game crashes after logo

sleepisforwimps
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have tried all the bug fix steps already but it still crashes right afterwards

Steps to Reproduce

this cant exactly be reproduced, I open the game and it crashes right after the logo disappears

User Feedback

@EricKlei I have the same issue with loading Spaced Out.  Since 2 minor updates ago, about April 26th?  I have not been able to load up the game.  It immediately crashes after the Klei logo disappears.  I have tried re-installing the game, and  uninstalling the 4 mods I had up, neither helped.

I have attached a zipped version of my Player.log file as you asked @Shindller1 for (the whole thing was 20.5MB and the UI said it was too big to attach).

Let me know if I can help you debug further.

Player.zip

Below is a copy of the error string I get on the "A black hole ate my game" crash report screen.

Interestingly I just realized that I have the game installed to the D: drive, not C:, and 'jenkins_workspace' doesn't seem to be a real folder.  Though perhaps it is a placeholder for something else?

Error in MainMenu_SpacedOut(Clone).MainMenu.OnPrefabInit 
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SaveLoader.GetLatestSaveForCurrentDLC () [0x0001a] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\game\SaveLoader.cs:765 
  at MainMenu.RefreshResumeButton () [0x00001] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\MainMenu.cs:521 
  at MainMenu.OnPrefabInit () [0x00134] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\scripts\ui\MainMenu.cs:125 
  at KMonoBehaviour.InitializeComponent () [0x0007f] in C:\jenkins_workspace\workspace\SimGame_Windows\game\Assets\Plugins\Klei\util\KMonoBehaviour.cs:132 

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
Debug:LogError(Object, Object) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Debug.cs:152)
DebugUtil:LogErrorArgs(Object, Object[]) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/DebugUtil.cs:191)
DebugUtil:LogException(Object, String, Exception) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/DebugUtil.cs:201)
KMonoBehaviour:InitializeComponent() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:138)
KMonoBehaviour:Awake() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:44)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Transform, Boolean)
Util:KInstantiateUI(GameObject, GameObject, Boolean) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/Util.cs:280)
FrontEndManager:OnPrefabInit() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/ui/FrontEndManager.cs:31)
KMonoBehaviour:InitializeComponent() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:132)
KMonoBehaviour:Awake() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/KMonoBehaviour.cs:44)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion)
Util:KInstantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion, GameObject, String, Boolean, Int32) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/Util.cs:215)
SceneInitializer:PreLoadPrefabs() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/SceneInitializer.cs:52)
SceneInitializer:Awake() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/SceneInitializer.cs:35)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion, Transform)
Util:KInstantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion, GameObject, String, Boolean, Int32) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/Util.cs:226)
Util:KInstantiate(Component, GameObject, String) (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/Plugins/Klei/util/Util.cs:193)
SceneInitializerLoader:Awake() (at C:/jenkins_workspace/workspace/SimGame_Windows/game/Assets/scripts/game/SceneInitializerLoader.cs:27)

Edited by Maxwell_the_Dae

Share this comment

@EricKlei It seams something has happened with my most recent colony's saves however.  None of the last 10 cycles autosaves, or the manual saves, show up to load, the single oldest autosave file is available to load for some reason.

Share this comment

Just now, Maxwell_the_Dae said:

@EricKlei It seams something has happened with my most recent colony's saves however.  None of the last 10 cycles autosaves show up to load, only a single older save file despite the fact that the folder has plenty of newer save files in it...

Could you upload those save files so I can take a look? You may need to upload them externally due to file size limits here.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Here's a copy of the saves I'm referring to.  The "The Uncomfortable Trainwreck" colony only shows the oldest autosave as available to load, while the older "Sneezing Crater" shows all files like normal.cloud_save_files.zip

2 minutes ago, EricKlei said:

Could you upload those save files so I can take a look? You may need to upload them externally due to file size limits here.

