Harvesting priority not working

Targa_X
  • Pending

The priority system for the Harvest ability is not working at all. If I set a "priority 6 dig" (or any other activity, such as building tiles) and a "priority 9 harvest", the Duplicants will always do the harvesting last. This is REALLY annoying, because you want to harvest ASAP, to allow the plant to continue its growth cycle. So if I have lots of jobs queued (dig, build, etc) and a plant becomes ready for harvest, I have to cancel all pending work in order to get them to go harvest the plant, then make them sweep it up and put it in the refrigerator, then redo all my former build commands.

Also annoying (not really a bug) is that when you give the command to Harvest, the Duplicant leaves the food on the ground. This forces the player to babysit harvesting in order to command the Duplicant(s) to sweep up the food and put it in the fridge. This is also a huge time waster, since a Duplicant has to walk to the plant to harvest it, then a second Duplicant has to walk there to sweep it up (or in my current case, climb 3 or more stories of ladders).  There should be a gameplay menu option (selectable radio button) for "automatically sweep up food when harvesting".

As for the original point of this post, food and oxygen are the two most important things for Duplicant survival. A priority command to harvest food should take precedence over just about all other commands. I don't believe you have this in-game at the moment, but the Priority System needs to have a built-in "second tier" to it. In other words, if a player has these 4 things all at the SAME priority level - dig, build, harvest, sweep - there should be an "order of precedence" such as harvest > build > dig > sweep.

Steps to Reproduce
With your Duplicants all busy with any other work (ex: Set them a ton of level 6 priority digs), when a plant is ready to harvest, select the harvest option and select priority 9, then click the plant. The Dupes will not stop digging.

User Feedback

I have same issue, most of the times dupes ignore harvesting even with 9 priority. I have to uncheck all other tasks types to them actually start harvesting.
Currently i have workaround for this - by having more amount of plants that i actually need and do not harvest at all - waiting for them to drop food on ground, which dupes will pickup.

Share this comment

I also have seen this same thing happen.  I actually posted about it in the feedback forum. i have noticed a couple of things about the prioritize option.

when you go into the prioritize menu, any sweep, mop, or harvest actions that have been queued will not display what priority level they were originally set at, or if they change when you try to adjust them.

Decor: paintings/sculptures/potted plants still maintain a priority level even after they have been constructed and painted/sculpted/planted.  I'm pretty sure decor does not need a priority to its decor radius.

Share this comment

Sorry about the frustration. In terms of the priority between dig and harvest, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue locally. If two things are set to the same priority, the dupes will generally do them in the order that the jobs appear in the jobs menu. Do you have a save file that reproduces the harvest/dig priority issue? 

In terms of the priority overlay, it's a bug that it doesn't show you the priorities of mop/sweep/harvests. Sorry about that.

Share this comment

Not solution, rather a workaround, but if you leave the plant unharvested, it will drop the food itself after a time and start the cycle again. With a sufficient overproduction you don't have to harvest manually.

Share this comment

Apparently bug with harvesting caused by :when you set priority tool \ harvest tool -> 9 and select your plants in plant boxes, it's not setting priority for plant to 9, it will stay in 5 as default. Can be this connected by plant box overlay plant and cause of this tool do not set priority for plant object itself.
if you however select plant manually and set priority to 9 - it will set correctly and plants will gather it.

This can be easy reproduce with any plant in box and attempt to set higher priority then default by multi-select via priority tool \ harvesting tool.

Share this comment

Also priority for plants not displaying on priority overlay - can be same issue than plant box overlapping actual plant.

Share this comment

On 2/21/2017 at 7:28 PM, Cheerio said:

Sorry about the frustration. In terms of the priority between dig and harvest, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue locally. If two things are set to the same priority, the dupes will generally do them in the order that the jobs appear in the jobs menu. Do you have a save file that reproduces the harvest/dig priority issue?

Unfortunately I don't have that save anymore, then after reading your post the priority for harvesting vs digging and constructing seemed to be working again. It wasn't until today that I once again had my dupes ignoring high priority harvesting commands for level 5 dig orders. Then it fixed itself later. It seems to be totally randomly happening.

Share this comment