Mechanized airlocks erroneously delete mass

Unknown Soldier
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

When 2 mechanized airlocks are setup in a certain way, and then sequenced to 'pump' liquid, most of the liquid mass is deleted when it shouldn't be. I say "shouldn't be" because there's vacant space (i.e. vacuum) for the liquid to go, but instead it's deleted.

Steps to Reproduce

I've included pictures of 4 test setups. Let's name them from left to right, Buggy, A, B, and C. They are similar but different. All use mechanized airlock(s) to move liquid up and down. The three on the right (A, B, and C) work as expected - there is no deleted mass. The one on the left, Buggy, is buggy, and it deletes most of the mass. So I'll be talking about Buggy below.

1. Reproduce Buggy in sandbox mode. Place 2 tiles of petroleum, default mass (740 kg), above the closed doors. See "test setup vacuum" and "test setup automation" and "starting mass" to reproduce the test setup. The "test setup automation" shows the times to use on the buffers.
  2. Unpause and let the automation open and close the doors.
  3. Note that when the left door (of Buggy) closes, mass is preserved.
  4. Note that the right door closes next and mass is deleted. There should be 1480 kg of petroleum but now there is only 455 kg, see "lost mass.png".

Note the similarities between Buggy and A. Both have a horizontally oriented door that closes, with only 1 vacuum tile above the closing door. However, A works and Buggy does not. So perhaps the code has some different handling of the cases where the closing door is adjacent to another door (buggy) vs a solid tile (working).

lost mass.png

starting mass.png

test setup automation.png

test setup vacuum.png

• Thanks 1

User Feedback

I tested another setup. I was attempting to determine if the closing door deletes mass when it has an adjacent door below it, but not next to it. Yes, this setup also deletes mass.

FYI I tried to reproduce this with no mods. I disabled all my mods but then my sandbox save game wouldn't load anymore, so I gave up on that.

646551905_threedoorsetupautomation.thumb.png.dd4850c48f0beda0211218967ca9b9b5.png

I'm also attaching a smaller Player.log, since the last one was huge. I deleted the file then opened the game to simplify the log file.

This log message, which appears many times, is suspicious:

[18:40:18.842] [1] [WARNING] Invalid cell modification (mass greater than element maximum): Cell=180705, EIdx=163, T=1, M=0.001, Vacuum max mass = 0

Player.log

Share this comment

This issue also happens if there is a solid tile in this setup (the right door is the last to close):mechanized_door_vertical_mass_deletion.png.d9b7069aac9b2d4ad4f4d895c222aabf.png

If there is a solid tile, about 10% of the mass is deleted (tested on a very long period, this number is accurate to +/- 1%).

If there is no solid tile there (like on the screenshot), no mass is deleted.

Share this comment

6 hours ago, Fradow said:

This issue also happens if there is a solid tile in this setup (the right door is the last to close):mechanized_door_vertical_mass_deletion.png.d9b7069aac9b2d4ad4f4d895c222aabf.png

If there is a solid tile, about 10% of the mass is deleted (tested on a very long period, this number is accurate to +/- 1%).

If there is no solid tile there (like on the screenshot), no mass is deleted.

It doesn't need a solid tile near/above the door.

See my report Mechanized Airlock intermittently destroying water.

Share this comment

This happens here because the two tiles of the airlock do not actually close at the same time. The primary tile (bottom if it is vertical, left if it is horizontal) will close a fraction of a second before the secondary tile. This pushes the water to the right in the "buggy" setup, then deletes the remainder as it has nowhere to go. Fradow's example is similar except vertically oriented.

I'm actually making use of this behaviour to push things rightwards using horizontal doors and upwards using vertical ones.

But it is nonintuitive and unexpected, given the symmetry of the animation.

Edited by Yobbo
  • Like 1

Share this comment