+1000 cycle colony always crashes on this one next day

babba
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

+1000 cycle colony always crashes on this one next day

The attached colony always crashes on my system when the next new days starts.

Please let the save run for 5 minutes to replicate.

My system is super stable with a hundred installed games and ONI colonies often run thousands of cycles without problems.

Please load the savegame on to a gaming computer and let it runs for 5 minutes until the next day starts.

I tried a lot of things on the map, but the game always crashes at the next day.

Repro:

Please load on gaming PC and let it runs for 5 minutes. It always crashes on the one specific next day. I can't play the save anymore, please fix.

geil2.sav

>>> Also the crash handler often doesn't work, I can never submit this kind of saves to you developers via the in-game crash handler. Please spend further time on improving the in-game crash savegame uploader. Thank you.

### Superstable system: i7700k, 32b ram, gtx1060, win10, no ONI mods every used or installed

Steps to Reproduce
Load on to gaming PC and let it runs for 5 minutes. It always crashes on the one specific next day. I cant play the save anymore, please fix.

User Feedback

This may happen because one of your planed tasks is faulty. This may be a deconstructing task, or some digging or everything else. 

If possible, relocate all of your dupes back into your main base, lock the door, and cancel all tasks there. If the game runs fine from that point on, its something your dupes would do somewhere on the map. Cancel everything one at a time, and try again. 

The wierd thing about this is, after canceling and doing it again, it may work, though nothing is done different. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

It's an interesting and helpful tip, thank you very much. Do you know of a debug console command to flush all dupes task`s list`s ?

@SharraShimada

Perhaps it would be good if Klei implements this as a button into the game, if that may be the cause of long term base crashes for players.

I had been reloading the previous saves, up to 10 cycles earlier. The thing is that the game is kind of pre-planned to crash at my specific crash cycle, I was not able to pinpoint the gameplay crash cause. Maybe I find time to build a dupe lockup room and try to prevent them from having any work tasks in their lists, 10 cycles ahead of the crash. I had already changed the scheduler to all day sleeping or all day working, the crash still happens.

As this kind of crashes always tends to come with a colony after 500-2000 cycles, I kind ask the developers to load my save and to fix this kind of problems for all players. I don't want to start another colony again and again to run into the same crash problems after a long time playing. This is already another colony, because the previous 2 colonies had similar cashes after + 1000 cycles working on them.

Edited by babba

Share this comment

I tried your save and problem is that when I loaded it, it showed you have 48 dupes alive.
But 4 of them are actually dead and stuck behind some objects. Two are behind trees, one body is behind water sieve and one behind wash basin.

Click on dupe names under "vitals" list and where you don't see "Move To" button, those 4 are dead but didn't die properly. First two and last two if I remember correctly.
Uproot those two trees and deconstruct sieve and basin with yellow alert so it is done before new day and duplicant count should drop to 44.
After that I could run your save to cycle 1552+.

So maybe some bug when dupe dies while working on something...

• Like 1

Share this comment

Hey @bzgzd, thanks for your great help. You have Sherlock Holmes skills !

I recently found the dupe dead behind the water sieve, but I didn't know there was more dead in a kind of non-dead state and stuck behind objects.

Thank you once more, this really means a lot to me - I thought I had to wait a few months before I can play ONI again.

Big hug from me :D

...Will make them truly dead and unblock them.

Klei, please make dupes truly dead, avoid having the stuck half dead behind of objects and please fix this crash problem.

I think I had crashes because of this already in the past.

image.png.c48c6290255a9e84569cabdf43e124c5.png

Dead, but not properly dead. Got stuck and died because the tree was growing or because dirt had been brought to the tree ?

image.png.261ab151087ff9b2bcf6244117eafd37.png

Stuck because the tree is growing or because dirt had been brought to the tree ? In the process of dying. I didnt notice.

image.png.1239fa25e3826f7fd004b137bcb4b084.png

Another dupe stuck behind a water sieve. I didnt notice. The sieve had been built ages ago, so perhaps he got stuck by loading filtration medium into the sieve?

These dead or unnoticed dying dupes behind of objects lead to game crashes. In these cases there is no warnings to the player that dupes got stuck and are dying. Then it's just a matter of time until a crash happens.

Dear Klei, please load the savegame and look at the described objects and problems, which lead to game crashes.

Edited by babba
  • Haha 1

Share this comment

Doooh, deconstructing the tree tile where a dead lays within instantly caused a crash :(

The "Report Crash" uploader is also broken and does not work, it doesn't upload the file :(

image.png.9c9780a4b7f4cc7ed7cd5e26cae1c31a.png

However, the savegame is attached in my first post here.

image.thumb.png.6430dd82da291983bc4e13720ed82f6c.png

Edited by babba

Share this comment

If you have sandbox enabled, just delete the tree and the corps. Because this is not a task, it wont crash most of the time. 

If you dont have sandbox enabled, enable it in options-> game > bottom.

• Like 1

Share this comment

We often describe bug fixing as solving a murder mystery, but this is the first time someone has actually reported mysterious corpses found inside the water filter and buried in the farm!

I've fixed the crash that's stopping the game here for the next patch, but there are still duplicant bodies where they should not be, I'll continue looking into that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this comment