Unfair Client Only Mods need to be addressed

batnap
  • Closed

Let's start things off by saying that I am supportive of people using client side only mods to assist their multiplayer experience, but only if the mods change a mechanic that can be mastered without using the mod, or are just quality of life. You don't have to use a mod to predict crockpot recipes, predict your temperature, days until the next season, the next full moon, ect. Mods just make it easier to manage this knowledge that's given to you. But mods that make the entire DST experience easier, in ways that's impossible to learn, should not be allowed to be client side only.

image.thumb.png.e291910551e9ea412e2f93dd4727a102.png

This mod, Camera Tweaks, is Client side only. It allows you to zoom an incredible distance away from your character, giving you the magical ubiquitous ability to spot things other players are unable to, giving you an unfair advantage, especially in PVP. Not only that, but it makes the game ugly in the process! Not everything spawns on the edges of the screen, but it sure does reveal 2/3 more objects than you'd normally see. If you zoom out too far there's a giant black void that engulfs the land, and the waves go nuts too. A ton of DST's enjoyment for many players comes from a sense of accomplishment in how they've learned the game's mechanics, and how they can contribute to a team of other players. Knowing that other players can unfairly find things first and know exactly where to go just because of a simple mod takes that feeling away. It's impossible for me to enjoy multiplayer just because of this. This is just straight up cheating.

• Like 1

User Feedback

No. Why do you even care about people who use this mod? Just don't use it for yourself and that's it, or play on privates

Edited by Duck986
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

20 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

No. Why do you even care about people who use this mod? Just don't use it for yourself and that's it, or play on privates

Nah. If you read my post you'd know why I care. I'm not sure where this mentality of "Just let people use whatever they want" comes from. Would you be saying the same thing if there were a client side only mod that let you spawn in any item in the game?

DST is a game with a huge focus on exploration and rewarding you for it. Being able to spot things a mile away when others without the mod cannot is unfair.

Edited by batnap

Share this comment

If people generally want the default camera to zoom further out then it should just be added to the game and supported fully. Not hidden as a mod in a DST tips and tricks video. Also this mod makes the game look terrible. It's like getting a mod for a FPS that sets the grass quality to none. It makes the game look worse aesthetically to give you an advantage over other players.

Share this comment

12 minutes ago, slurper gaming said:

smh doesnt talk about water walking

it doesn't justify the mod being client side only

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, slurper gaming said:

there is a client water walking mod and it works

OHH i thought you meant walking alongside water to reveal the map. That sounds awful. Could you link the mod or make another post?

Edited by batnap

Share this comment

I'm sure the reason Klei hasn't done anything about this is because there's many big name Twitch streamers who use camera mods, but they often play alone anyways. I believe a solution everyone would enjoy is to do away with editable camera variables and create a lategame item that allows the player to temporarily zoom out and see their surrounding area.

12 minutes ago, Well-met said:

agreed

thank you

Edited by batnap

Share this comment

18 minutes ago, batnap said:

I'm sure the reason Klei hasn't done anything about this is because there's many big name Twitch streamers who use camera mods

The real reasoning would be because it is not exactly a feasible thing to fix.

• Like 4

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

The real reasoning would be because it is not exactly a feasible thing to fix.

Hahaha this guy

Imagine not knowing that ingame variables can be made to be unchangeable rather easily by Klei and that they've done it before

People have told Klei how to fix this problem before, they may have just uhhhh missed it. :/

Edited by batnap

Share this comment

7 hours ago, batnap said:

I'm not sure where this mentality of "Just let people use whatever they want" comes from. Would you be saying the same thing if there were a client side only mod that let you spawn in any item in the game?

If person is not a ****, they will play so they will not disrupt other's game. If they use these mods... well, don't play with them if they refuse to turn them off, it's that simple.

Btw Too Many Items is a client mod allows you to spawn any item in the game... only if you are a server admin. Despite that, many players use it.

Edit: I also personally use Camera Tweaks on publics, and I see nothing wrong with this, because other players can use it too.

Edited by Duck986

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

If person is not a ****, they will play so they will not disrupt other's game. If they use these mods... well, don't play with them if they refuse to turn them off, it's that simple.

Btw Too Many Items is a client mod allows you to spawn any item in the game... only if you are a server admin. Despite that, many players use it.

Edit: I also personally use Camera Tweaks on publics, and I see nothing wrong with this, because other players can use them too.

._. ....

Share this comment

I suggested once to make a server mod that crashes your game (or just doesn't allow you to connect - just got this idea) if it detects a forbidden mod in your active mod list, yet I was heavily criticized, sooooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Duck986

Share this comment

14 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Edit: I also personally use Camera Tweaks on publics, and I see nothing wrong with this, because other players can use it too.

I used it too but I'm willing to admit that I know its cheating? Using it disrupts people's games no matter what, its called the butterfly effect.

7 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

I suggested once to make a server mod that crashes your game (or just doesn't allow you to connect - just got this idea) if it detects a forbidden mod in your active mod list, yet I was heavily criticized, sooooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Server mods can't read your code or detect files on your PC without special permissions, they can only change code so this is actually impossible.

Edited by batnap

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, batnap said:

i mean i use it too but its still cheating and I know its cheating when its likely other players aren't using it?

good for you. some players count this as cheat, some don't. it's like with Nightvision for Free (client-side) - some think it's cheating because it allows you to see in the dark (like me), some don't because you still need a light source to not be attacked by Charlie.

come on, it's a sandbox, both in gameplay and modding. except when we're talking about mods monetization, like with Myth Words.

3 minutes ago, batnap said:

I use it too but I'm willing to admit that I know its cheating? Using it disrupts people's games no matter what, its called the butterfly effect.

See my answer above

Server mods can't read your code or detect files on your PC without special permissions, they can only change code so this is actually impossible.

Probably, I know close to nothing about lua modding, but I was criticized because of heavy disruption (like "intentionally crashing your game because of one mod, seriously?")

Share this comment

26 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

good for you. some players count this as cheat, some don't. it's like with Nightvision for Free (client-side) - some think it's cheating because it allows you to see in the dark (like me), some don't because you still need a light source to not be attacked by Charlie.

come on, it's a sandbox, both in gameplay and modding. except when we're talking about mods monetization, like with Myth Words.

Okay define cheating, because cheating is called cheating because its gaining an advantage unfairly. Unfair is not something that should be allowed with mods. I agree that Nightvision shouldn't be free. It makes the moggles obsolete, and puts someone who has to farm for moggles at a disadvantage. Just like how someone with the camera mod could find caves first, or chester, pig houses, pig king, beefalo, the ruins, or disjointed biomes before anyone else.

Klei have made changes to mods in the past to be server only, because they were unfair.

You call it a sandbox in modding but what do you mean by that?  Client only mods exist from Klei putting anticheat measures into the game?

Edited by batnap

Share this comment

In my personal opinion with quite some experience on public servers, the way of fixing this problem would be to implement some kind of a blocklist for workshop mods, where the server owner could, if he wants to, explicitly state what mods should be blocked (not load on the client joining the server) using their workshop id.

This would also block all local client mods since it's hard to identify them.

• Sad Dupe 1

Share this comment

Changed Status to Closed

This wouldn't be considered a bug and is better suited for suggestions/feedback. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

This is now closed for further comments