Puft stuck, does not come when called for grooming

Xcone
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

I got some small rooms for pufts setup. Apparantly there's something special with it, because they get stuck often. Normally saving/loading un-stucks them, but this time they stay stuck after a reload. Definition of stuck in this case:

- they look like they should be able to move, 
- they're ignoring the dupe calling them for grooming
- they're ignoring the dupe calling them for auto-wrangling
- they're not consuming polluted air

Here's a picture to clarify. The rooms used to be smaller first. The yellow boxes used to be walls as well. After a puft got stuck again (the rightmost one), I decided to try make to room bigger. I was rewarded with even more stuck pufts

image.thumb.png.08336769fccb7f8f37e63ad3aada5d47.png

Perfect Spacecamp.zip

Steps to Reproduce
Not a clue. At some point I scroll by to see how they're doing and sometimes they're stuck and then I save/load the game. I don't know what contributes to them getting stuck. What is unique this time, is that a save/load does not unstuck them, so I attached my savefiles in the hopes you can figure it out. This includes the autosaves. If you go back through the autosaves a little, you'll find the initial setup where it was 4 smaller rooms, instead of 2 bigger ones.

User Feedback

I've done a little more experimentation, and I think it has to deal with air pressure. If the pressure in the room is too high, then the pufts won't be able to expel the waste, and will instead be stuck in that position.

Share this comment

I am getting hit with this as well, it's annoying that - if i don't pay attention and mark the buggy puft for attacking - the rancher spends his entire day smooching at the creature fruitlessly.

For what it's worth this has nothing to do with air pressure. Not high pressure at least. My puft rooms are at a consistent 700-900g.

Share this comment

In my case the pressure is also around 900g, so I would also not think of pressure as the primary suspect.

I did however notice all stuck pufts in my case were on top of either the sweeper or the conveyer loader. So I rearranged the room a little bit to keep the ceiling free from machinery, as pufts desire to go the to the top of the room when excreting. This seems to help in my case. The pufts still get stuck occasionally, but it's significantly less frequent.

Share this comment

my pufts are also stuck as well.  even saving and reloading doesn't fix.   it has nothing to do with the pressure of the room as  the PO2  in the room is LESS than 1700kg.

Even when the pressure used to be super high up when they weren't stuck  they were actively working as normal.

Seems like a late game issue

I have puft stuck in mid air and not touching the ceiling  claiming to be hungry when  clearly there are plenty of PO2 around him.   they're sitting at where the PO2 and oxygen line is  and both pressure are fairly even.

They're definitely stuck.  I just built a lure and used slime lure and they're not moving towards it at all.

Edited by RonEmpire

Share this comment

I have this same problem. It seems that if I pause the game with the pufts on the screen for a period of time they eventually unstick. They become stuck again really quick however.

I also notice some particular behavior with morbs expelling gas all at once after the game has been paused for a moment. Related things for sure.

It seems like they start taking in po2 and gain some calories, but then although they are attempting to take in po2 they are not gaining calories. If you pause the game once they are starving, you will see it go to 'Glum' and then if you unpause it you'll see what I just described. This seems to be related to game speed in some way but I am not sure how, perhaps the same bug as the duplicant calories bug? I dunno.

Honestly: Pufts are just so weird. Why do they need to be so weird with the rising and falling to expel, etc? The princes/pufts thing, the weird rules as to how much po2 they take in, do they really need to be so weird? It's like 15 mechanics in one critter...

...so yeah after more messing with it, when there are enough critters on a map, the loop that processes things that happen to critters isn't making it through all critters in one "S" and it seems like the future is being abandoned, probably because the code doesn't want there to be an "S" where there is no new critter loop. 

I had many many many morbs on my map and now I'm trying getting rid of some to see if it improves.

Edited by UNDERHILL

Share this comment

I just had this happen in my puft ranch, so annoying, they are stuck expelling waste, they do not move, do not eat, etc and the rancher spends all his time trying to call them to be groomed.  

Share this comment