Surviving 40 days on "vanilla", and here is my progress

Tonight I started a vanilla world (no mods/no console/default map) and have survived 40 days, and I don't see any problems to survive longer. But some resources are really hard to get on the first island, such as gears, cloth and rocks. 

So now I have a bird cage (and a bird I caught with sleep dart), alchemy machine, crock pot, and plenty of resources in my house, also some berry bushes and trees next to the pig village. 

I should be able to make it to the 2nd pig village within 5-7 days on a sort of speed run, but it seems too dangerous for a causal player like myself. Tbh I wouldn't ask anything more than just 1 gear and 1 more cloth accessible on the first island. Gear for 1 ice box, and cloth for a pith hat, because I have to save one from hammering the balloon debris for the gas mask. I saw bamboo somewhere I don't remember, but can't find cloth in refine tab. And I don't feel comfortable if I don't have loads of stacks of rocks at base. If anyone knows how to get these, please let me know. Or I will probably write some suggestions to developers. 

And if anyone has straight forward questions or something I don't have to reply with 500+ words, don't hesitate to bring it up. 

20181017043507_1.jpg

20181017043604_1.jpg

Hey there, nice insights.

May I ask, where exactly did you find the gears? I didn't come across any yet with my combined 120 days played.

In my last world I lasted 30 days, and then kinda gave up for the hayfever.
How did you deal with it? Just fans? Without the gears I couldnt make one yet but I imagine it to be extremely annoying. To spend the whole season within its radius. 

The gas masks only last around 2 days, and cloth is so hard to come by as its non craftable and is only sometimes purchasable at the general goods store. And nettles only seem to deal with hayfever for 1/3 of a day. So there isn't even enough of those on the entire map to make them viable strategy. 

I also made it to the second pig village on like day 20 without trying to speedrun it. I did play Wickerbottom though, that always saves some early days. If you just run through the ruins without actually dealing with the enemies and no looting they are really easy to navigate. There seem to be 2 ruinious entrances that are overgrown with vines in the normal jungle, one leads to island 2 and one to island 3. I heard there is a cave network too, but I yet have to come across a cave that has more than its initial room. On my second last run I also made it to the overgrown entrance in the poisonous cave, but I didn't enter it. 

I wonder if this leads to island 4 or if its random in which jungle these spawn.

6 hours ago, Rhobious_Aran said:

Hey there, nice insights.

May I ask, where exactly did you find the gears? I didn't come across any yet with my combined 120 days played.

In my last world I lasted 30 days, and then kinda gave up for the hayfever.
How did you deal with it? Just fans? Without the gears I couldnt make one yet but I imagine it to be extremely annoying. To spend the whole season within its radius. 

The gas masks only last around 2 days, and cloth is so hard to come by as its non craftable and is only sometimes purchasable at the general goods store. And nettles only seem to deal with hayfever for 1/3 of a day. So there isn't even enough of those on the entire map to make them viable strategy. 

I also made it to the second pig village on like day 20 without trying to speedrun it. I did play Wickerbottom though, that always saves some early days. If you just run through the ruins without actually dealing with the enemies and no looting they are really easy to navigate. There seem to be 2 ruinious entrances that are overgrown with vines in the normal jungle, one leads to island 2 and one to island 3. I heard there is a cave network too, but I yet have to come across a cave that has more than its initial room. On my second last run I also made it to the overgrown entrance in the poisonous cave, but I didn't enter it. 

I wonder if this leads to island 4 or if its random in which jungle these spawn.

Hey there, 

First I only saw gears on the special item store (with boss items such as dragonfly scale or eyeball, and they have gears there, 10 oincs each if I remember correctly. At least that's a decent source for gears later on. 

Second, You don't need to wear the gas mask all day long - you only need it for 3-5 seconds when the hay fever effect on your screen comes up. I didn't even spend half of its duration to go through that season. Didn't even need a fan or any nettles. 

Third, during my debug tests I found it is possible to reach the smallest island (which has stone egg and pig scepter) by an entrance on the second pig town's island, but I'm not sure if it has any randomization in it. FYI the cave entrance/exit for that island looks like a rope instead of a door. 

Considering there are still plenty of bugs in the game, we might see something that are not designed for, so let me know if for example you can't erase the hay fever with a few seconds of gas mask. 

1 hour ago, HaloFTheSun1 said:

You can get a bigger house?

If you get some sort of special "key" you can build your own city, and as many houses as you like from the new "city planning" tab, but I'm not there yet. Saw it when I unlocked all the recipes with console command "GetPlayer().components.builder:GiveAllRecipes()".

I hope they will give options to increase the size of the house, in order to at least add a few doors to another room like the queen's royal palace, but I don't think it is possible for now. 

13 minutes ago, PR_ZEUS said:

Third, during my debug tests I found it is possible to reach the smallest island (which has stone egg and pig scepter) by an entrance on the second pig town's island, but I'm not sure if it has any randomization in it. FYI the cave entrance/exit for that island looks like a rope instead of a door. 

Did you go from the island to the nest, or from the nest to the island in testing?

1 hour ago, LeMiauh said:

What are your food resources? :c the berry bushes takes too long and i'm on the day 31 and i'm starving... i don't know if i should buy food

I wouldn't hesitate to buy 3 ice and a frog/turkey leg (from Grocer) and cook a meatball. 5 oincs for a meatball is more than a sweet deal. Cut some hedges, pick up some poop and you can have yourself an enjoyable meal. 

Don't Starve!!

Just now, Zeklo said:

Did you go from the island to the nest, or from the nest to the island in testing?

Well, good point, I did go from the nest first, but I'm going to do a quick test right now. 

1 minute ago, PR_ZEUS said:

Well, good point, I did go from the nest first, but I'm going to do a quick test right now. 

I haven't tried checking all vampirebat caves in entirety yet, but it seems like the nest cave is used to leave the nest presumably once the big birb drags you there. Since you gotta mine the only passage way out.

17 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I haven't tried checking all vampirebat caves in entirety yet, but it seems like the nest cave is used to leave the nest presumably once the big birb drags you there. Since you gotta mine the only passage way out.

Yes, seems like this so called "cave_entrance_roc" is the way out, not a way in... 20181017141659_1.thumb.jpg.820279b3e5c7a12dfa782a82bfe62c41.jpg

Before mining the last piece of stone block to the vampirebat cave, you might get to a RANDOM cave cleft (decided the second you mine it down I think), so I guess we can't find the entrance the other way around before mining this stone down. 20181017141313_1.thumb.jpg.a58e120bb8147a3ef363b036f066af24.jpg

I guess there are some mechanisms or event to drop you on this island? 

2 hours ago, PR_ZEUS said:

Yes, seems like this so called "cave_entrance_roc" is the way out, not a way in... 20181017141659_1.thumb.jpg.820279b3e5c7a12dfa782a82bfe62c41.jpg

Before mining the last piece of stone block to the vampirebat cave, you might get to a RANDOM cave cleft (decided the second you mine it down I think), so I guess we can't find the entrance the other way around before mining this stone down. 20181017141313_1.thumb.jpg.a58e120bb8147a3ef363b036f066af24.jpg

I guess there are some mechanisms or event to drop you on this island? 

Would seem reasonable to me. 

A huge bird nest. This would be a scenario you often see in movies and media, a giant bird bringing you to his nest to feed the younglings.

Also in all my "playthroughs" I never found the cave with the entrance, so maybe indeed it only is the way back until you went through it for the first time.

Archived