Bio distiller does not function

Omnimatt
  • Pending

After creating multiple bio distillers with pipes and power connected - they attempt to function but it appears as if the mechanic is not finished. Several problems arise when using them. First a "resource shortage" message indicates that there is no slime even when you have an abundance of slime not only in storage but also laying around everywhere from the little puff fish as indicated in the top right "resources" display that shows you how much of your resources are available. When that issue isn't happening the duplicants will go and gather up like 10 x as much slime as necessary at once and go and throw it in a single bio distiller even when you have multiple distillers. Then the bio distiller will cease to function and the slime disappears with no algae production as if the required slime was not just collected and delivered. The duplicants will keep doing this and the problem will keep repeating as long as slime is available. Algae is hardly ever produced but when I was able to get it to function the display that pops up when you click on an object for the details and stats indicates that no algae is being produced even when the bio distillers are functioning. Very little algae is produced when it does manage to work. Like 10 kg at a time which is a major waste of time, ultimately leading the duplicants to their eventual demise due to the finite amount of algae available in the map forcing the player to lean on more advanced oxygen production methods such as through a finite water supply.

Steps to Reproduce
Simply get bio distillers up and running and observe. When I noticed the "bug" I had 4 or 5 distillers lined up in a slime biome powered by a couple of coal generators with a few large batteries as well as a single pipe collecting the contaminated water run off from the distillers dispersing the contaminated liquid to a contaminated water source. I would assume that is a pretty standard set up.

User Feedback

I can also confirm this. It's happening in my world too.

I have 2 bio distillers all set up next to an area with 2 puffs producing slime. When they are active the exact description stated above happens. Even when it's turned off the slime still goes in and  disappears. A tiny bit of polluted water comes out and that's it.

I have attached my save file and the 2 bio's are at the top next to the slime farm area. They are turned off at the moment. 

Super Planet.sav

Share this comment

In super_planet.sav, what's happening is the pufts are not producing much slime so the dupes bring the slime to the distillery, it converts the little bit of slime to algae and then waits for more slime. The distillery only drops algae every 10kg so that the dupes don't keep running back and forth picking up little chunks of algae. I dug out some more slime in your save and everything seemed to be working properly.

Share this comment

Eh, I think I was reading the g as kg by mistake in my save after closer inspection. But still, after I realized that I was out of slime I noticed that the distillers do function but I hit the fast forward button to observe the distillers as they worked and I noticed that it doesn't tell you how much algae is being produced when you click on them. It just states that 0.0 algae per second is being produced and only when the algae decides to pop out of the distillery it will flash up for about a second and state that 3333.33 g of algae is being produced per second. At first glance it would appear as if the distillers are doing absolutely nothing since the pop up display displays the "algae produced per second" as 0. Also, I had 2 pufts floating around all the way up to cycle 50 on that map so I was a bit surprised to learn that I was indeed already out of slime. Partially due to my inability to correctly read g vs kg. I'm not sure how much slime the pufts are supposed to be able to produce by themselves but I'm going to study it in another save and see how it works. It turns out the bio distillers are not as much of a waste of time as i thought. I'm sure as the game gets developed balancing and tweaking will happen. Also, somehow I lost a puft somewhere. 

Also, it appears as if every time algae is produced out of a distiller it claims that 3333.33 g are produced per second so I'm guessing that is the rate at which it is consistently produced even when it claims 0 algae is being produced. It's hard to tell though since the numbers only flash up when it pops algae out. So, it makes me think upon first glance that only 3333 g of algae is produced out of one distiller only 3 times a day. But I'm honestly not sure because when I look at the ground there's 20 kg or over 100 kg of algae sitting in front of the distillers ready for collection. Maybe because the dupes haven't collected from that pile in a while or the distillers produce more than what they appear to, I don't know. I didn't do any hard core math or anything like that but I observed it more closely like this. I hate to leave a misleading bug report in this section considering the thousands of others that are already here.

Thanks for your comment Cheerio.

Edited by Omnimatt

Share this comment

15 hours ago, Cheerio said:

In super_planet.sav, what's happening is the pufts are not producing much slime so the dupes bring the slime to the distillery, it converts the little bit of slime to algae and then waits for more slime. The distillery only drops algae every 10kg so that the dupes don't keep running back and forth picking up little chunks of algae. I dug out some more slime in your save and everything seemed to be working properly.

ok I'll have another check when I get home from work. Thanks.

Share this comment

I'm getting this too 4 Aug 2017,

2000 units of slime, power is there, pipes connected, battery right next to the bio distiller and priority is 8.  Algae is just not being created.   Might have to take a break from this version as colony is out of algae and near suffocating.

Trainwreck 946.sav

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, danskspiller said:

I'm getting this too 4 Aug 2017,

2000 units of slime, power is there, pipes connected, battery right next to the bio distiller and priority is 8.  Algae is just not being created.   Might have to take a break from this version as colony is out of algae and near suffocating.

Trainwreck 946.sav

Your pipe is not finished. Don't necro a 5 month old bug report for a general discussion post.

Share this comment

Good spotting,

That said, I wasn't trying to bump/necro/troll anything, this looked like the most relevant thread, the comment at the top said the post wasn't confirmed by a dev yet so I posted here. 

The game's machine alerting doesn't tell you if is it's halted by an unfinished pipe.

Unfinished electrical circuits will show up red, unfinished pipe was white and hidden by the lavatory.  Just  a case of fixitating on the wrong part of the map.

So... to the next person with a bio filter issue

Double/Tripple tripple check the path of all pipes from start to finish, make sure there are no missing connections
Ditto for wires.

P.S off topic - Is there a way that devs moderators can have a status flag by their name so we know whether we're chatting to a regular user or a mod/dev?

Edited by danskspiller
want to be more polite.

Share this comment