oni hangs whole computer

EgorIV
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

When playing game on linux for hour or two, game lags really badly firstly slowing down really fast, then completely hanging whole system whithout any reaction (no mouse input, alt +f4, etc). Game eventualy, after ~30 minutes crashes with no crash screen(or maybe it exits because i spammed alt + f4). It hapens without any reason, in any time of a cycle.

i've looked at logs and player one either has different time or doesent log

hardware (neofetch)
----------------  
Host: MS-7808 1.0  
Kernel: 5.15.7-arch1-1 
Resolution: 1920x1080  
DE: Plasma 5.23.4  
WM: KWin 
CPU: Intel i7-3770 (8) @ 3.400GHz  
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB  
Memory:  15929MiB

i'm sorry if this report is not useful enough i've been trying to reproduce it all evening

p.s. this is the one of the best post editors i've used

Steps to Reproduce

1) open save file
2) wait

User Feedback

I used to get this kind of situation up until recently.

Looking further into it allowed me to come up with some observations and a solution that may not be as accessible for all.

The steamwebhelper process starts eating up your ram if left unchecked, I believe it starts preloading all the "commercials" for other games. I have observed it to start two process at about 90MB each and go up from there. Before finding out how to stop this I had to periodically stop the game, then halt and relaunch steam to reclaim the 1,5GB+ of ramspace (and growing) that it was monopolizing.

So once you launch steam go to "library" to avoid the unwanted memory hogging behavior.

At 16GB of ram you'll have to limit whatever else you're running in the background to make sure your ram holds enough free space. The game will eventually reclaim most of it. Your system will have to share and at some point the swap partition comes into play.

I'm currently on Ubuntu and did not set up a partition and left it to "auto" on install. This made it so that the OS now uses a swap file that is only 2GB in size.  Once swap was needed the game started to hitch. Then grow slower. And finally stall the system. (I.E.: swap filled up.)

Play sessions started to last pretty much the 30 minutes you've mentioned. So the printing pod was a safe cue to relaunch.

We used to be taught to make a swap partition that was double the size of the hardware's ram. Once upon a time in the CS courses.

TL;DR.: I finally solved the main issue by adding ram to the system. It now has 24GB of ram and no longer stalls. The swap file is rarely touched by the OS (I'm sometimes careless and launch a virtual machine for other tasks, ONI comes first.)

Share this comment

This sounds like a swapstorm. When it first starts to lag out go check out memory usage, I suspect you'll find your system is getting close to OOM and spending way too long trying to reclaim pages. I like to use cgroups, my friend recommends earlyoom as an easier out-of-the-box solution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

you know that some issues may come from unity engine self? after all you are using outdated Unity engine version 2020.3.11 while they have already the 2020.3.24

Share this comment

On 12/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, JRup said:

I used to get this kind of situation up until recently.

Looking further into it allowed me to come up with some observations and a solution that may not be as accessible for all.

The steamwebhelper process starts eating up your ram if left unchecked, I believe it starts preloading all the "commercials" for other games. I have observed it to start two process at about 90MB each and go up from there. Before finding out how to stop this I had to periodically stop the game, then halt and relaunch steam to reclaim the 1,5GB+ of ramspace (and growing) that it was monopolizing.

So once you launch steam go to "library" to avoid the unwanted memory hogging behavior.

In the second steam client menu (display?) there's a reduced mode which only shows a list of games (and doesn't need steamwebhelper).

Among the other things that use quite some memory: discord

Share this comment

4 hours ago, krop said:

In the second steam client menu (display?) there's a reduced mode which only shows a list of games (and doesn't need steamwebhelper).

Among the other things that use quite some memory: discord

steamwebhelper always launches when opening steam for me. Going to the library even if I've forgotten about doing so will clear the memory it's been using and goes back to the startup amount.

In discord I lurk, so I use it from the web browser instance. Haven't noticed abnormalities. (yet)

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, JRup said:

steamwebhelper always launches when opening steam for me. Going to the library even if I've forgotten about doing so will clear the memory it's been using and goes back to the startup amount.

In discord I lurk, so I use it from the web browser instance. Haven't noticed abnormalities. (yet)

Try running `steam -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist`

This will not spawn webhelper processes and display the minimal games list

Edited by krop
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment