tiles ABOVE where they need to go, or they will often get stuck.
This is because they are climbing the ladder to the level they are trying to reach.
They can't pull themselves above the end of a ladder.
You can see in both, they are on the ladder, so to get up, they need to CLIMB higher, they can't just step up.
Bug 4 would just be a rounding issue.
You probably have slightly less than 50 bleached stone (say 49.97) and so the game just tells you that you have 50.
This is because bleached stone decays slightly over time, and you will lose mass. It turns into chlorine gas.
So if for example a puff of 1024mg of chlorine gas came off of your 10kg of bleached stone, you would then actually only have 9.999kg of bleached stone. When displaying this number, the game will round it off to 10kg, but internally you only have 9.999kg.

Share this comment

Bugs 1 and 3 are bugs - if the Dup is stuck but a potential path exists, his pathfinding has a bug. For Bug 1, the Dup should still be able to clamber up. For Bug 3, the Dup should not be stuck mid-air.

As to Bug 4, if this is a rounding issue, then the display should round *down* instead of *up* to avoid giving confusing and inconsistent info to the player.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Bug 1 and 3 are because you are not understanding ladders.
You need to build them 2 tiles ABOVE where they need to go, or they will often get stuck.

Thanks for the replies, SpponsOnMyElbows and Interloper,

For Bug 1, I can see that they need to climb higher than the top rung, but they do have the ability to climb up the side of a tile as can be seen in every other situation, in the game (where they are not standing on the top rung of a ladder). It would be mechanically-inconsistent that you cannot get out in this situation.Clearly, I do not fully understand they developer's current intent on ladder movement, However, saying you need to build them two tiles above where they need to go, which I have never seen necessary, suggests that you also may not fully understand ladders either. Saying they will get often stuck sure sounds inconsistent and like a bug, to me. I have played many more hours, now, and always build to the point where they get off, never above. For bug 3, that Duplicant is literally floating in mid-air and will not move. Not sure what this has to do with not understanding ladders.

I understand what you are both saying about rounding errors for Bug 4. I guess it is just a coincidence that I had such a close value to the required amount. Rounding down would definitely help, here.

I have run into several more issues, in my past few hours playing (not sure if I should add them here or make another topic):
- Pathfinding issues where duplicants go idle while having valid jobs available within vaid movement, only to have no trouble finding their bed come nightfall.
- Jobs that are priority 9 not being done, despite being reachable and the only priority 9 jobs available.
- Clean water going into the water purifier completely disappears.
- Snoring animation remains nearby where the duplicant slept and will not go away (even after many cycles). I am unsure if it has the effects of snoring or if it is only a graphical issue.

Edited by baconcow

Share this comment

" Bugs 1 and 3 are bugs - if the Dup is stuck but a potential path exists, "
But that's just it. There is no potential path.
If a dupe is in a climbing state, they climb only to the top of the ladder, as in, their body is on the top section of ladder.
Not that their body is completely above the section of ladder with their feet on the top of it.
That's not how ladders work.
This is what i mean by " They can't pull themselves above the end of a ladder. "

Share this comment

"  but they do have the ability to climb up the side of a tile as can be seen in every other situation, in the game "
Yeah, if they are is a state of walking, not in a state of climbing.
You can see in both your screenshots, they are not in a state of walking, so they cant move sideways, they can only continue to move up or down. The only time a dupe can move sideways from a ladder in a climbing state is directly left or right to another ladder.

Share this comment

On 3/6/2017 at 1:22 AM, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

"  but they do have the ability to climb up the side of a tile as can be seen in every other situation, in the game "
Yeah, if they are is a state of walking, not in a state of climbing.
You can see in both your screenshots, they are not in a state of walking, so they cant move sideways, they can only continue to move up or down. The only time a dupe can move sideways from a ladder in a climbing state is directly left or right to another ladder.

Okay, but the fact they are stuck in a climbing state is a bug. The applicant should have been able to go back an accessible segment of ladder and either continue moving to an accessible area or stay still until an accessible area opened (i.e. by rebuilding the ladder, in Bug 1). Both duplicates are stuck floating in a climbing state, which is the bug I am trying to point out.

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, baconcow said:

Okay, but the fact they are stuck in a climbing state is a bug. The applicant should have been able to go back an accessible segment of ladder and either continue moving to an accessible area or stay still until an accessible area opened (i.e. by rebuilding the ladder, in Bug 1). Both duplicates are stuck floating in a climbing state, which is the bug I am trying to point out.

They don't have a ladder section to move down to, as they are both holding on to what used to be a ladder section 2 tiles above the next one down. So basically, it comes down to a missing animation. Which is to be expected from an early alpha.
I wouldn't call it a bug, because nothing is bugging. It's just that there is no animation currently to show that the dupe is stuck, with no path to escape the square they are currently in, because you removed it.
I guess you could suggest though, that if they wanted to make it more realistic, that the game should check that if dupes have had their path removed, could they instead enter the fall animation, and fall to the next block down.
But again, that's not really a bug, it's a suggestion for realism.

Share this comment

Let's let the developers figure out if this is a bug (animation, gameplay, whatever). There is a ladder below the duplicant, in both scenarios. If they are not holding onto a ladder and cannot stand on the top of the current ladder, then the duplicant should fall to the next lowest ladder (or whatever is below them). This is a bug forum. Whether animation- or gameplay-related, I am just posting things which I find to be odd behaviour in the game.

Share this comment