Insulated tiles heat very fast and may be filled with gas

sopalinium
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Fixed

In some situations I cannot really understand, insulated tiles have their temperature change very quickly. For example, from 0 to -150 in under a minute. For now I have only seen it in a cooling area with liquid oxygen. Not all tiles cool at the same time.

Some tiles even get oxygen gas leaking through it. In that situation (hard to reproduce right now), duplicants were able to pass through the tile!

image.thumb.png.8306fd6b381f1bae0c85837d7e64ea0d.pngimage.thumb.png.787010f9130cd4db137bd0b47b5ce373.png

Steps to Reproduce

Make a cooling circuit in an area enclosed with insulated tiles.

Cool oxygen down.

Watch the temperature or surrounding tiles.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Hmm, interesting. I noticed that an insulated pipe running through the base of my solar panel was heating the panel up very fast. As if this was a radiant pipe. Maybe something is broken with the insulation logic?

Share this comment

I made a sandbox save showing heat and gas being exchanged fast through insulation tiles. Just wait a minute so that the cold area becomes cold enough. Two tiles making the separation between hot and cold will let gas through.

image.png.fd83280fbc6e8ad21dd15f75a94fe83e.png

image.png.030e0b0dd6eefbe97c3db17b143464d8.png

image.png.f6240f3912c1e6967013c3c0355fcbd0.png

BadInsulation.sav

1 hour ago, Gembator said:

Hmm, interesting. I noticed that an insulated pipe running through the base of my solar panel was heating the panel up very fast. As if this was a radiant pipe. Maybe something is broken with the insulation logic?

I do not see other problems anywhere on my map, not even with pipes (or maybe I did not wait long enough). That's what is surprising me. There must be some specific conditions going on here. Plus the tiles becoming permeable to gas (and dupes!) looks to me like something more general. Maybe the temperature difference being too large breaks some weird rules?

Share this comment

What is happening is liquid oxygen flashes to gas and destroys tiles. I've never seen that happen before though...

Share this comment

7 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

What is happening is liquid oxygen flashes to gas and destroys tiles. I've never seen that happen before though...

How do you know tiles are destroyed? On my screen they still appear the same. Nothing different is indicated in the property panel.

Note this started only after the patch.

Share this comment

I would say there is definitely some duplication taking place for some reason

Edit: ...or maybe transmutation...? It seems like the mass of the insulated tile turned into oxygen :confused:

lox.thumb.PNG.dae8e8d84212b8267fcf834ecd5d2bb6.PNG lox2.thumb.png.d2025e017b5c5bf08e48532502730a0c.png

44 minutes ago, sopalinium said:

How do you know tiles are destroyed?

They are highlighted. That means they have no mass. You can also see oxygen (a gas) where a solid tile should be. There was the same kind of bug when tiles would take pressure damage from deodorizers if you put a deodorizer directly below the tile.

Edited by sakura_sk
realization of wizardry happening

Share this comment

first off you use mafia rock for insulated tile what is much faster than igneous rock

keep in mind , materials matter for temperatures

Share this comment

It still wouldn't explain how 400kg of mafic rock insulated tile would transmute to 400kg of oxygen. Even if the tile breaks due to pressure, it should drop mafic rock.

Transmutation.jpg.81c60bcd538a36aee8bd1bc6f71872de.jpg Simple experiment to confirm that

Steam-LOX 200-200_.sav

Share this comment

in sandbox mode its really easy turn tile to the oxygen tile, its been at there for ages, i never seen that at normal gameplay self but then again i never used mafia rock self for something like that, as its very soft material

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

If it wasn't happening before mergedown it shouldn't happen after it unless there some clear explanation why that is happening. If it was about hardness, sentimentary rock should act the same but it doesn't. Insulation is also changing temperature when liquid oxygen phase-changes in the other room so I would suspect there is something more happening.

image.thumb.png.922de5d1fa1b6b0b241536621341c9cc.png

Edited by sakura_sk
wording

Share this comment

Why is this bug very specific to "mafic insulated tile + liquid oxygen" and why only in Vanilla version 471883 and not in the same version of Spaced out? I didn't check every element but insulated mafic doesn't "break" with equally unstable liquids like CO2, Chlorine and Methane. Although having insulated mafic tiles beside liquid oxygen, it gets weird....

Untitled-1_.gif.9da5dba0fe6674bbbd2d501520f77590.gif

The above is just 4 Sim steps

Vanilla version 469300 only changes the temperature of the bottom tile of mafic for some time

0.gif.84f5af6a392219c7f1c8424ba203b1fd.gif

Spaced Out! version 471883 also changes the bottom tile's temperature of mafic more extremely but it doesn't break anything

Untitled-2_.gif.f8f9842bde8559b22cf9dc338394bcdd.gif

Edit: It seems that any Mafic tile breaks transmutes to oxygen if it is next liquid oxygen, in 2 Sim steps

419557879_maficlox.thumb.PNG.a709662d5f2fa5b282f4f94611d18b69.PNG 1708246098_maficlox_.thumb.PNG.f257b005014cb03334f188e8ca0214ef.PNG

Edited by sakura_sk

Share this comment

From my testing, this works with any mafic rock tile, including natural tiles. It also seems to only work with liquid oxygen. What seems to be happening is that the liquid oxygen falls down and flakes. With other liquids/tile materials, the new gas would push the liquid back up, and that liquid would push the gas it swapped with when falling up into the gas above, merging the two gas tiles. With mafic rock and oxygen however, the new gas instead displaces the existing gas into the mafic tile next to it as if it were oxygen, causing the mafic rock in the sim to be replaced with oxygen with mass equal to the mafic rock plus the displaced gas. This works with the liquid oxygen on the left and right of the mafic tiles, but not above or below. This can be replicated with only 2 tall room as well. 

I have also tested this on pre-mergedown vanilla, and was unable to replicate it. 

Edited by Hjoyn
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

Changed Note: to Thanks for the help, bug should be fixed next time we push.

Thanks for the help, bug should be fixed next time we push.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

On 7/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, sakura_sk said:

If it was about hardness, sentimentary rock should act the same but it doesn't.

yeah you right sentimentary  have same hardness

if talk hardness, i think that seems not work normally at all, for example mafia rock gives  same result like obsidian, when overpressue with water

only what seems work correctly by hardness is the insulation tile , others is like what is happening dude

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment