Duplicants running Back and forth

TheZorcs
  • Pending

So i was entering a state ingame where my duplicants started to have a bit of a food issue, some were getting starvation, others just asking for food, and i was thinking, why is nobody making food when 3 microbe mushers were on priority 9.

It so happens that ALL of my duplicants started running back and forth collecting Tiny bits of Clay, (40g's) over and over. non-stop, and what it seems like, that little clay pocket for one, was not set to "sweep", and 2, it never ran out.

Disabling the "Sweep" job, did not help. So my duplicants are now dying, with nothing i can really do.

By locking a door i seemed to have saved the colony from all dying due to stavation, one sadly didn't make it, i am at cycle 56

And i hopefully have now stabilized this crisis. I highly doubt this is intended, and that they aren't meant to sweep things that aren't set to sweep.

An Air deoderizer was constantly making 40g's of Clay, causing the duplicants to want to pick that up, i don't understand why.

Steps to Reproduce
I actually have no clue why. An Air Deoderizer was emitting 40g's of clay and my duplicants were sweeping that without a sweeping order. that's all i can really say.

User Feedback

Not all of them. Specified exactly what i did. since sweeping is "collecting" items. None of the other jobs should affect that scenario.

Share this comment

Perhaps you have a storage container set to priority 9 with "sweep only" UNchecked and clay checked (among others possibly)?

Share this comment

I have the same issue happen but it usually involves water, My dupes will pick up an ugly criers tears and put them into the machine 1000g at a time, but eventually instead of putting it into the machine they turn it into water bottles, drop the bottles, then pick them up over and over again, it only ever seems to happen when I have the "Food Shortage" notification. Otherwise my issues were the exact same, even after disabling everything except for Cook they still collected the Water and dropped it.

When Cook is selected the cook themselves will also collect water/dirt, so My cooks would cook nothing regardless of priority at this point and starve. The only solution I have found was to build a Microbe Musher far away from it with a different water source in between the water bottles and the new musher. This would make then collect from that water source and crisis averted. Later on they use the bottles from the previous mess without any hassle.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Eep said:

Perhaps you have a storage container set to priority 9 with "sweep only" UNchecked and clay checked (among others possibly)?

No. i check everything in the storage containers, and i never set them to sweep only.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, TheZorcs said:

No. i check everything in the storage containers, and i never set them to sweep only.

You realize by NOT checking "sweep only", dupes will automatically sweep whatever that storage container can hold, depending on priority. Check "sweep only" to make SURE dupes don't automatically sweep and ONLY sweep when YOU mark something to sweep. Got it?

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Eep said:

You realize by NOT checking "sweep only", dupes will automatically sweep whatever that storage container can hold, depending on priority. Check "sweep only" to make SURE dupes don't automatically sweep and ONLY sweep when YOU mark something to sweep. Got it?

I'm sure you misunderstood, From my understanding, In order for duplicants to Sweep anything, they need to be ordered to. A.k.a using the Sweep order, and select an area you want them to sweep in, i had never done that, and setting a container to sweep only meaning they will focus on sweeping items and putting them in that container which is set to sweep only.

Share this comment

Just now, TheZorcs said:

I'm sure you misunderstood, From my understanding, In order for duplicants to Sweep anything, they need to be ordered to. A.k.a using the Sweep order, and select an area you want them to sweep in, i had never done that, and setting a container to sweep only meaning they will focus on sweeping items and putting them in that container which is set to sweep only.

I understood fine but you didn't write properly. Again, setting a container NOT "sweep only" with a high priority will cause dupes to CONSTANTLY sweep on their own for that container's checked contents. Be sure a storage container has priority 5 unless you want dupes to SPECIFICALLY dump stuff to it.

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, Eep said:

I understood fine but you didn't write properly. Again, setting a container NOT "sweep only" with a high priority will cause dupes to CONSTANTLY sweep on their own for that container's checked contents. Be sure a storage container has priority 5 unless you want dupes to SPECIFICALLY dump stuff to it.

