Music cut out suddenly

HabdomeRaider
  • Pending

Had the music turn off unexpectedly in the middle of the day. Really eerie playing with just the sound effects. I think the music came back on when it switched to night again.

Steps to Reproduce
Not really sure. I had been playing for quite a while and my computer struggles a bit to keep up with the game sometimes.

User Feedback

Hey HabdomeRaider, thanks for the report! Sorry about that eeriness D:

I've got a few questions for you so we can hunt this thing down:

1) Did the music fade out slowly or did it just cut out immediately?

2) Do you remember how much of the cycle had passed when the music went off? In other words, was it the morning, afternoon, evening, etc?

3) Did anything major happen before the music turned off? For example, a new dupe showing up or research finishing or something? 

Thanks again Habdome! Glad you posted your report here after all :D

Share this comment

It cut out immediately. I think it was afternoon-ish in the day but I'm not certain. I didn't notice anything in particular happen, but I wasn't paying close attention at the time. Sorry there's not a lot to go off of.

Good luck bug hunting.

Share this comment

Had this happen again. The only major event was I was scrolling across the map. It was right before nightfall, and the music came back when night came.

Share this comment

The menu music comes in when I open the pause menu, and fades back out to silence when I resume. The problem persists across a save and reload.

Share this comment

On 17/02/2017 at 0:23 PM, HabdomeRaider said:

Had this happen again. The only major event was I was scrolling across the map. It was right before nightfall, and the music came back when night came.

In this case, was it an immediate cutoff as well, or a fade? Music turning off before nightfall is expected as an aural cue that night is coming, but it should fade, not immediately cut off.

On 17/02/2017 at 3:58 PM, HabdomeRaider said:

The menu music comes in when I open the pause menu, and fades back out to silence when I resume. The problem persists across a save and reload.

Hmm, I can't reproduce this one... if I understand correctly, this is what is happening?

1. Daytime music is playing.
  2. Press ESC to open the pause menu.
  3. Notice that the ESC menu music is audible.
  4. Press ESC again to close the pause menu.
  5. When going back into the game, no music is playing.

Share this comment

I think it was an immediate cut-off as well, but a lot of time I just notice the silence. Now that I know that a fade out before night starts is normal, I'll try to pay a bit more attention. Most of the time, when I notice the music go out, it is that last bit before night, but I'm pretty sure it's happened in the middle of the day a couple times as well.

For the second part, not quite:

1.5 Music cuts out suddenly.

I mentioned it mostly to point out that the music playing isn't completely broken, it's just the daytime music that won't play. Menu music and night music are just fine, but when they switch back to daytime music it's not there. That includes after night cycle ends, the Morning Sound plays and then no music. The fade-in and out for the pause menu music works fine. The environmental sounds and sound effects are completely unaffected as well.

The music comes back after a save and reload.

Share this comment

On 2/17/2017 at 6:58 PM, HabdomeRaider said:

This save and reload must have happened during that last segment before night when you would not expect the music to come back on.

Share this comment

Ah, I think I might know what's going on...

Music isn't actually meant to play every single day - there will be one day of music and then a couple of days without. The amount of days between music will likely be tuned moving forward as we get a better feel of how people are playing the game, and as we add more daytime tracks. This explains your mornings without music!

Also, if you load a save we play music right away to ease you into the game... UNLESS you're loading into a game which is late in the afternoon/evening, because night would be stopping it pretty soon and you'd probably be bummed that you only heard music for a few seconds. In that case, I just push that music forward into the morning so you can hear a full day's worth of music.

The immediate cut-off is definitely a bug, though - if you notice it again or can find some way to reproduce it then let me know :D I'll keep an eye out for it, too, in the meantime.

Share this comment

Music cut out or music doesn't play, it's different things?

I have huge base with 9 peoples and usually when i turn on 3x speed then music doesn't play. For example: after night if using 3x speed then a music doesn't play if used 1x speed then a music plays.

VERSION: 208196

Share this comment

9 hours ago, KviEt said:

Music cut out or music doesn't play, it's different things?

I have huge base with 9 peoples and usually when i turn on 3x speed then music doesn't play. For example: after night if using 3x speed then a music doesn't play if used 1x speed then a music plays.

For me, the music was playing and then it suddenly stopped. I have never had an issue with music playing based on my speed settings. I play a lot on >> and >>> speed settings and I fiddled around a lot with the speed when I noticed this bug. Note that music isn't supposed to play every day though.

On 2/22/2017 at 4:14 PM, jambell said:

Music isn't actually meant to play every single day - there will be one day of music and then a couple of days without.

Also, if you load a save we play music right away to ease you into the game... UNLESS you're loading into a game which is late in the afternoon/evening, because night would be stopping it pretty soon and you'd probably be bummed that you only heard music for a few seconds. In that case, I just push that music forward into the morning so you can hear a full day's worth of music.

The immediate cut-off is definitely a bug, though - if you notice it again or can find some way to reproduce it then let me know :D I'll keep an eye out for it, too, in the meantime.

I have not noticed this bug again since being informed of the times music is not supposed to be playing. I think many, if not all, of the times after the first when I noticed music was not playing, it was not supposed to be playing.

Here's another person who's also experienced this bug:

Share this comment

OK, finally heard this again. It was right around the time when the music fades out before nighttime. I think, maybe, the music lasted until it would normally end fade, as opposed to when the fade starts, but it's hard to be sure of the timing because you don't notice it until after it's happened.

I personally wasn't doing anything when it occurred. I was standing up from my chair so my hands literally weren't on the mouse and keyboard. I didn't notice any particular events happening. I've attached the log and save file, not that they're all that likely to help for this bug, but they can't hurt I guess. There's really nothing to verify after the fact that the bug occurred.

output_log.txt

Paradise.sav

Edited by HabdomeRaider

Share this comment

11 hours ago, HabdomeRaider said:

OK, finally heard this again. It was right around the time when the music fades out before nighttime. I think, maybe, the music lasted until it would normally end fade, as opposed to when the fade starts, but it's hard to be sure of the timing because you don't notice it until after it's happened.

I personally wasn't doing anything when it occurred. I was standing up from my chair so my hands literally weren't on the mouse and keyboard. I didn't notice any particular events happening. I've attached the log and save file, not that they're all that likely to help for this bug, but they can't hurt I guess. There's really nothing to verify after the fact that the bug occurred.

output_log.txt

Paradise.sav

I think it will be good if you write what OS and a sound driver you use. and if not hard you can try to find what unites you with other person who also has this bug.
By the way you have a problem that the game takes more and more memory over time?
It seems to me the bug of music can be related with the problem and when the problem will be fixed then with music there will be no problems.

Share this comment

Yo @HabdomeRaider! Thanks again for all the info about this, I think I'm finally honing in on what's causing this :) I don't think the fix will be in for the update but I think I understand what's happening now!

Share this comment

@HabdomeRaider I was able to track this down! I still need to do a long playthrough to test it over a long period of time, but thanks a lot for your notes and help figuring this out!

Should be fixed in the next update :)

Share this comment