Pirate raids attack Wonkey player

Pig Princess
  • Pending

When one has exactly 10 accursed trinkets and is Wonkey already, pirate raids still can happen. It happened to me at least 4 times since Curse of Moon Quay update and each time this specific condition was fullfilled and was the only one in common, so I'm pretty sure something like ">" instead of ">=" in check causes this situation.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Acquire 10 accursed trinkets and become Wonkey.

2. Sail more and eventually be raided.

User Feedback

The raid still happen but monkey only steal stuff on boat and wont attack wonkey. This also allow you to tame prime mate, as if you feed him with food he ll become your follower.
I think it is intended for pirate to raid wonkey, as lots of benefit come along with it.

Share this comment

Monkeys from raids don't attack any character right away. But monkey raids should not happen in case Wonkey at all, since he has right of passage.

This is clearly a bug where Wonkey's right of passage doesn't trigger.

For comparison, if player got 11-12 trinkets from previous raids, right of passage works and raids don't target Wonkey's boat at all, just like they should.

Edited by Pig Princess

Share this comment

13 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

For comparison, if player got 11-12 trinkets from previous raids, right of passage works and raids don't target Wonkey's boat at all, just like they should.

I dont think there are such thing as right of passage for trinket, right of passage only happen on banana trades. raid only happen when you are in certain rainge of monkey island, so i think you misunderstood it and think raid doesnt happen when you have certain amount of trinket.

• Like 1

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Tranoze said:

I dont think there are such thing as right of passage for trinket, right of passage only happen on banana trades. raid only happen when you are in certain rainge of monkey island, so i think you misunderstood it and think raid doesnt happen when you have certain amount of trinket.

Right of passage just prevents monkeys in a certain radius on the island from stealing from the player, but doesn't prevent raids.

Pirate raids still occur as wonkey as the game doesn't do any checks iirc, it's just that the monkeys won't attack Wonkey (I don't remember if they steal stuff though, I forget).

I imagine there isn't really a way to check under a multiplayer setting either.

Edited by lakhnish

Share this comment

Except I sailed as Wonkey for hours in close proximity of monkey island (cleared accursed trinkets before certain bug was fixed), and in general sailed a lot as Wonkey and non-Wonkey (due to other resources being near in some worlds). Pirates attacked me much more as non-Wonkey compared to Wonkey including area very close to the island. I was alone on a boat.

It might be just randomness of their spawning, but probability of me getting attacked so many times as non-Wonkey and so little times as Wonkey is abysmally small with the same attack chance for both and roughly the same activities as both, since we are talking about dozens of raids (maybe even hundred or two at this point).

Anyway, even if it appears to be not feature somehow, I guess this report can be viewed as feedback and suggestion to make Wonkey immune to pirate raids (as long as boat has only Wonkey(s) on it, just like pirates don't attack empty boats).

Edited by Pig Princess

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

It might be just randomness of their spawning,

It is just exactly that. RNG mechanics can come off so inconsistent(My main issue with pirate raids as a mechanic, their spawning, but that's a topic for another post) I've sailed for years nearby the monkey island and gotten no raids, then I sail for a few days and get like two back to back. If you want to test yourself, get yourself on a boat near the monkey island and run 

TheSim:SetTimeScale(10)

as a command, and in due time you'll see pirate raids can happen with 10 cursed trinkets.

Share this comment

I just tested pirate raids spawning with TheSim:SetTimeScale(10) command (thank you, @Hornete, without such speedup I couldn't convince myself to test it for enough in-game days), and pirates indeed spawn regardless of amount of trinkets (I tested with 12).

