Can't create a new game: World won't load past 51.8%

Voxpe
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hi,I recently bought the game but the world just won't generate. I already tried waiting,doing an integrety check,reinstalling,restarting my computer,etc.

PS: The game is not frozen. It's just loading indefinetly,I can alt tab just fine and also still hear the music.

Steps to Reproduce
Just start a new game,I guess

User Feedback

Hi. Yes,it's always exactly at 51.8% when it's "Creating personal space". My PC specs are an Intel Core i5 - 7300 processor, 8 GB RAM and a GTX 1050.

Share this comment

Pretty weird.

Just a few guesses (somewhat ordered in order I would check/attempt due to complexity/likelyhood):

Disable anti-virus

Check permissions/storage space on documents folder (where saves go)

If you are OC'ing, try disabling

Probably does nothing but clear temp folder maybe fix registry errors (ccleaner)

Try booting into safemode (probably won't load without GFX drivers?)

Do a GFX drivers nuke and reinstall. (Display Driver Uninstaller)

Check RAM with RAM tester

Use a HDD/SMART tester (CrystalDiskInfo, etc)

Update any firmwares (SSD, HDD, Mobo, etc) and any I/O related drivers (SATA/chipset/etc).

Share this comment

13 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

My guess would be the anti-virus. Its blocking something essential, and the game is waiting for its release.

Nope. It's not the antivirus. I think it's some corrupted file persisting through installation. 

I posted on reddit about this,and some guy had the same problem as me. They told him to delete some file related to world generation,though he doesn't remember which. It's probably that.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Voxpe said:

Nope. It's not the antivirus. I think it's some corrupted file persisting through installation. 

I posted on reddit about this,and some guy had the same problem as me. They told him to delete some file related to world generation,though he doesn't remember which. It's probably that.

Hmm Weird it would do that in a new install unless it never installed correctly. You could nuke all the documents/appdata/registry associated with ONI and try reinstalling the game. If an integrity check didn't fix it, it's definitely a settings file or registry entry that's corrupt, IF it is corruption. Those usually get left behind even if you uninstall.

Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen

Your directory may differ, but you could try deleting that folder and doing an integrity check with Steam to rebuild it.

You aren't running any mods right? Could be one of those as well.

Edited by tommytom2k2

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Voxpe said:

Here it is. Also,in response to tommy, deleting worldgen and the files that were left behind didn't work.

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

Plugins: Failed to load 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Plugins/SimDLL.dll'

Run a files integrity check in steam.
right click on oxygen not included, properties, 'local files' tab

Share this comment

1 hour ago, krop said:

Plugins: Failed to load 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Plugins/SimDLL.dll'

Run a files integrity check in steam.
right click on oxygen not included, properties, 'local files' tab

Doesn't work. 

Share this comment

6 hours ago, Voxpe said:

Doesn't work. 

Well. Let's be sure here.

Download a program like Hash Tab and generate an MD5/CRC/SHA-1 hash and compare.

Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\Plugins\

SimDLL.dll

CRC32: 3E630436
MD5: A419B3229FBD845E1B24585A93A360FD
SHA-1: B90D8A0BBDF67646F3647B3CFE32823D3900CA70

Size: 773 KB (791,552 bytes)

I'm using the beta branch so yours might differ.

If that still matches correctly and steam says it's correct too, then something is blocking that from loading. Has to be either some kind of security (windows defender?) or a HW issue (bad HDD?).

If it doesn't match, then Steam is wrong and is not fixing it because it thinks it is right.

Edited by tommytom2k2

Share this comment

6 hours ago, tommytom2k2 said:

Well. Let's be sure here.

Download a program like Hash Tab and generate an MD5/CRC/SHA-1 hash and compare.

Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\Plugins\

SimDLL.dll

CRC32: 3E630436
MD5: A419B3229FBD845E1B24585A93A360FD
SHA-1: B90D8A0BBDF67646F3647B3CFE32823D3900CA70

Size: 773 KB (791,552 bytes)

I'm using the beta branch so yours might differ.

If that still matches correctly and steam says it's correct too, then something is blocking that from loading. Has to be either some kind of security (windows defender?) or a HW issue (bad HDD?).

If it doesn't match, then Steam is wrong and is not fixing it because it thinks it is right.

Alright.

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the hashes. And it doesn't seem to be windows defender/ other antivirus issue. I don't think it's a hardware issue (I don't even know how to check that). But I read the output log and found this:

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Mono/SimDLL

and this:

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Mono/libSimDLL

Now,I went to check the folders again and noticed not only none of these dll's is inside the Mono folder, the Mono folder is not outside the OxygenNotIncluded_Data folder. Maybe that's the issue here?

Share this comment

image.png.64e4b2bd05aa8a247746645856df8a4c.png

image.png.bc5ee3451a45478fc0bd851a5e196049.png

At least on my side (and mine works), so I assume this is the correct placement of files/folders.

If yours differs, then you can move them manually, but that would also be a bug for improper placement that needs to be fixed.

That said, I don't have any errors or even a mention of simdll in my output file, so those errors/paths might be BACKUP check locations, not actual locations they are supposed to be found. I had noticed they were spitting out the wrong directories that they were checking but I cann't claim I know how the game is coded so I dismissed them as such.

Edit:

Upon further inspection:

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Mono/libSimDLL

Plugins: Failed to load 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Plugins/SimDLL.dll' with error 'Não foi possível encontrar o módulo especificado.
'.

As you can see, the fallback non-existing files are fine. They are fallbacks. If you notice, it DOES find the simdll but it "fails to load". Something is preventing it from loading or causing a crash in it's code (should read as "failed to run code in simdll without exiting prematurely").

Edit2:

"Não foi possível encontrar o módulo especificado" translates to "The specified module could not be found"

But, that could be wrong. Considering the actually not found files have a different error. It's not finding it when trying to load.
It's almost as if the file is found, but when it tries to load it, it's not finding it (path not properly read/escaped). Could also be one of those errors that simply isn't what it says. The module crashing could look like it wasn't found.

As far as checking HW (i'd guess RAM or HDD), you can easily check the HDD's S.M.A.R.T information with plenty of programs. I personally either use CrystalDiskInfo or HDDTunePro (non-free, but you can use the trial for this). Actually checking the HW is a different story. Not sure how much of the free trial of HDTunePro you can use. I think it mostly blocks benchmarks, IIRC, or just stops working after the trial. I know it puts a watermark on the benchmarks at least showing it's a trial. RAM is a bit harder to check. Highly doubt it is that. Some mobos/OS come with some BIOS/recovery options to run memtest86 or similar. If not, you would have to make a bootable USB/CD or something to reboot into memtest/etc.

Edit3:

Do this real quick:
Uninstall the game.
Install again but pick a new install location.
Pick a folder like c:\SteamLibrary (or another drive, if you have one).

If that works, is probably some permission or some x64/x86 path translation bug (I have heard this is a problem with some languages). That, or the HDD is going out if it works on another drive. I doubt it's the drive though as uninstall//reinstall is highly unlikely to corrupt the same exact file and even the hash matches, so... yeah.

Edited by tommytom2k2

Share this comment