Jump to content

Hydrogen Rocket Balance Suggestions


Recommended Posts

So, I've been thinking about the hydrogen rocket engine, and I think it needs some tweaks.

For instance: why would it require a 1:1 fuel:oxidizer ratio? 2700 kg of oxygen would only be able to oxidize 337.5 kilograms of hydrogen. Also, there's a prohibitive time commitment to generate liquid hydrogen as it is now: at 100% uptime, one electrolyzer can generate 2700 kg of oxygen in just about 5 cycles, but 2700 kg of hydrogen take a whopping 40 cycles.

So: what about adding a special liquid fuel tank for hydrogen, with a capacity of 115 kg each? Liquid hydrogen is difficult to store and has an exceptionally low fuel density, so this would be in line with "real-world" liquid hydrogen rocket systems. To further cement this as a late-game option, the liquid hydrogen tanks could also require one of the molecular forge materials, like insulation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, horgerj said:

To further cement this as a late-game option, the liquid hydrogen tanks could also require one of the molecular forge materials, like insulation.

Once stored into the liquid tank, the problem is not the heat, but the sealing.

So more than insulation, it should be viscogel to use it like a silicon paste. ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, horgerj said:

For instance: why would it require a 1:1 fuel:oxidizer ratio? 2700 kg of oxygen would only be able to oxidize 337.5 kilograms of hydrogen. Also, there's a prohibitive time commitment to generate liquid hydrogen as it is now: at 100% uptime, one electrolyzer can generate 2700 kg of oxygen in just about 5 cycles, but 2700 kg of hydrogen take a whopping 40 cycles.

Good point about stoichiometry. Also on top of this all: in game you need about 3.3 times more energy to liquefy 1kg of hydrogen comparing with 1kg of liquid oxygen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2018 at 11:39 AM, Gwido said:

Once stored into the liquid tank, the problem is not the heat, but the sealing.

So more than insulation, it should be viscogel to use it like a silicon paste. ;) 

Yes! Exactly!

On 11/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, D.L.S. said:

Good point about stoichiometry. Also on top of this all: in game you need about 3.3 times more energy to liquefy 1kg of hydrogen comparing with 1kg of liquid oxygen.

Oh, the energy thing is a good point!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...