The Materials Study Terminal will sometimes not generate any errands for Duplicants to begin research even though the Materials Study Terminal's prerequisites for errands have been met. (The "Errands" tab of the Materials Study Terminal will have no pending errands.)
As a result, no Duplicant will perform Materials research, and (if this is the only station on which you're waiting, which is common) all research will halt.
This can be fixed by saving and reloading.
Obviously, if no research branch has been selected (Or: All Materials research on the current branch has already been completed), the Materials Study Terminal will have no available errands; this is working as intended. (Also if no Duplicant has the appropriate skill.)
Somewhat less obviously, if the Materials Study Terminal has <10 Radbolts, the Materials Study Terminal will have no available errands; this is also working as intended.
But a Materials Study Terminal that has > 10 Radbolts already stored AND has unfinished Materials research queued will sometimes never update the "Errands" tab to provide an errand for any Duplicant to come research (even though its conditions to permit research have been met).
Upon saving and reloading the game, the same Materials Study Terminal (with no changes) properly generates errands and Research may resume.
1. Make sure that a built Materials Study Terminal is powered.
2. Select a branch of Research that requires Materials research.
3. Supply the Materials Study Terminal with at least 10 Radbolts
4. Make sure at least one Duplicant has been granted the Materials Research skill
??? I'm unsure what specifically triggers the bug. In most cases, once I have completed these steps, the Materials Study Terminal creates an Errand and a Duplicate can begin research. AT FIRST, everything is working fine. In all likelihood, my current block of research will complete.
But it will not continue working, even with additional research queued and additional radbolts supplied. Eventually, I will find all research halted, all waiting on the MST, which offers no Errands despite being ready for use in every way. Despite being used just a moment before.
5. If the Materials Study Terminal has insufficient Radbolts, OR no branch requiring Materials research selected, OR the current research has been completed, Research will be impossible on that station, no Errand will be available and the Station will go unused (which is normal).
However, the player will eventually find research halted, investigate why this one station can't be attended by a Duplicate, carefully check or recreate Steps 1-4 above, yet the MST will STILL have no errands, except that upon Saving and Reloading, suddenly it works just fine.