Mouse is flickering and panning in one direction

glumonkey
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

like the title says my mouse is flickering back and forth between the microsoft mouse and the ONI mouse and panning constantly to one direction or another constantly ive uninstalled all the mods unsubscribed to them ran windows update uninstalled and reinstalled the game a couple of times cant figure this one out at all 

Steps to Reproduce

not sure it just keeps happening. i dont have spaced out DLC 

User Feedback

The constant panning happens in Spaced Out too though without the mouse flicker.  It even does it in the space view.  I just keep changing back and forth between space view and sim/normal view while spamming movement keys until it stops.  I'm not sure what could be done in vanilla though.

Share this comment

Oh.. The changing between the two cursors? That has been happening for a while now.

For me, when the game starts, it has windows cursor and gets the game cursor only after loading a save. After loading a save, it changed to windows cursor on various occasions (click to build a building, opening star map in DLC) but after recent updates it stopped happening.

"Panning constantly to one direction" means something else is using the mouse (probably a controller?) or the mouse needs changing perhaps.

The weird part for me about cursor changing between windows and game cursor right now is that "mouse" uses windows cursor when on the main menu screen while touching the controller changes it to game cursor. Moving the mouse turns it back to windows cursor

Share this comment

Could you try adding the game to Controlled Folder Access and let me know if this fixes it? Do you have any other virus/security software installed? We noticed sometimes virus/security software was blocking us from setting the cursor and instead of displaying the crash report screen we silently ignore the error.

It also might be due to having a controller plugged in as we recently added controller support. When the game detects you are using the controller it switches to using a virtual cursor instead.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Loading the cursor created a crash in the dlc code for some people but the "not loading cursor when in the main menu" problem goes way back. It didn't crash then but it still didn't load the game cursor until you load a save file and return to main menu again (I assume that's how it worked before too because that's how it works now).

It's not concrete proof but it can be observed through various youtube streams, going way back, how the cursor doesn't load until you load a world/make a new start

Spoiler

August 15 2020

September 21 2020

May 21 2020

April 17 2019

December 12 2018

March 18 2017

I only noticed that the cursor doesn't load properly when I put two captures side by side (also the black cursor made it more noticeable). That one was on a laptop while the capture above is from a different desktop pc. I'm not sure how the controller makes the cursor load properly though. 

Share this comment

I've had a similar issue with the mouse cursor. Ingame the cursor would alternate rapidly between the Windows mouse cursor and a graphical mouse cursor. The graphical cursor was stuck in the middle of the screen and the Windows cursor could be moved with the mouse. Quite annoying. Solved by unplugging my controller (which, by the way, could not move the graphical cursor while being plugged in).

Share this comment

Oh, maybe I should mention that I'm not using an original Microsoft XBox controller but a clone from a company called Nacon. So far it was 100% compatible with the few games I'm playing with a controller, but maybe it is behaving slightly different than the original version? I'm trying to understand how such a rather annoying issue could have been missed by your QA department after adding controller support...  Maybe the bootleg controller I'm using is spamming zero messages even when the joysticks are not being touched, which then makes the game alternate between graphical and windows style cursor while the mouse is being moved.

Switching between controller and mouse input should be possible in the options menu even when a controller is being detected, from my point of view. 

Share this comment