Partial Evaporation (Flaking) Bug with Splattering - Parent Liquid Temp Reset

mathmanican
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Linux Pending

This bug comes from the following discussion page in the forums, and was found by @kbn

When a liquid partially evaporates, using a hot donor from above, and the liquid is trapped on both sides and from below, the temperature of the liquid is reset to reflect the hot donor's temp (along with a little heat loss from conduction and I'm guessing some flaking). This was noticed on both the development build, and live build. 

@kbn's experiment:

aaa.thumb.png.2b5e44d6fe0e1d4e35b089dfd4

@TripleM999's experiment:

image.thumb.png.e82e32818343cf43200547f324661078.png

@mathmanican's experiment:

image.png.4c2b98d0cfaa5728e25625f3a75e64a2.png

Basically, with this bug we can generate insane amounts of heat. I'm not sure if the bug is a temp swap on liquid, or some part of the "splattering" mechanic that accompanies the partial evaporation code.  I do like the effect as it mimics the violent effects of steam creation when water and hot oil collide.  But something in the code is resetting the water's temp. 

Steps to Reproduce

Follow the steps above. We'll probably have fun over the next few days making more monstrosities to make it easy to replicate (as always, in hopes to help you identify exactly what causes it, as well as to have a good laugh). 

• Like 2

User Feedback

FYI, it does not matter if the tile above is vacuum.  In a 3 tile tall column with a roof and floor (as shown in the pictures above), you cannot put anything but steam in the top cell (otherwise things are trapped and flaking does not happen).  But if the column is 4 tall, then all is fair game. 

image.thumb.png.761e74942041d152ac327e4dd67deed5.png

A turbine processing water should not be able to keep a single turbine running full time, but it is, and the room is getting hotter and hotter. I've got a decent amount of chlorine in the room for rapid heating, so that I only have to heat chlorine, which passes it's temp onto the water.  Kinda crazy. 

It is definitely the donor's temp is resetting the parents. This is a huge problem, and massively exploitable. 

Share this comment

As an update:  What appears to be happening is that the donor's new temp that is should achieve, after flaking and conduction have both applied, is being given to the parent cell, while the donor is just being pushed upwards. All my experiments lead to exactly this, with nigh perfect precision. 

Terminology:

• Donor - Cell that gives up heat to allow flaking (partial evaportaion) to happen. 
  • Parent - Cell that looses 5kg of itself, to create a 5kg chunk of phased up material.
Edited by mathmanican

Share this comment

I wonder if this bug has something to do with what I've experienced with regolith falling on top of a mesh block and causing water to turn to steam instantly (rather than heating up gradually). It's been a problem with my regolith auto clearing system if my water is not below 150 degrees F.

Edited by oconzer

Share this comment

1 hour ago, oconzer said:

I wonder if

Can you upload a screenshot of the issue?  I'll happily look into it. Since the regolith is in debri form, it most likely isn't a flaking issue, but you never know.

Share this comment

Here's a couple of screenshots from a quick test I did just now (since my water lately hasn't reached near 150 when i seen the issue in my normal game).

I believe I messed up on the left test with the regolith falling onto the glass since when I used to see it the glass was also at 150 degrees F (forgot to set it to that). But you can see on the right one that steam is created when it shouldn't be. (The mesh tile and airflow tile are at standard temperature when using sandbox).

880ABB0EE388C4B198E325EFF65386CDB124994A

E4431A67D893B3E29FEA4A01085C6120E9B2A1DD

3BDB0C0A8130C9F511DBC5D376EA398D4DABEF43

Share this comment

57 minutes ago, oconzer said:

Here's a couple of screenshots

What you see here looks like partial melting, which is not a bug at all. It is the in game mechanic used to simulate surface contact rapid heat transfer. The entire block of water does not vaporize, rather 5kg chunks do until the regolith no longer has enough heat. The water that loses 5kg gets pushed away, which causes an uneven mass difference in the pool and the water can slosh out. 

If debris were causing this, rather than an entire block, it would not be flaking.

Share this comment

EDIT:

Turns out the liquid was flaking due to the change in the thermal transfer with the insulated tiles below the the LOX once the radiant pipes were filled with LOX.

This still appears to be a bug as the the pipe does not run through the insulated tiles. Also, a liquid in a pipe should not change the thermal transfer calculations between the tile it is flowing through and the tile next to it. In other words, the liquid and the pipe, the pipe and the tile, the tile and the adjacent tile should all be calculated independently.

I think this is because the tile and the liquid in the pipe were both LOX, causing a thermal conductivity value to be carried over somewhere. The thermal transfer between the tile and adjacent insulated tile behaved as expected when the pipe was empty, but changed when the pipe had LOX in it.

/end EDIT

I believe I have found another instance of this. I created a LOX generator. All the LOX in the pool is -184 to -186.

Spoiler

20210905125341_1.thumb.jpg.4ea5bf911f146d77f48d1356db6bfdec.jpg

The oxygen is approximately -183.

Spoiler

20210905125328_1.thumb.jpg.4c866d5e53fed7e5fa06a35aa4c01c93.jpg

The LOX in the cooling pipe is approximately -188 (comes in at -199, leaves almost at -185)

Spoiler

20210905125354_1.thumb.jpg.2941fce861c25fc5bb4b22fb61d25ad5.jpg

And every so often, for no reason I have 2 x 5kg of my oxygen evaporate/flake to -180.

Spoiler

20210905125927_1.thumb.jpg.55229f2a3d981d3c1678ad5bb7cc8a1e.jpg

This is preventing my system from cooling down. This definitely has something to do with the liquid pipe cooling as I was easily generating LOX with the hydrogen-thermo regulator loop and did not encounter this issue.

When you pipe nearly -200 degC liquid into oxygen and get -180 degC oxygen from that ... seems a little broken.

GK-D268.sav

DxDiag.txtPlayer-prev.logPlayer.log

Edited by yoakenashi
Added additional information to clarify situation.

Share this comment