I do not set my containers to Priority 9. I let them remain at priority 5.And alot of other things i set priority 7-9 on. So they shouldn't be going for a sweep without me setting a sweep order on high priority.

Share this comment

23 minutes ago, TheZorcs said:

I do not set my containers to Priority 9. I let them remain at priority 5.And alot of other things i set priority 7-9 on. So they shouldn't be going for a sweep without me setting a sweep order on high priority.

Wrong. Pay attention: if you DON'T set a storage container to "sweep only", dupes WILL automatically sweep on their own. Reread this several times before replying next time, as I tire of repeating myself...

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Eep said:

Wrong. Pay attention: if you DON'T set a storage container to "sweep only", dupes WILL automatically sweep on their own. Reread this several times before replying next time, as I tire of repeating myself...

So if i get this correctly, Sweep only = Needing the sweeping order to do any sweeping, Eventhen i shouldn't have to have that on at all, given my priority of the containers were on 5. and i wasn't ordering them to sweep, and i had several other jobs on a much much higher priority, Explain to me then why they were still prioritizing a MUCH less prioritized job. To me that doesn't make any sense.

Share this comment

1 minute ago, TheZorcs said:

So if i get this correctly, Sweep only = Needing the sweeping order to do any sweeping, Eventhen i shouldn't have to have that on at all, given my priority of the containers were on 5. and i wasn't ordering them to sweep, and i had several other jobs on a much much higher priority, Explain to me then why they were still prioritizing a MUCH less prioritized job. To me that doesn't make any sense.

Yes, this is a separate issue but, now that you understand how "sweep only" works, you can now rule that out if the storage container priority was lower.

What else uses clay that might've had a higher (or equal) priority to the microbe mushers? Planter boxes and farm tiles use clay to create but not continually. I don't know of anything that uses clay continually so, other than a storage container without "sweep only" on at an equal or higher priority I'm not sure.

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Eep said:

Yes, this is a separate issue but, now that you understand how "sweep only" works, you can now rule that out if the storage container priority was lower.

What else uses clay that might've had a higher (or equal) priority to the microbe mushers? Planter boxes and farm tiles use clay to create but not continually. I don't know of anything that uses clay continually so, other than a storage container without "sweep only" on at an equal or higher priority I'm not sure.

An Air deoderizer was set to clean the room i had a Composter in, to lower, or remove the polluted Oxygen, It was set to a priority of 5.

It was emitting 40g's of clay constantly, apparently faster than the duplicants could pick it up and store it in a container.

When making planters i usually just use dirt, since that seems to be one of the most abundant resources in the entire game.

Besides that i don't really know what caused it and how to re-create it. but it was enclosed in a tiny room, with a composter, air deoderizer, and a Storage unit, set to hold things that come out of the composter. that being fertilizer.

Share this comment

7 minutes ago, TheZorcs said:

An Air deoderizer was set to clean the room i had a Composter in, to lower, or remove the polluted Oxygen, It was set to a priority of 5.

It was emitting 40g's of clay constantly, apparently faster than the duplicants could pick it up and store it in a container.

When making planters i usually just use dirt, since that seems to be one of the most abundant resources in the entire game.

Besides that i don't really know what caused it and how to re-create it. but it was enclosed in a tiny room, with a composter, air deoderizer, and a Storage unit, set to hold things that come out of the composter. that being fertilizer.

"Enclosed in a tiny room"...with a mechanized airlock, perhaps? For some reason, these airlocks can block things on the other side so perhaps a dupe got stuck in the room and didn't have anything else better to do than pick up clay and put it in the storage locker.

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Eep said:

"Enclosed in a tiny room"...with a mechanized airlock, perhaps? For some reason, these airlocks can block things on the other side so perhaps a dupe got stuck in the room and didn't have anything else better to do than pick up clay and put it in the storage locker.

No, infact it was a regular Manual airlock. and that storage locker in the enclosed room was not set to put in any clay.

Share this comment