This is very odd, considering I was observing mentioned above specific behaviour on vanilla servers. I just want to calculate what was the chance (minimum and maximum taking into account 3 zones of spawning) of me sailing for at least whole season as Wonkey clearing remnants of roughly 13 pirate raids, that were spawned as non-Wonkey previously, as well as me spawning only 4 raids as Wonkey for the whole time I sailed since update in proximity of island - and all 4 being with exactly 10 trinkets (so each pirate raid should have had 5 monkeys instead of 6, I never sailed very early in range of pirates and for substantial amount of time so could roll only 5 or 6 trinkets per raid). Those are some green-gem-from-tumbleweed-levels of spawning, maybe even lower. That being said, I regularly roll things like getting only 1 tentacle spot from killing 5 giant tentacles (10 rolls) instead of at least 2, double pirate raids, sometimes even triple raids, as well as 3 krampus sacks in a row from Klaus when I don't need them (due to obtaining another krampus sack in last fight (after dozens of prior fights) or deciding to use insulated pack/piggyback for eternity on given server), getting split across whole caves ruins 3 times in a row when I decide to practise some ruins rushing strategy (and normal ruins pretty much every other time), etc. If such entity as personified fortune existed, I would be in mocklist.

And since it appears player was never safe as Wonkey from raids, does that mean right of passage obtained via trading bananas to the queen also doesn't grant immunity from pirate raids during those 4 minutes?

I just want to know how worse it was than I actually thought. That absence of immunity even as Wonkey in combination with pirate stash now containing only 20 individual items (and deleting extras) - in addition to being unable to prevent stealing even with banana - is just last straw that broke camel's neck. It wasn't ideal mechanic previously, and the biggest offender to me was holding F and tanking being the only way to combat raid, but I still put up with it because of other ocean content. I definitely won't sail anymore past getting to CC and mining some salt for duplication - on barebone boat that would at max have firepit and lightning rod, and that I won't even try to save from sinking once pirate raid rams it. A shame, since I enjoyed sailing for a while and building boat base(s).

Edited by Pig Princess

Share this comment

30 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

And since it appears player was never safe as Wonkey from raids, does that mean right of passage obtained via trading bananas to the queen also doesn't grant immunity from pirate raids during those 4 minutes?

No, the right of passage only stops monkies from stealing from players(Doesn't even stop them from cracking chests or picking items from the floor). Plus the global right of passage is only granted specifically as Wonkey and if you still have any trinkets left over at the end of the trade.

• Sad Dupe 1

Share this comment

13 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Plus the global right of passage is only granted specifically as Wonkey and if you still have any trinkets left over at the end of the trade.

So does that mean if I got rid of all trinkets (turned back from Wonkey to my character of choice) I have no immunity? Also I just checked wiki and it says that trade should result in something (was that always a thing?). Does that mean I can't activate right of passage if I already have blueprints learned and just decided to activate right of passage without being Wonkey prior?

Edit: good thing I always opt for gearing towards complete monkey extinction with fire staves and whatnot before doing any activities on the island.

Edit 2: what I mean in 1st paragraph is if I decide to trade away most of the trinkets and remain Wonkey, but then decide to make last trade and get rid of trinkets in one action, does that mean I won't rectivate right of passage? Or another case: if I'm playing as my character of choise and obtain 1-4 trinkets without turning Wonkey, does that mean I won't activate right of passage by getting rid of them?

Edited by Pig Princess

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

So does that mean if I got rid of all trinkets (turned back from Wonkey to my character of choice) I have no immunity?

If you get rid of your trinkets all at once, you'll have the right of passage from your 2nd last trade. Otherwise you get no right of passage if you become your character of choice from Wonkey.

9 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

Also I just checked wiki and it says that trade should result in something (was that always a thing?).

The Monkey Queen will only give you her blueprints if you are curse-free.

10 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

Does that mean I can't activate right of passage if I already have blueprints learned and just decided to activate right of passage without being Wonkey prior?

Right of Passage can be activated just fine with blueprints already learned.

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

The Monkey Queen will only give you her blueprints if you are curse-free.

I mean situation when I learned blueprints already, wasn't holding any trinkets prior trade and traded banana.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Right of Passage can be activated just fine with blueprints already learned.

But only if I'm removing trinkets and some of them are still remaining in my inventory, right?

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Pig Princess said:

But only if I'm removing trinkets and some of them are still remaining in my inventory, right?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment