Allergies are too powerful?

soundasleep
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

I am generally loving the revamp of diseases in QoL Mk 3! Even though my base now seems to be continually suffering from Slimelung, at least it's not deadly anymore.

But I've noticed that one of the new negative traits, Allergic, seems to be really really powerful, especially in the early game (maybe until you've got a mid/late-game base that can churn out enough medicine to counteract it?).

As soon as my Dupe smells a single whiff of a flower, she's basically useless until it's cured. She can't carry things up ladders without sneezing (and dropping things), she can't generate power without sneezing (and falling off), she barely manages to fend off sneezing long enough to eat anything... her stress keeps on hitting 80%+.

Normally my base is fed with Bristle Blossoms, but because they generate Floral Scents, and farming is so frequently visited, my base is now almost 20% Floral Scents - at least, until mid-game when maybe I can build some better airlocks to my farms?

Is Allergic supposed to be this powerful? Do I just murder the Dupe and get a new one? As it stands it's now at the top of my "Never accept this trait" list.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Get a dupe with Allergic trait 2. Have a single Bristle Blossom 3. Watch as the Dupe catches Allergic Reaction over and over again, forever

User Feedback

I noticed this trait in a potential new dupe and searched for it here.

I'm guessing this is partially implemented since dupes without the trait don't appear to be affected.

Share this comment

In the last few hours I've had a bit more time to play with the system, it's not so bad as long as:

1) you put the dupe in their own sleeping quarters (I'm not sure if their constant coughing & sneezing wakes others up?); and

2) you prevent the dupe from ever entering any farming area, using access permissions; and

3) you understand the dupe will drop about half of everything they ever pick up, so try to keep long ladders to a minimum; and

4) you understand the dupe will be unavailable permanently about 20% of their time, and their stress will continually range between 0-90%.

Or, you never have any Bristle Blossoms (or critters that feed on them) in your base.

Edited by soundasleep

Share this comment

It seems that when the doctor(s) is(are), they just stop treating patients and the situation deteriorates rapidly and everything will be out of control. 

Share this comment

It looks like maybe it's because Floral Scents + Allergies are being treated (incorrectly) as Zombie Spores?

My allergic dupe has "The spores!" giving them +200% stress per cycle.

See also:

Share this comment