The use of pipes and what they are made of considering bacterias

Hey there folks, I have a little idea about the pipe-system. The function of pipes could be re-worked by first making pipes made of sandstone which would make it very easy for different bacterias to grow. The higher grade of material you find the better upgrade the pipes would be, for example, Sandstone - Very easy bacteria grow and minimum water flow, Granite - easy bacteria growth and normal water flow (if polished), Igneous Rock should be as bad as Sandstone,
Iron - (not refined) would have no effect on bacteria but give increased water flow, however it will brake easier due to rust (same should be for refined Iron),
Gold - has no effect on bacteria growth but gives increased water flow but harder to brake and last and final Copper - effective at reducing bacteria growth and increased water flow, in close vicinity of cables it should brake easier due to the electromagnetic fields wich makes it corrode.

I believe this will could bring a few other ideas for other objects such as air pipes and cables etc?
Pro's and con's, anyone?

The point of using metals for pipes is for better heat exchange. I don`t think the material should affect the flow rate. It would make managing pipes unreasonably annoying. Especially if you would have to get large amounts of metals for optimal flow.

As for bacteria it`s interesting but bacteria are mostly affected by the type of liquid. It would only matter for food poisoning in polluted water (in all other cases the bacteria slowly die off) and even in this scenario it`s easy to get rid of them by heating the water up.

Pipes breaking near cables is just annoying. It`s an interesting idea but dealing wiht it in game would be just an annoyance. You always need to power your pumps meaning cables and pipes will cross in many places. Making them randomly break will be infuriating, especially in large bases.

Having different water flow would contradict too much if it is entirely dependent on the material. I would instead suggest Heavi-Liquid Pipes that can hold 50kg of liquid (Coupled with a Heavi-pump), but occupies an entire tile and is very ugly.

Bacteria hospitality would be a bit of a strange quirk to apply, Copper could have an inherent antiseptic property but the rest should just be average with everything.

"effective at reducing bacteria growth and increased water flow, in close vicinity of cables it should brake easier due to the electromagnetic fields wich makes it corrode."

Just seems like an unneccessary change, in my opinion.

Archived