Simulation is not deterministic but dependent on game speed

Masterpintsman
  • Known Issue

The simulation is not  deterministic but dependent on game speed.

Letting the attached save run on slow and it'll work as expected (lights stay on, constant stream of hydrogen to all generators, backlog slowly builds infront of the valves), let it run on fastest speed and the lights go out.

Determinism.png

Expected result: the game speed setting should only modify the frequency the internal state machine is updated, without changing the determinism of the simulation.

Save: Gas Pump Amount.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Load the save - let it run on normal and it works as expected, let it run on max speed and it dosn't.

User Feedback

I tested with v.210489 and it works fine.

The only problem i see with this that you dont distribute hydrogen evenly because of the "going through" pipes. If you dont branch off for input ports then the gas can move back 1 tile to merge with another packet, and in the current situation it causes that the 3rd hydrogen generator doesnt get steady supply of gas.

Share this comment

I just repeated the test with CL#Tu-211197 and a branching setup.

Bug report revised from the original one (that the gas pump dosn't pump what is advertised) to that the game speed setting has an influence on determinism.

6 hours ago, Risu said:

What speed are you watching them run at?

Thanks @Risu for the right question, imho Klei should hire you to fix their bugs.

Edited by Masterpintsman
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Also, in  v.210489 if you use the dev ultra speed it breaks the gas pipe flow simulation and turning it back to normal speeds wont fix it. (dont know if its the same on newer versions)

Share this comment

I hope this is high priority to be fixed.  This is bad if their simulation is not deterministic at all time factor.

Share this comment