Some building works before consuming power

abud
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Some building works before consuming power using fast on-off state. In this picture top side continue to increase temperature, bottom side continue to decrease temperature.

image.thumb.png.53aeda8fd081280bb90fbab402ce837e.png

Power Overlay

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6363c8780e676020d8f99353759b8a99.png

Powerless.sav

Based on general discussion thread.

Steps to Reproduce
Easy way: Load the save Long way: Charge a transformer, use it to powering some building with power shutoff to fast switch on-off state, disconnect transformer from main power source
  • Like 1

User Feedback

The transformer isn't needed.  You can just as easily use a battery. 

I'm going to guess that the power update function is not syncing appropriately with the automation function. The "check" to drain power is happening when the power shutoff is off. Also, I'm guessing the fridge only checks for power every few ticks, not constantly (probably an optimization thing).  Have fun tracking this one down. For now, it provides a simple way to overpower any wire without worrying about the consequences (provided the machine you want to run works on intermittent power). 

FYI, transformers appropriately draw power through one of these shutoffs.  I've been trying to use a transformer past the shutoff, to charge some batteries and then get extra free power.  So far, I haven't found a crazy way to do it. So there is no "free power loop" yet. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

7 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

You can just as easily use a battery.

I thought battery has run-off, doesn't it going to stop working at some point if we use a battery instead?

• Like 1

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, abud said:

doesn't it going to stop working at some point if we use a battery instead?

Of course. However you can still see that power is not draining appropriately from a battery, hence the bug is NOT in the transformer.

Also, every time you pause/unpause the game, there is a chance you will see a power drain. If you are trying for an infinite long term power solution, then as long as you never pause/unpause the game, you could probably use the transformer forever.  To track down the bug, knowing that the same issue occurs with or without a transformer/battery/etc. is relevant. 

• Like 2

Share this comment

Here is another ludicrous example that illustrates how to abuse this bug.

Just make heat and then let the turbine produce power out of it.  Kinda silly.  (and this is my 1000th post). 

• Like 2

Share this comment