[From Dev Stream] Water Balloons Don't Make Creatures Wet

lakhnish
  • Pending

This is the clip of interest from last week's Dev Stream, particularly about when stuff is and isn't wet.

It's hard to extrapolate cause the topic switches from Water Balloons and Creatures to the dummytarget not being able to get wet since it's a debug thing. 

Based on that, I don't know what the intended mechanics of Water Balloons are.

Regardless, Water Balloons don't make mobs wet.

It only works on Dfly and players cause they have the moisture component to them. Adding the moisture component to other mobs in the game seems to cause extremely severe FPS issues, which is probably why the game checks to see if the world is wet in order to assign wetness to creatures (and the moisture component drastically weakens electrical weapons as a whole for other reasons).

I don't know what the intention or design behind Water Balloons were either, only the information that I mentioned above. I've seen a lot of players think that Water Balloons makes things wet (cause of it's name and intuition), though it works differently cause of how it was coded after some investigating.

Don't know if its worth the effort to rework Water Balloons either (waterprojectiles.lua is it's file in the prefabs folder).

Suggestion?

Maybe some sort of system where X number of Water Balloons just adds and removes the wetness tag after some time on mobs/structures (without the use of the moisture component so that FPS isn't an issue)?

I don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steps to Reproduce
Throw Water Balloons at a mob (pigman). See that the number of hits is the same with and without throwing water balloons at it. Do lots of investigating to learn the Water Balloon mechanics.

User Feedback

I don't know why the Dragonfly is the only mob that gets wet from water balloons, but it's been that way long enough that the wikia mentions it. I've had several boss fights with other bosses where I tried to throw balloons to dampen the boss to make use of my Morning Star and succeeded only in causing distress and confusion to our WX-78 player.

• Haha 1

Share this comment

4 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I don't know why the Dragonfly is the only mob that gets wet from water balloons, but it's been that way long enough that the wikia mentions it. I've had several boss fights with other bosses where I tried to throw balloons to dampen the boss to make use of my Morning Star and succeeded only in causing distress and confusion to our WX-78 player.

i assume its cause you can use waterballons on dfly to make her rage away

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, BeliarBAD said:
5 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

i assume its cause you can use waterballons on dfly to make her rage away

It's particularly for this, and the fact that it has the moisture component in it's lua file (only players and Dfly has this component).

Edited by lakhnish
"component")
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Yeah, I got that. I'm just not sure why the Dragonfly and only the Dragonfly is the one to have the moisture component in the first place.

Share this comment

On 7/30/2019 at 5:41 AM, CameoAppearance said:

Yeah, I got that. I'm just not sure why the Dragonfly and only the Dragonfly is the one to have the moisture component in the first place.

Special wetness mechanics involving Enraged Dfly iirc (and yea I'm a month late on this reply :p)

Share this comment