Ideas for a Game Night Server

Hi All! I hope I'm asking this question in the right place.

I'm hosting a game night within my gaming group, and we're playing Don't Starve Together! Normally these game nights only last for about 4 or 5 hours, and we have around 15 people participating. The goal is to introduce the game to a bunch of people and to simply have fun together. I know that to really play this game it can take more time and learning, so I was hoping you all could help me out a bit. 

What can I do on a dedicated server to make the game fun and engaging for a single night for around 15 people? 

I have one idea which is to split the players up on a pvp server and make them be 2 warring groups. Each group would have maybe 5 or so days before actually seeking out the other group is allowed. The first team to wipe the other one out is the winner. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Any ideas on how I can make this happen and be as smooth as possible? 

My other idea was to split the people into groups (not sure how many) and have them solve a puzzle that involved them collecting or crafting certain items in the world and returning them to the starting gate. The first group that has the correct items and places them in the right order would win. I guess it's sort of like a riddle + treasure hunt ideas. Anyone done something like this before? Any tips on what items they could be so that it isn't impossible to do within a few hours?

I would love to hear all of your ideas and feedback. Again, I really just want to introduce this game to some more people and hopefully spark some interest in playing the normal mode together regularly. This game has such a huge range of mechanics and possibilities!

For the first warring idea, I believe there's a mod that's basically capture the flag but with defending Pig Kings. You could look into that. IDK if it would fit your agenda, but you could try playing chess in DST. Maybe some kind of roulette involving them being fed food by somebody that could be something harmful like red mushrooms or monster meat. 

If you want an event themed game, you could do a candy collection contest. The rules are simple: the person or team with the most candy after a certain amount of time wins. If you want to make things more interesting, you could enable pvp if you wish. Although I would recommend making a rule about not attacking anyone near the pig king to prevent camping, as the pig king i the only way to actually get the candy.

Thank you for linking to that mod. It looks like it could be the perfect thing for my group!

The candy collection contest sounds fun, too. Maybe we can do that if the capture the flag mod doesn't end up working out. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Archived