Cycle 825: Finally my first space mission

5bd60770f200e_Schermafdruk2018-10-2819_32_16.thumb.png.4ca6af2dcb4eae2c7d8f2314aa52dd11.png

Right, so I started my current seed back during the cosmic preview branch. I pretty much struggled the first 100 cycles for survival, and I only was able to breach the surface around cycle 400. Somewhere inbetween I had to debug repair my world because between the several meteor changes and how they utterly destroy the surface, and because the very early cosmic preview branch did not include the gravitas facility, Basically I loaded up a random new seed, copied the surface layer and passed it on top of my running seed. There's not much left of that again given I dug out most and meteors took care of the rest. But that's ok.

I use the gravitas centre both as a forward surface colony and space control centre.

5bd604f77f148_Schermafdruk2018-10-2819_31_33.thumb.png.c415e01accabcde553e460e35e495fd3.png

Luck had it that the copy pasting merged it with an ice biome, which melt down. I was able to build the missile silo right into the lake, which provided ex-cel-lent cooling. Furthermore, rockets can be launched while the engine is submerged.

During the rocketry upgrade preview and later the live branch, I build liquid pipes from the bottom of the map to the top. So I could get petroleum for the petroleum engine. Sadly, they changed a lot of rocketry mechanics during the space industry branch and I had to start my rocket from scratch. Very unfortunate because I was very, very close to an operational rocket at that point. The fuel lines are of course reusable as soon as I reached the appropiate tech.

Instead I had to work out systems for the steam engine. Given the possibilities provided by the latest branch, being able to build pumps out of steel, I made an aqua tuner setup sitting in 2 tiles high petroleum. I pumped water on top of the petroleum and made the aqua tuners run near constantly, cooling the water from the lake further down (it was getting a bit hot, nearing the 50°C). Once the water turned into steam, I made sure the steam reached 150°C, just to be sure it did not condense before reaching the steam engine:

5bd6075320be2_Schermafdruk2018-10-2819_31_53.thumb.png.b0e931e9d7ce5beeb7698196885ab0d6.png

5bd607620b4bd_Schermafdruk2018-10-2819_32_00.thumb.png.d222fce8830249f3f4e97ef0c3a7b9c4.png

All worked like a charm. It took quite a long while to vaporize the water, because I pumped a lot of it into the heater system, but now I have enough steam for dozens of trips with the steam engine. Later on when I don't need steam anymore, I am going to convert it into a steam turbine cooler. It is quite power hungry and I need to shut it down during meteor strikes as all of it is powered by solar panels.

And of course the space rocket itself: the dupollo 1

5bd608949a505_Schermafdruk2018-10-2819_32_33.thumb.png.acbebfa3f94d2751a8ea6286c589972b.png

I will make sure the dupollo 2 will be twice as awesome!

Good job. Remember ti make a backup save each time you send the rocket to space and don`t load saves that have the rocket on a mission as it can crash the game.

Also the steam engine can carry more science modules. According to The Rocket Calculator you can send 5 of them to the 10k destinations and to the 20k with a solid booster so you could do the research in one go.

33 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Good job. Remember ti make a backup save each time you send the rocket to space and don`t load saves that have the rocket on a mission as it can crash the game.

Also the steam engine can carry more science modules. According to The Rocket Calculator you can send 5 of them to the 10k destinations and to the 20k with a solid booster so you could do the research in one go.

Good tips.I did not have any major issues, though some weird things did happen: first off, the message that my rocket was ready to land stayed on long after the rocket actually landed. Second, once the rocket did land my astronaut duplicant was quite forcefully ejected from the capsule an dropped to the ground (lucky he had the water to break his fall!). Also when the rocket was returning, the positions where it would normally sit was complaining the gantry was retracted. I am to understand that if it is not retracted, the rocket will actually break the gantry?

Also, I only have one planet on the 10k range. The issue is that the starmap generation is tied to the seed, so my set of asteroids are heavily locked in. Given the planet I have, 5 trips might be worth a bit more instead of just one with 5 research modules because each trip will always give an extra 10 data banks.

Also, I might require a bit of help with the space scanners. I don't really understand how they function when they are set to scanning for rockets. Apparently all the scanners, regardless of how they are set, stay on the same network. Does that mean if I set one scanner on scanning for the rocket, that one scanner will 100% accurately predict the 200s before the return point of the rocket (if the whole network reaches 100% quality)? Or do I need to assign more scanners for that? I am afraid to tinkle too much with it currently as I don't want to mess up and having comets hitting my solar panels.

There`s still a few bugs with the rockets. They still show entombed message if regolith lands on the starting pad with the rocket in space. And yes extended gantries get damaged (but they still work when damaged so they can stay that way). The astronaut gets ejected every time, but that`s the only way to get him out. You need to unassign him from the rocket before he goes back in. If he`s in a jet suit you need to do that before he reaches the ground. The ready to land message stays there until you exit the game - another thing that needs fixing.

Each trip gives 10 data banks per science module + 50 per researchable part of the destination. One trip with 5 modules will give you the same amount of data banks as 5 trips with one.

As for now the space scanners only detect the rocket when it`s ready to land and when it`s on the ground. There`s no difference based on the scan quality. It`s too late to open the doors but you could use it to close them after it lands.

9 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

There`s still a few bugs with the rockets. They still show entombed message if regolith lands on the starting pad with the rocket in space. And yes extended gantries get damaged (but they still work when damaged so they can stay that way). The astronaut gets ejected every time, but that`s the only way to get him out. You need to unassign him from the rocket before he goes back in. If he`s in a jet suit you need to do that before he reaches the ground. The ready to land message stays there until you exit the game - another thing that needs fixing.

Each trip gives 10 data banks per science module + 50 per researchable part of the destination. One trip with 5 modules will give you the same amount of data banks as 5 trips with one.

As for now the space scanners only detect the rocket when it`s ready to land and when it`s on the ground. There`s no difference based on the scan quality. It`s too late to open the doors but you could use it to close them after it lands.

Hmm, isn't one trip with 5 research modules netting you 250+10 data bank, whereas 5 trips with one module nets you 5x50 + 5x10 data banks, so 300 banks in total? Just checking, because I have only that one planet which I have to make count. Of course if I plan my research correctly, I probably should just go for 5 modules per trip.

Ah so the space scanners set at rockets aren't actually useful. Good thing I refrained from experimenting with it. Currently I am just using a high proirty toggle switch and just keeping an eye on the progress the rocket makes.

Guess I did quite alright all in all. Thanks for the info. I'm glad launching rockets is atleast doable without major issues.

17 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Hmm, isn't one trip with 5 research modules netting you 250+10 data bank, whereas 5 trips with one module nets you 5x50 + 5x10 data banks, so 300 banks in total?

You get the 10 extra databanks for each module. I launched with 3 and got 180 databanks.

Archived