Just did so as you were asking, see previous comment.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

The autosave files you uploaded are blank containing no data. Could you try downloading the same files from this link and attach them here? You can try putting them in your save_files folder (not cloud_save_files) and see if you can load them.

Currently we are suspecting cloud saves or file permissions but are not entirely sure and would like to find out.

1. Are you playing on a different computer than the one you started the save on?
  2. Did you play this all in one sitting or restart the game in between? (i.e. did autosaves on this save work before)
  3. Do you recall roughly when you started the save or which build number you were playing?
  4. If you start a new game and let it autosave does it also not show the autosave when you restart ONI?
  5. Your log indicates you subscribed to Show Building Ranges, Bigger Building Menu, Bigger Camera Zoom Out, Drag Tool Area. Are there any other mods you subscribed to that were removed while you troubleshooted ONI crashing after the logo?
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Yeah.... now that you mention it, I can see when I compress them to .zip files the saves from after cycle 28 all compress way down to 1-2kB.

I tried downloading the cloud save files from the link and putting them in my save_files folder.  No luck.

Here's the answers to those follow-up questions as best I recall.

1.) I don't think I started on a different computer, BUT I definitely did play on my mac for a session or two and then come back.  Perhaps the last session which ended on cycle 28, the last good save.  Not sure exactly about the day/cycle.  But I know I was able to load and save on the mac, and load up again on PC after at least once.

2.) The game was done in several sittings, but it is likely I went from cycle 28 to cycle 37 (the last one) in a single sitting, it was 2 weeks ago, it might have been 2.

3.) It was 1-2 days before I found my game wouldn't load any more (see the crash on load issue above, you could probably trace back from that bug) so I think the saves were made on April 24-25th.

4.) I tested.  I made manual saves and let it autosave.  Both appear available when I quit out and restart the game.

5.) No, I only ever had those 4 mods, and I believe all 4 have been turned off since I installed Spaced Out

Share this comment

Thanks, here are some more follow up questions.

1. When you transferred your save back from your Mac is it possible you manually saved and loaded that file instead of an autosave?
  2. Can you load the autosaves still on your Mac? I'm wondering if they weren't fully synced.
  3. Would you mind sharing your Steam Cloud activity logs?
  4. Do you recall seeing the Steam Cloud conflict popup?
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 4/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, EricKlei said:

Hi, could you attach your Player.log file (instructions here). When was the last time you were able to successfully launch the game?

hi yes I can, their also attached to my original post. they will be on the attachments here to thank you

output_log.txt Player.log

Edited by sleepisforwimps

Share this comment

@sleepisforwimps It also appears as though one of your save files is not working but with a different error. Could you try the the testing branch and see if you can launch the game?

If that works the next step is figuring out which of your saves cannot be loaded. Open your newly generated Player.log file and search for "Exception while loading" and it should tell you the name of the file; there might be more than one. Attach those saves here and we will investigate.

Are you using cloud saves to play on different computers?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1. When you transferred your save back from your Mac is it possible you manually saved and loaded that file instead of an autosave?
    1. Yes, quite likely.
  2. Can you load the autosaves still on your Mac? I'm wondering if they weren't fully synced.
    1. only the same old one (day 28) shows up there, not the new ones.  At least in the UI, I'm not sure where the saves folder is on mac.
  3. Would you mind sharing your Steam Cloud activity logs?
    1. Sure, but I'm not sure they go back far enough.  I've attached the two general 'cloud_log.txt' files, and the .vdf file in the 457140 folder, that's all I see there.
  4. Do you recall seeing the Steam Cloud conflict popup?
    1. Yes have seen that conflict popup before... did I this time?... there's a good chance I did.   But not 100% certain it wasn't 3 weeks ago instead of 2.

remotecache.vdf cloud_log.txt cloud_log.previous.txt

Share this comment

Steam Cloud activity logs don't reveal anything unusual. The only thing I can think of is if you're willing to try to recreate the scenario by transferring cloud saves between your computers to see if it happens again.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment