Performance lag spikes

Pex
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

After the latest live, Occupation update, and your code optimalization, game runs very well, for me, with 12-16 dupes it's constant 60 FPS. However, Time to time, when I scrolling to another area, especially if it's my base "core", game hangs a little bit, gets a lag spike which lasts 2-3 sec, then everything goes normal, 60 FPS again. When these lag spikes happen, FPS falls down below 40, or even 30 FPS. This can happen all the time if you have multiple, different machine building on the screen. I don't realize if this matters how many dupes on the screen.

Another issue, when this happening even I don't touch the mouse, nor try to scrolling the screen. Looking my base, then suddenly this lag spike happens for few sec. This second behavior is rare, but can happen.

I hope you can find the problem, and can able to fix these lag spike, so the game can run constant 60 FPS. (I know this is relative and depends on computer "power", but I have a high-end machine, that's why I reported that little lag spikes happen time to time, so probably it has nothing to do with GPU/CPU power)

I wont send file, or attach video, because this always happens to me if base is big enough, and I have 12+ dupes.

Which I didn't test, if I build enough storage to clean the floor all in and around the base. (maybe this is the cause....?)

Steps to Reproduce
Build a base, and get big enough for 12-18 dupes.

User Feedback

Try to kill slicker when it is stuck in crude oil. Tell me what FPS will be at your comp when you'll gonna do that.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Nativel said:

Try to kill slicker when it is stuck in crude oil. Tell me what FPS will be at your comp when you'll gonna do that.

I even didn't reach the lower oil/magma biom. So didn't see slickers yet... And I tried lastly with only 8 dupes, but the lag spikes still happen.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I've been getting some crazy lag spikes on my long haul colony.  It actually runs pretty nice most of the time, around 25-30fps.  But when I deconstruct piping I drop down to like 2fps.

Share this comment

19 minutes ago, saltyteabag said:

I've been getting some crazy lag spikes on my long haul colony.  It actually runs pretty nice most of the time, around 25-30fps.  But when I deconstruct piping I drop down to like 2fps.

Could you please post upload your save file?

Share this comment

21 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

Could you please try 254781 and let me know if it still happens?

Significantly better.  It stayed over 10fps this time, which is pretty reasonable for 30 dupes running around constructing/deconstructing pipes.

Thanks!

Share this comment

I can confirm that version 254781 did the trick. However, as you noted, this fixed an issue where pipe construction/deconstruction cause the fps drops. I don't know how did you optimalize your code, but it helps my "time-to-time-lag-spikes" too. On the other hand, it can happen still but MUCH less times than in previous version.

Sorry I didn't upload my save, but I think it's irrelevant, because my issue happening in every game play. But as I say, now it's much better.

We have the lag spike when new day starting. It's ok, I guess on that moment some data handling happening in the background. What I see now, when my "time-to-time-lag-spikes" happens, that fps goes dropping to 30, then back up 60 in few seconds later. As I can see it happening when I scroll into a screen area where I have storage boxes (sorry I forgot what its name) and debris (multiple elements) on the floor.

I suppose the ideal expectation would be constant 60 on high-end PCs, and a little lag spike when new day starting.

Another performance related problem, which now is worst is the jobs screen. As cycles goes by, it's getting worst and worst. And if not open in many cycles, let's say in 5-8, when jobs screen get ready, it takes 10-20+ seconds. Ok, this was far worst with preview branch, but now still not the best. It's weird, that if make a game reload, jobs screen gets ready almost instant. Or if I open in every quarter cycle, almost instant again, even I made a job change and dupes getting skill percents. I don't know how you do this programatically, but if it cannot be faster, instead we get a none responsive info screen, you could bring us a "previous-stat-shot" where we see the previous statistics and you could write previous percents with different color and say: "calculating new..." (or something like that, it's just an idea). In this case we could make our change on dupe jobs instantly as click jobs button, instead of I have to wait an unresponsive jobs screen for more than 20 sec.

In one word: If jobs related data statistics gathering methods can't be faster, make it as a background task and give us responsive UI when we hit "jobs" menu button. It's just a suggestion.

Share this comment