Mesh tile has inconsistent drip mechanics relative to liquid vent position

nakomaru
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Placing a mesh tile in directly beneath a liquid vent causes inconsistent drip mechanics compared with any other location.

2.gif.4f68410a0ac42934dc68064dc39b9059.gif4.gif.8a7132186478787904923621f646bf30.gif

Steps to Reproduce
Construct a mesh tile beneath an active liquid vent.
  • Like 2

User Feedback

Oh no. Fixing this might kill a bead pump or waterfall or bypass. :o

(added) @nakomaru, By the way, the two different placements can be explained by the liquid physics engine. Currently the vent is 3 tiles above the background wall where the water is pooling. Have you tried to see what happens if the vent is 4, 5, or 6 tiles above the collection area.  Also, try seeing what happens if you increase the pool at the bottom from 1 to 3 tiles (add one to each side).  What I'm seeing in the pictures above seems to mimic the phenomenon I've been exploring with my crazy pumps. 

Oh, and try viewing the thing using F4 (the material overlay), as you might be able to see beads of water, versus teleporting water. 

Edited by mathmanican
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this comment

This is completely consistent with how liquids act everywhere else. The liquids act the exact same when not in space The issue is that the liquid "beads" when the mesh tile is directly under the vent. You can see the beads form in the material overlay (they only form on the right most vent). Beads don't form when falling down stairs either, unless there is too much liquid, or you have a second liquid under the given liquid. 

vent-issue2.thumb.png.1de49b6bf313d2e41c26f17468199b05.png

When liquid is in bead form, the liquid interacts with the environment (hence vanishes in space, interchanges temperatures, etc.). When the liquid is not in bead form, it does not interact with the environment. It essentially enters another dimension, teleports to the bottom of the fall, and then reappears there.  That's what you are seeing. You can find more details on the beads in the bead pump, bypass pump, and waterfall posts. 

Now, whether this is intended behavior or not is another question. What you have seen is 100% consistent with the rest of the world, not unique to space. 

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

@mathmanican Thanks for the additional study. I have updated the title and text to closer represent the location of inconsistency. Whether it is intended or problematic I leave to Klei.

If I understand correctly it means this method is therefore the easiest way to generate beads and waterfalls.

[edit] Hmm, not so. It generates a bead only every second, whereas a waterfall requires a bead every tick. You would have to carefully place tiles and vents, probably.

2.thumb.gif.ca1268c754929fcf6a2d8a4760115c81.gif

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

14 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

It generates a bead only every second, whereas a waterfall requires a bead every tick.

Yep. This is much more like the "bypass" pump, which generates one bead every tick second. It won't make a bead pump. The bypass pump uses a droplet of another liquid to maintain gas separation before utilizing this.

For Klei, please see the original post in the general forum for more details. 

Edited by mathmanican
typo. Changed tick to second.... Oops.

Share this comment