Carnivorous, Hostile Avians; Descendants of Hell [IDEA]

(I am re-posting this from the Suggestions & Feedback section)

Griffins.

They are active during the day. A looming shadow on the ground designates where they are about to swoop downwards and attempt to grab a target. This is also signaled by a screech right before they enter the view of the screen.

They are hunters. Any prey caught will not be immediately consumed; instead, they will be brought back to a nest. The player, if caught, will trigger the generation of another world (similar to caves) and find themselves atop a windy mountain, among a bunch of large, exotic eggs in a nest made of bones. There is a limited amount of time before the Griffin returns, whereupon the player is fed to a chick, if any have already hatched. Before the player tries to escape from the nest, they may consider searching through the nest for loot, including pieces of marble, jewels and other valuables.

Upon escaping the nest, players will navigate down a winding hill. All trees will be Living Trees, allowing an opportunity to gain additional Living Logs if the player feels confident enough. Lightning strikes will also frequently occur.  The longer it takes for the player to reach the bottom, the more frequent Griffin attacks will become, until it finally catches you; afterwards you will leave the view of the screen still in the clutches of the Griffin and be announced dead. If you make it, you will have access to a sick wormhole; using it will teleport you back to your world (in either a random location or near where you were caught).

At low sanity, they become gargoyles. They will only become active during dusk. Their diet becomes larger prey, including any Pigs caught outside, Bunnymen, Baby Beefalo, etc.

In terms of defense from these predators, perhaps by beginning to spawn them after a lightning storm, there would be more utility from lightning rods; any Griffin that swoops down near a charged one will get electrocuted, delaying other attacks for either a few days or until the next lightning storm.

They might also have a tendency to wreck Birdcages and rescue all of their fellow avian. Who knows.

Who would do the art for the Gryphon/Gargoyle? How big is it and it's nest? What kind of living trees are we talking about? The art should be like in game art, and what difference would it make if the eggs are hatched or not?

Sorry if I seem bossy and/or pushy, just giving feedback and asking questions.

Would that give a scarecrow an use?

I didn't want to create a new structure specifically to deal with this one mob, so I figured we could use the lightning rod as a counter. That's also why they specifically start spawning after lightning storms (which arouse their activity), so that you can be prepared with a charged lightning rod to electrocute them and stray any other Griffins from attacking you until the next storm. In a sense, it's like a "scarecrow" for this species. The Rain-O-Meter would also be more useful, because it could technically forecast when the next attacks will be occurring.

Who would do the art for the Gryphon/Gargoyle? How big is it and it's nest? What kind of living trees are we talking about? The art should be like in game art, and what difference would it make if the eggs are hatched or not?

Sorry if I seem bossy and/or pushy, just giving feedback and asking questions.

I'm not sure who would do the art for them. I could do something if I have time.

They're probably around the size of a Beefalo, or a bit larger. Gargoyles would be around the same size as a Griffin, except its stone features (such as its beak, talons, eyes, etc.) would be much more wicked in proportion.

The Totally Normal Trees that spawn in the regular world generation, which, on this cliff-side, spawn like regular trees in a forest or grass biome. They are prone to being set on fire and causing a forest fire because of the frequent lightning storms, though.

Dormant or unhatched eggs will just be there. Eggs that are visibly shaking and have cracks will hatch a chick, which may try pecking at the player should he/she decide to stay in the nest and try to collect more loot.

And no, keep it coming, the more details like this that can be specified beforehand, the better.

This sounds kinda interesting, but it also sounds so super complicated to make. I gues the most difficult part would be to actually create a non-flat surface to walk on (i.e. the hill) Creating an illusion of that might be doable, like pointed out for example with huge clifflike prefabs you have to walk around.

You know what Don't Starve needs?

QLoWUSO.jpg
I think this counts as on-topic. Or on-title, at least. ;P

Do you know that I already considered that? I hated these bastards but still, whenever I see them it makes me smile  ^^  Just imagining to hear the screeching and still having to wait at least a whole day before he arrives... a thousand times worse than being hounded xD

I didn't want to create a new structure specifically to deal with this one mob, so I figured we could use the lightning rod as a counter. That's also why they specifically start spawning after lightning storms (which arouse their activity), so that you can be prepared with a charged lightning rod to electrocute them and stray any other Griffins from attacking you until the next storm. In a sense, it's like a "scarecrow" for this species. The Rain-O-Meter would also be more useful, because it could technically forecast when the next attacks will be occurring.

I'm not sure who would do the art for them. I could do something if I have time.

They're probably around the size of a Beefalo, or a bit larger. Gargoyles would be around the same size as a Griffin, except its stone features (such as its beak, talons, eyes, etc.) would be much more wicked in proportion.

The Totally Normal Trees that spawn in the regular world generation, which, on this cliff-side, spawn like regular trees in a forest or grass biome. They are prone to being set on fire and causing a forest fire because of the frequent lightning storms, though.

Dormant or unhatched eggs will just be there. Eggs that are visibly shaking and have cracks will hatch a chick, which may try pecking at the player should he/she decide to stay in the nest and try to collect more loot.

And no, keep it coming, the more details like this that can be specified beforehand, the better.

Thank you for the info!

I have an idea. What if you could take the eggs and hatch them, like Tallbirds, as sort of a prize for surviving the Griffin. Maybe, if you for some reason decide to wait at the nest, the griffin will come back every once in a little while and drop in a spider or something. Back to the eggs, it should probably be quite stronger than a smallbird. It should also be with you when it's an adult because they are considered to be extremely loyal. Maybe at some point your Griffin will go back to the hill and that hill will be accessible, but you can't get your Griffin back, so you can go up there to get living logs. This kind of sounds OP to me, but I don't know. Maybe you could make it much harder to get down the hill?

We've already addressed the problem of a path angled downwards, by making it a cliff-side road winding AROUND a mountain, not DOWN a mountain.

Also, another idea: debris and boulders fall from above as the mountain trembles, similar to the mechanics of caves.

And in terms of music? Perhaps some booming drums and a male chorus. If it synced with lightning that'd be cool too.

EDIT: I'll have to check out the song you posted, honeyham, once I get home.

We've already addressed the problem of a path angled downwards, by making it a cliff-side road winding AROUND a mountain, not DOWN a mountain.

Also, another idea: debris and boulders fall from above as the mountain trembles, similar to the mechanics of caves.

And in terms of music? Perhaps some booming drums and a male chorus. If it synced with lightning that'd be cool too.

EDIT: I'll have to check out the song you posted, honeyham, once I get home.

The mountain could be a series of donut shaped rings. It could alternate from inside to out side as well.

Archived