All textures are missing on linux (4.11+, mesa)

Vectrobe
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

All textures are missing from the game on startup, the only thing that loads is the font, the rest is all just black, which means you cant even see the menus unless they have white text...

Steps to Reproduce
Install on kubuntu 17.04 or greater...

User Feedback

this also affects 17.10 in exactly the same way...

specs are an A4-5000 (1.5GHz jaguar quadcore +  2CU GCN) with 4GB of 1600 RAM, so within minimum specs and perfectly capable of storing all the textures...

Share this comment

mesa drivers, because the AMD proprietary drivers have been retired since 16.04...

Haven't directly checked yet though whether 17.10 uses the Radeon mesa drivers or AMDGPU by default...
Radeon, may try the alternative AMD open drivers though...

Edited by Paul17041993

Share this comment

well I've tested AMDGPU on both 4.13 and 4.15 and it all works exactly the same, so it definitely seems to be a bug with ONI directly as nothing else is affected, are texture loads being verified?

Player.log

I actually just tested besiege to see if it was unity specific, but surprisingly it ran pretty well for a detailed 3D game, didn't see any texture issues and it was reasonably playable...

I could attach its log as well if you wanted to compare, though it's much more verbose due to the shear amount of materials and textures compared to oni...

Share this comment

Well I'm out of ideas, lets wait for a dev. Just to be thorough, can you get a screenshot of the rubbish screen?

Share this comment

oh, the one texture on the side loads as well as the font, but that's it as far as I can tell, so this could either be textures or material errors, though there's no specific compile errors in the logs that I could find...

Screenshot_20180116_210027.png

Screenshot_20180116_210057.png

Screenshot_20180116_211444.png

It also apparently uses significantly less memory than it does on windows, so unless there's a lot of memory optimisation on the linux builds compared to windows (which wouldn't surprise me though as linux is much more efficient in general...), most of the textures don't seem to be loaded into memory...

Share this comment

They're around, usually they don't reply unless they are confirming a bug or have something important to say.

Share this comment

okay, if they want they could make a simple test project that contains at least the shaders at fault, so I can load it up in unity on the laptop to debug. Though if they're using 2018.1 it may just be a similar compiler bug that's blocked one of my projects...

Share this comment

4 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Well someone else had the same issue as you and installing the AMD drivers worked for him

Well their's is a completely different setup, so it's not that simple, I'm on the 2nd gen GCN in an APU and, as of late, kernel 4.15 with the official AMD drivers... (not the ones from the website, you cant install those as they're retired and only for legacy kernels, such as the 4.9 that they're using)

This is generally why I'm asking for a minimal unity project that I can load up directly and debug, so I can give back a patch and/or talk to the unity devs about the bug... (I'm yet to reproduce it with other unity projects)

Share this comment