2 little suggestions for critter and jet suit

Hello forum and Klei staff,

I would like 2 little things to be in the game.

1. The critter drop off should send an automation signal when the room is full. With that it is possible to automate critter farming with ease. You can make a simple system, that breeds a new egg, when one critter dies and with that you don't need to check critter amounts all the time.

2. The jet suit duplicants should try to move the fastest way and not the shortest. When you got jet suited duplicants with high athletics, the usage of jet suits is actually a hindrance. They will fly around when they could use ladders and walk on the ground much faster. As a plus it would help conserve fuel as well.

Sorry for my bad english, I am no native. It would be nice if you put a thought to my suggestion :)

If what you say is true (I haven't tested it) that dupes sometimes select a path using jetpacks where it would be faster not to use them, then I would consider this to be a bug in the pathfinding algorithm.

Apart from that, I think it should be possible to set 3 levels of fuel conservation on jetpacks:

1. Wasteful fuel usage: Dupes should use the jetpack whenever it is faster than not using it, irrespective of fuel consumption.
  2. Conservative fuel usage: Dupes should only use jetpacks when it makes the route significantly faster.
  3. Minimal fuel usage: Dupes should only use jetpacks when there is no other possibility to reach the destination.

This could be implemented easily by adjusting the pathfinding penalty for using jetpacks according to the fuel conservation level.

Dupes are lazy. Why walk when you can fly?

But in reality they don`t consider the speed they move, just the mount of tiles they need to go. They will use fire pole on their way down or a transit tube if available but other than that they don`t look how fast they move. They might as well jump sideways ladders over running on a plastic floor if it`s one tile less to go.

As for jetsuits they just take the shortest distance path and only walk if it`s along the path. I wish they at least used ladders as it`s much fastwr than flight.

Archived