Water purifier destroys water

Tamber
  • Fixed

I'm aware that water purifiers will destroy non-contaminated water if they are fed that - this appears to be something different.

The resulting pure water from purifying contaminated water is only about 40% of the original quantity.  This is despite the info on the water purifier saying that input and output water deltas are the same.

Uncertain whether the bug is the informational text on the purifier or the actual output.  I'll do some more tests to see if I can eliminate factors and narrow down what's actually going on.

Development build CL#208689

Steps to Reproduce
Created a testbed game and used the debug tools to create a very simple test - create a 2x4 (4 high - extra height keeps water from overflowing) source tank with a pump, pipe the pump to a water purifier, pump output to a 2x2 collection tank. Paint in a 2x2 block of contaminated water inside the 2x4 - should be 4000Kg water. Run the simulation. After quite some time, the source tank will be empty - allow the pipe to empty. Measure water in output 2x2 tank. Result is just under 1600kg of pure water.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Good question, and I did check that.  When I remove the purifier from the same test, it pumps 94-97% of the contaminated water to the output reservoir.

I also just got done doing another test.  I've heard about a "falling water" bug, so to take that out of the equation, I did this setup:

Contaminated water => pump => purifier => 100 stretches of pipe => valve (turned down to 10g/s) => output reservoir.  Started with 1000kg of water in the input reservoir.

Once the pump stopped being able to pick up new water and the remaining water was pushed up against the valve, 55 of the post-purifier pipe stretches held 10kg of water (550kg total), about 1.9kg were in the post-valve output pipe and reservoir (and for completeness, about 34g were left in the input reservoir.  So this was better than my first result, but still only 55% of the water made it through purification.

That doesn't eliminate a pipe-specific issue, I suppose - but does take vent / falling water issues out of the picture.  When I re-opened the valve and let it all flow out, the result was 550kg of output fluid.   So if there were any pipe issues, it doesn't seem there were any in the post-purifier flow at all.

Share this comment