What would you think about a new pirate-y craftable item, used to more easily locate the Yaarctopus?

I really love a lot of the pirate aesthetics that Shipwrecked has, and especially the Yaarctopus' bartering empire built upon sea-food. However, in most of my games I end up finding the Yaarctopus quite a bit later than I think it would be feasible to find the Pig King or Pig Queen of the RoG/Hamlet worlds respectively.

For the Pig Royalty, you tend to have a general sense of where they will decide to place themselves on world start, but finding the Pirate King (no relation) often takes a considerable deal more time and effort. As the location of the Yaarctopus is only limited to any single Coral Reef biome, and these can be placed in any part of the Ocean, finding the right one can be a bit of a lottery.

That's why I propose a new item: the Pirate's Compass. This would be crafted with a Spyglass, a Pirate Hat, and a Compass, requiring a Science Machine to protoype. The item would function more like the Compass from Don't Starve Together, requiring you to equip it in the hand slot and having a durability of 2.5 days; but instead of the arrow pointing North, the graphic would instead have the arrow pointing in the direction of the Yaarctopus.

(I just realized while writing that this is kind of like the compass that belongs to Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates film series. Maybe it could even be called the Sparrow's Compass for one those pop-culture references that Klei loves to do?)

This way you'd be able to locate the Yaarctopus with a considerable amount of early resource investment, but by finding him and trading the right Crockpot meals, you could eventually get back almost all of the items/resources used, aside from the Papyrus.

Anyway, I just wanted to float that idea out there and see what people think. Like I said before I absolutely love the Yaarctopus and his whole pirate shtick, and I'd really like to be able to make a beeline to him and put a Sea-Base next to him every game. Even if this suggestion isn't the exact right item for it, I think there's definitely room to explore here.

I like the idea that it’s hard to find although with coffee and a doy doy sail in a fast boat you can cover the map very quickly.   The game has a lot of great content but once you get to 200-300 days there isn’t much left to do.   That’s why I prefer a slower pace.

in my next world I will not use the minimap hud or even the map provided by the game to make it really challenging 

I have to disagree. I think Klei has already reacted to the importance of finding the Volcano in Shipwrecked worlds by implementing the Rainbow Jellyfish migrations.

Before that change it was nearly as difficult to find the Volcano as it is the Yaarctopus, although the spawning restrictions for it do make its general location easier to determine. Now you have ample opportunities to find it thanks to a very obvious world cue.

My proposed item would make finding the Yaarctopus a deliberate player decision, not just one that is thrust upon the player. Even if you'd prefer to find the Yaarctopus without any help, you'd still have that option.

Archived