Piston pumps - replacement for door pumps

A lot of designs rely on door pumps being a sort of an exploit similar to some water lock designs with 2 liquids. Now that Klei added visco gel that allows us to have a exploit free water lock mayb eit`s time to adress door pumps in a similar way. I have to say it`s not originally my idea but i don`t remember who came up with it and i think it`s a good moment to bring it back.

The concept is simple. A piston works like an airlock. When closed pushes gasses and liquids away. Requires power to operate. Can`t crush dupes. If gas or liquid has nowhere to go the piston shouldn`t fully close or should have a high pressure animation indicating there`s gas or liquid stuck inside it. Possibly could destroy the tile under it if it`s not pressure resistant and push the liquid/gas there.

How is it different than airlocks? Airlocks should be the changed to store the gas or liquid inside them when closed so they can`t be used to push them.

Yes, like pistons in minecraft. And airlocks we could use as valves in such in-world pump.

As for power consumption, we can use liquid pump as reference: 1 tile = 1m^3= 1000kg(of water), liquid pump need 100s to pump-out 1000kg of liquid, 100s * 240J(240W = 240J per second) 24000J for 1 action of moving 1m^3 of stuff, sounds a lot and probably will prevent self sustained steam turbine. 24kJ is a bit more then half of big battery... but if it will do it in 1 second the pumping power would be tremendous(1 tile worth of liquid/gaseous stuff each 2 second, 500kg of water per second in theory) so we wont even need thick pipes.

18 hours ago, D.L.S. said:

As for power consumption, we can use liquid pump as reference: 1 tile = 1m^3= 1000kg(of water), liquid pump need 100s to pump-out 1000kg of liquid, 100s * 240J(240W = 240J per second) 24000J for 1 action of moving 1m^3 of stuff, sounds a lot and probably will prevent self sustained steam turbine. 24kJ is a bit more then half of big battery... but if it will do it in 1 second the pumping power would be tremendous(1 tile worth of liquid/gaseous stuff each 2 second, 500kg of water per second in theory) so we wont even need thick pipes.

It could move slower to keep it balanced. Steam turbines seem to work with unpowered airlocks as well. Lets say 3s to close and 240W power consumed. It would still be a double nerf to airlock pumps (slower pumping and double the power. As for balancing moving huge amounts of liquid it`s just moving it one tile. To move it a significant distance you`d need 10 or more of those.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It could move slower to keep it balanced. Steam turbines seem to work with unpowered airlocks as well. Lets say 3s to close and 240W power consumed. It would still be a double nerf to airlock pumps (slower pumping and double the power. As for balancing moving huge amounts of liquid it`s just moving it one tile. To move it a significant distance you`d need 10 or more of those.

Yes, slower and less power consumption per second. I almost forget that we hame maximum 20kW wires in game.

Not only to solve turbine problem, it is basically in world device which moving tile, so you can make some devices based on this, something you cant make with available now pumps.

Archived