Mac OS Sonoma 14.2 input issue in windowed mode

schufty
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Known Issue

Starting today, nothing happens when I click any of the buttons on the main menu screen, including the "Resume Game, "New Game", "Latest Update", "Roadmap" and "New Blueprints" etc. The buttons highlight when I mouse over them, but clicks are completely ignored. I can't even click the Quit button.

I'm running macOS Sonoma 14.2 on an M1 Macbook Air with 16GB RAM. I did just run the latest macOS update this morning.

I've restarted the game, Steam and the operating system. I tried switching to the public_previous_update branch, but I couldn't click any buttons on that version's main screen either (I think the top button was labeled something like "Run with old version").

I also tried uninstalling ONI and reinstalling, that didn't work either.

Unfortunately when I reinstalled ONI, it nuked the player.log file, and that file apparently doesn't get created until a game is loaded.

I'm completely stuck. Help?

Edited by EricKlei
Pinned and renamed this bug report.

Steps to Reproduce

- Run the latest ONI from Steam client

- The Klei logo loading screen comes up

- The main screen comes up

- Hover the mouse over any button ("New Game", "Resume Game", etc.) and the button highlights

- Click the mouse on any button, nothing happens

• Like 3

User Feedback

I have the exact same machine and this started happening to me this morning. I also just updated to macOS Sonoma 14.2 (23C64). I was running in window mode. Switching to fullscreen mode fixed the issue for me. If I switch back to window mode the issue returns.

Edited by ninjakttty

Share this comment

@ninjakttty how did you switch to full-screen mode? Is there some way to do that from Steam? I can't even get to the options from within the game.

Never mind, I figured it out. Adding -popupwindow to the launch options in the game's Steam properties starts it as a borderless window, and that allowed me to open the in-game options and switch it to fullscreen.

But that's just a workaround. I want to run the game I've always run it, in a bordered window where clicks and other input aren't ignored.

Edited by schufty
Answered my own question

Share this comment

I spoke too soon. Starting the game with -popupwindow and switching to fullscreen lets me click the buttons on the main screen. I can also use the mouse in-game to click buttons, buildings, dupes, etc. But the game ignores keystrokes. When I type any of the hotkeys e.g. "1", "2", "b", "x", etc., I hear a "boop" noise like I typed an invalid key, and nothing happens.

I suspect the latest Sonoma update is causing a problem. Dunno why so far only @ninjakttty and I are the only ones to report it.

• Like 1

Share this comment

16 hours ago, schufty said:

@ninjakttty how did you switch to full-screen mode? Is there some way to do that from Steam? I can't even get to the options from within the game.

Never mind, I figured it out. Adding -popupwindow to the launch options in the game's Steam properties starts it as a borderless window, and that allowed me to open the in-game options and switch it to fullscreen.

But that's just a workaround. I want to run the game I've always run it, in a bordered window where clicks and other input aren't ignored.

16 hours ago, schufty said:

I spoke too soon. Starting the game with -popupwindow and switching to fullscreen lets me click the buttons on the main screen. I can also use the mouse in-game to click buttons, buildings, dupes, etc. But the game ignores keystrokes. When I type any of the hotkeys e.g. "1", "2", "b", "x", etc., I hear a "boop" noise like I typed an invalid key, and nothing happens.

I suspect the latest Sonoma update is causing a problem. Dunno why so far only @ninjakttty and I are the only ones to report it.

I know it's just a workaround, I don't like running fullscreen either. But it's a data point for the devs to help them figure out the issue. I also couldn't go fullscreen by clicking on the green stoplight icon, I did it by use of a 3rd party utility that I use called Raycast, which has an option to make the current window fullscreen. I just tested it out and when I'm in fullscreen it does register keypresses.  Here's something you might try for fun since you can get mouse clicks, launch the game, go straight to options, check fullscreen mode, quit, and relaunch without ```-popupwindow```.

After seeing @Sopus bug, and seeing the same issue of not being able to quit, I agree it certainly points to the issue being the latest Sonoma update

Share this comment

I've logged it as well. I'm seeing the same issues on my M3 MBPro but not on my Intel MBPro which might help the devs narrow down the issue.

Share this comment

@ninjakttty my "just a workaround" comment wasn't aimed you, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Speaking of workaround, I have found that after adding -popupwindow to the startup options, I can go into game graphics settings and turn on fullscreen. I can then exit the game, remove the -popupwindow option, and restart the game, and both mouse clicks and keyboard input work.

