Gasses spawning near geysers

nvzboy
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Locking a cool steam geyser in a room inexplicably causes more of the other gasses to spawn. As an example: in this screenshot you can see this sealed chamber has managed to build up a pressure of 5kg/s of oxygen making the geyser block up. The pressure only seems to go up when the geyser is errupting.

image.thumb.png.0c4c193a29fa7358b1b020e65fa6c225.png

I have encountered this phenomenon in multiple bases, it seems to not be limited to oxygen either, within the same base I have another geyser that spawns hydrogen for no reason and in another save I had one that flooded with Polluted oxygen over time.

Steps to Reproduce
Enclose a cool steam geyser in a room, condense the steam and watch pressure rise.

User Feedback

When it's erupting, it's putting more gas (steam) into the air, which needs space to take up, lowering the space the existing gasses have to spread across. When it condenses, water still takes up space that the existing gas did before. It seems like in this scenario what is happening is just the other gases being compacted into the lessening space available.

Edited by Geschinta

Share this comment

The pump makes sure there is only one row of water tiles. The screenshot had been taken after activity by the way, that geyser was dormant and the temperature had dropped to the point no steam was present in the room. So it's not just the steam compressing the other gasses, after the liquid has been pumped out the gass pressure should be the same as before the eruption occured.

Share this comment

12 hours ago, nvzboy said:

The pump makes sure there is only one row of water tiles. The screenshot had been taken after activity by the way, that geyser was dormant and the temperature had dropped to the point no steam was present in the room. So it's not just the steam compressing the other gasses, after the liquid has been pumped out the gass pressure should be the same as before the eruption occured.

That IS a ton of gas to have built up when you're pumping things out; now that I think about it, I've also seen unusual pressure problems elsewhere, like polluted water continuing to produce mass amounts of polluted air despite the usual 1.8kg limit being far surpassed (little pockets on the map that are 20kg polluted air that I dare not open).

Share this comment

I've noticed this myself. I enclose my cool steam geysers, and eventually they all lock up with >5kg overpressure of non-steam gasses, even if I use a gas pump to reduce the pressure to 1kg or less (provided I turn off or deconstruct the gas pump afterward).

This is possibly the gas transformation effect noted in the "matter transmuter" thread in the general discussion. That is, new steam loses the "gas fight" with an existing gas, and becomes the other gas. I've seen geyser rooms with massive quantities of natural gas or carbon dioxide in them, even though they only had trace amounts of either originally.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I've noticed this myself. I enclose my cool steam geysers, and eventually they all lock up with >5kg overpressure of non-steam gasses, even if I use a gas pump to reduce the pressure to 1kg or less (provided I turn off or deconstruct the gas pump afterward).

This is possibly the gas transformation effect noted in the "matter transmuter" thread in the general discussion. That is, new steam loses the "gas fight" with an existing gas, and becomes the other gas. I've seen geyser rooms with massive quantities of natural gas or carbon dioxide in them, even though they only had trace amounts of either originally.

I was about to say that, but in a poor english, as the froggy I am ! :D I've the exact same processus. Some hydrogen locked-up into vent steam chamber, and hydrogen pressure's keeping getting higher and higher. I had to stick a pump just below the vent to kick-out excess hydrogen pressure.

Also same kind of process actually exploited into some specific SPOM, allowing the setup to generate more hydrogen (and less oxygen) than expected from an electrolyzer.

Share this comment