[Suggestion] object signal output

Hi. I would like to see logic outputs for machines too. I made a really quick(!) search and it seems to be the case that this was not suggested before.

Right now there is only the logic input which shuts the object down or enables it. The source of this signal can be various (automation tab, refridgerator and smart storage, smart battery). However all the objects could be used as input signal source too.

just some very quick examples:

- door output gets active when the door is open.
enable/disable machines or other doors if a door is opened/closed

- machine output gets active if the machine is active
open the doors for ventilation/decompression when a coal generator is running. shut down other machines in a line to prevent circuit overload. this is useful in situations/locations where your power supply is just rudimentary and you dont want to turn things on and off every time.

- storage tank output when filled to a certain degree
at this point i would like to see a comeback of the first version of the liquid reservoir as a earlier, non-automatable reservoir.

- exosuit dock has output set to active when the power is up. with a not gate you can enable a emergency bypass.

20181026181125_1.thumb.jpg.b92325443e7494fec562de3a6eacfe3d.jpg

Its not about bad planning; its about more possibilities.

Maybe even plants could send a signal when they are ready to be harvested. :)

I am half kidding when I say that, but half of me means it seriously. For example, this could be useful if you want dupes to only go into the greenhouse when most of the plants are ready to be harvested, so that they don't start farming if there isn't much to farm yet.

4 hours ago, stoeberhai said:

- storage tank output when filled to a certain degree

I agree that it would be very useful. This has already been suggested in the following thread:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/95083-the-gas-and-liquid-storage-reservoirs-should-output-automation-signals-similar-to-the-fridge-and-smart-storage-compactor/

59 minutes ago, Tekky said:

I am half kidding when I say that, but half of me means it seriously. For example, this could be useful if you want dupes to only go into the greenhouse when most of the plants are ready to be harvested, so that they don't start farming if there isn't much to farm yet.

Automated farm tiles. Sending an active signal when plant ready to harvest. I think it could be useful but probably a bit overkill. Well it could be used to turn off the light or cut off the water to preserve resources when the plant is no longer growing.

On 26.10.2018 at 11:22 PM, Tekky said:

Maybe even plants could send a signal when they are ready to be harvested. :)

I agree that it would be very useful. This has already been suggested in the following thread:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/95083-the-gas-and-liquid-storage-reservoirs-should-output-automation-signals-similar-to-the-fridge-and-smart-storage-compactor/

I didnt saw it but i thought reservoir automation would fit in nicely. You could prevent backlogging in the pipes when you shutdown pumps at the right moment. this could also solve some pipe temperature issues, like unnecessary long temperature exchange and pipes breaking from it. 
closing the output per automation stops the flow without the need of manual de-/reactivation.

i actually like the idea of a automated version of farmtiles. sure, slightly overkill but you cant do enough to preserve energy...thats exactly what we would do irl...

Figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. I really *really* like this idea.

We need more outputs, more built-in sensors. Let machines tell us when they are low on resources, or need to be filled/refilled/emptied.

My biggest request is fill level signal for tanks and reservoirs. Something we can set like the hydro and atmo sensors:above 80%, below 100%, or above 0%... etc.

One major difference between the Factorio automation logic system (called "circuit network") and the ONI automation logic system is that, in Factorio, every wire can carry several signals and that every signal is more than just one bit of information. It can contain at least 32 bits of information, so it can represent any number from 0 to several billion (also negative numbers).

The advantage of this Factorio automation logic system is that it is much more flexible. For example, in Factorio, a storage tank with a connected automation wire can send a signal with its fill state level as a number (it actually sends a number between 0 and 100). In contrast to that, if this were implemented in ONI, all you could do is instruct the tank to send an active signal if its storage fill level is more than a certain value. But you couldn't actually read the fill level using logic. However, in Factorio, you can read the fill state as a number and you do anything you want with that number. For example, you can check if the signal is in a certain range (e.g. between 50% and 80%).

In Factorio, since a single wire can carry several signals, it is possible to use the same signal wire for both input and output signals, when connecting the wire to a building. This would never be possible in ONI, because a wire can only carry one signal. Therefore, if you wanted to connect a building with both input and output to an automation wire in ONI, you would require two automation wire connections, one for input and one for output.

Another advantage of the Factorio automation logic system is that, if several buildings send a signal to the same signal wire, the signal strength is added. This can be very useful. For example, if this were also implemented in ONI, then I could connect several farm tiles to the same automation wire. If the farm tiles each send a signal of 1 to the wire if the plan is ready for harvest, and 0 if not, then, because all signals are added, the signal on the automation wire would always contain the number of the plants ready for harvest. I could then, for example, have a logic device which checks whether that value is above a certain value and connect that device to a door, so that it only opens when at least half of the plants are ready for harvest.

However, the main disadvantage of the Factorio automation logic system is that it is rather hard to learn. That is one thing that I like about the ONI automation logic system, because it is more friendly to new players.

Since the current ONI automation logic system is easier to learn for new players, I think it should be kept. However, it would be nice if a Factorio-style advanced automation logic system were available in ONI too, for the more advanced players.

Archived