Share this comment

More info: Sonoma 14.2.1 has been released, I've updated my M1 Macbook Air, and I'm still having the same problem--when in windowed mode, I'm unable to click any buttons.

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

This appears to be a widespread issue on Sonoma 14.2 affecting many games. We need to wait for Apple or Unity to resolve this issue.

Share this comment

I updated one of our Macs to 14.2.1 and could not reproduce the issue. Could someone else verify that 14.2.1 fixes the issue? It was released on December 19th after this bug report was filed.

Share this comment

On 1/3/2024 at 2:20 PM, EricKlei said:

I updated one of our Macs to 14.2.1 and could not reproduce the issue. Could someone else verify that 14.2.1 fixes the issue? It was released on December 19th after this bug report was filed.

Nope, I have ONI With Spaced Out DLC V U50-587362-S with Mac Mini M2 14.2.1. After this version it started to fail.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

We were able to reproduce the issue. The issue only occurs in windowed mode in Sonoma 14.2.0 or 14.2.1 as of writing this post. Full screen appears to be working correctly. Here's one way to do this:

• While the game is not running delete your kplayerprefs.yaml file. It's located at one of these locations.
    • ~/Library/Application Support/unity.klei.Oxygen Not Included/kplayerprefs.yaml
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/kplayerprefs.yaml
  • Health 1

Share this comment

@EricKlei

Thanks for the update. Is there any chance of Apple or Unity actually working on this, or will they just ignore the issue?

Share this comment

At least for me (macOS 14.2.1) neither windowed nor full screen mode allows me to click on anything. :(

I tried restarting, tried uninstalling and re-installing, but I still can't play the game.

Share this comment

i can't click anything in macOS 14.2 window mode, but it can be changed to full screen mode by editing a file

/Library/Application Support/unity.klei.Oxygen Not Included/kplayerprefs.yaml 

fullscreen 0  ->fullscreen 1 

save this file and restart oxygennotincluded, then i can play in fullscreen mode

Share this comment

Same issue.  I'm on Mac Sonoma 14.2.1  If in windowed mode, the buttons on the splash screen aren't clickable.  Can get around that by using the suggested Steam `-popupwindow` in the settings panel.  But then any keystrokes don't work, play an error sound when hit.  Game mostly playable with mouse, but can't rotate rotatable build items :( or search items by keyword.

Share this comment

Sonoma 14.3 is now out. Any update with this?

I have been holding off on updating until we have a better resolution. I normally play in full screen mode on my second monitor but I have to briefly switch to windowed mode in order to move it there.

FYI, this thread on the Unity forums seems to indicate that newer versions of Unity may be unaffected.

Edited by meekay

Share this comment

I've updated to MacOS Sonoma 14.3, and the problem persists. In windowed mode I'm unable to click anywhere.

@EricKlei please note that simply deleting kplayerprefs.yaml by itself doesn't help, that left my game in windowed mode and I was unable to click. I have to add -popupwindow to the game's launch options in Steam. That lets me click in-game, but it leaves keystrokes not working. However at that point I'm able to open in-game options and change to fullscreen mode, after which I close the game and remove -popupwindow from the launch options. Then I'm able to run in fullscreen mode with full clickability and keystrokes.

But I would much prefer to be able to run in windowed mode. Is there any update from Unity?

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

Share this comment

Sonoma 14.3.1 just released, and I've updated my system. Tried switching ONI back to windowed mode. Still no joy.

Is there any update on this?

Share this comment

Same issue here and the popup + fullscreen + restart combo fixes it too. Hope it gets resolved quickly.

Share this comment

On 1/17/2024 at 5:27 PM, sinKid59 said:

Same issue.  I'm on Mac Sonoma 14.2.1  If in windowed mode, the buttons on the splash screen aren't clickable.  Can get around that by using the suggested Steam `-popupwindow` in the settings panel.  But then any keystrokes don't work, play an error sound when hit.  Game mostly playable with mouse, but can't rotate rotatable build items :( or search items by keyword.

Have you found a solution to this?

Share this comment

Have not been able to play ONI since this issue appeared. The withdrawals are intense. The provided workaround is not compatible with how I play. :/ I'm hopeful an upstream fix makes it in soon. 

M1Max MBP. 

Share this comment

It seems like there are Unity bugs on ARM chip Macs, so unless they update the Unity tools or macOS to fix it, I can't be able to play the game for months.

Share this comment