Upcoming Changelist for Console

JoeW

Hey folks,

Here are our upcoming patch notes for PS4, Xbox One and Switch. This will require us to go through certification, so please bear with us as we go through the process:

• Added Korean and Simplified Chinese
  • Bug-fix "AI respawns in looking animation if user hides in dumpster where AI body is already hidden." 
  • Bug-fix "Player can break collision on walls by jumping+kicking at the same time"
  • Bug-fix "Player able to bypass certain laser traps in the challenge room located in the "A Change in Course" level"
  • Bug-fix "User character does not get killed upon landing on thorns in Challenge Room of the level 'An Ancestral Home'"
  • Bug-fix "Show checkpoints on the map for seal progression objectives after they have been achieved"
  • Bug-fix "Fixed a framerate issue when switching between docked and undocked"
  • Bug-fix "Unlocked techniques persist on Restart Checkpoint"
  • Bug-fix "Numerous fixes for the text getting cut off because of lengthy translations"
  • Bug-fix "Enemies are no longer able to shoot the player through the wall in level 'The Trail of Shadow'"
  • Bug-fix "Smoke bombs fail to block laser tripwires when the player uses them during 'Rooftop' in level 'A Change of Course'."

We will also be bringing bug fixes to the original version of Mark of the Ninja in a future update on Steam

There have also been some discussions about the framerate on the Switch. While we spent months trying to claw back the milliseconds to make it work, ultimately the original game assumed sequential execution in all of its gameflow, and we realized there was no chance we could reach 60FPS without rewriting the entire game engine.

In the latest patch we have fixed the issue where the framerate would sometimes flip from locked and unlocked during docking and undocking. Because we were not able to achieve a full 60FPS, the game is locked to 30FPS for a better user experience rather than flipping between 60FPS and 30FPS. 

I've noticed a graphical bug on the Xbox One version (may be in others idk) where the background doesn't load properly if you move through the level too quickly.

It looks kinda like pop in. The background is just a bunch of black tiles that all disappear a second or so after they appear on screen, after which the background image appears correctly.

I took a video of it on my Xbox so I'll try to post it later if need be.

15 hours ago, Greig91 said:

I've noticed a graphical bug on the Xbox One version (may be in others idk) where the background doesn't load properly if you move through the level too quickly.

It looks kinda like pop in. The background is just a bunch of black tiles that all disappear a second or so after they appear on screen, after which the background image appears correctly.

I took a video of it on my Xbox so I'll try to post it later if need be.

We're looking into it, but if you can post the video - we would appreciate it. 

@JoeW I know this is probably outside the scope of bug fixing patches, but it is bugging me just the same. So much effort went into fixing all these little issues across the entire game, from improving the smoke on a burning cigarette, to fixing off model cutscene faces and making sure the tattoo continuity on your ninja was correct in gameplay.

That is why it is kind of baffling that the tattoos your ninja mistakenly has for no reason in the end cutscene of mission 3, after getting the tracker, hasn't been touched at all. So close to perfect continuity in this release, I just don't know how this slipped past the art team. 

hey JoeW,

i found some issues with the german translation. Some cutted off texts will probably be fixed with the upcomming update, but i hope you are aware of the following translation problem. This is a important one.

On the 2nd map Breaching the perimeter the english tutorial text says "Jump (A) then hold [LT]", but the german translation kinda says "Jump and (A) then hold down". The correct german translation would be: "Springe (A) dann halte [LT] gedrückt." The problem is [LT] isn´t even mentioned and the text is so confusing that i was thinking i need to hold the (A) button after jumping, kinda like a double jump to jump though the wires or something.

i5BGBGl.jpg

Oh btw what happend to the leaderboards? This screenshot is from the Xbox 360 version. I´m playing on Xbox One X and the leaderboards seems to be removed. Why?

ul3HXrt.jpg

9 hours ago, JoeW said:

We're looking into it, but if you can post the video - we would appreciate it. 

Alright here you go. I've seen it happen in a few places and it tends to be any time you move quickly into an area of the map you haven't explored yet. I had been in that area in the video a few minutes prior (you need to climb up that way), but I did also just come out of a challenge room so maybe it needed to load again because of that, idk. 

Mark of The Ninja background bug.mp4

Just curious if you folks were aware of any problems unlocking achievements on the Xbox One version? I can't seem to get the Descendant of Iga achievement to unlock despite getting three stars on all levels. Sure, achievements have to be pretty low on the priority list of problems to fix, but I worked pretty hard to three star all those levels!

Also, just wanted to thank the folks at Klei for giving those of us who previously owned the game a free upgrade to the remastered version. That's really decent of you, much appreciated.

To the devs at Klei,

Thank you for releasing the remastered version of Mark of the Ninja! As somebody who loved the original game, it’s great to see it revisited all of these years later (and free for the original owners of the game!).

I’m writing this post because of my concerns regarding the removal of the bug where collision on walls is broken by jumping and kicking. This glitch, also known as wallkicking, is used extensively in the out of bounds categories of Mark of the Ninja speedrunning (as you could probably imagine). Many of us in the speedrunning community have put hundreds of hours into routing and optimizing out of bounds since the game’s initial release, and it’s extremely disheartening to see all of the hard work that we’ve put into this game get patched out. As such, we’d like you to consider leaving wallkicks in the original steam release of the game.

As a side note, I’d like to point out that wallkicks are so technically precise that the chances of a casual player finding them is extremely small. As speedrunners, however, this bug-fix would affect how we approach the game tremendously.

Obviously, you should do whatever you feel is best for your game, and to expect you to change the course of your updates for a relatively small fraction of your player base would be silly. However, given how much this bug-fix would affect the MotN speedrunning community as a whole, I figured that I should at least make our concerns known.

If you’d like to learn more about the Mark of the Ninja speedrunning community and what we do, we have a masterpost over at speeddemosarchive: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/mark_of_the_ninja_pcxbla2.html

Thanks to everybody at Klei that’s put their time and effort into making this game and its remaster! Mark of the Ninja is my favorite game of all time and will continue to be so regardless of what you decide regarding the bug-fix.

@JoeW Hi,

Is there any way instead of locking the Switch version's frame rate to 30, you could just add the option to lock it like Dead Cells on Switch did? I was playing with it unlocked by docking and undocking it, and it usually felt like a smooth 60 FPS. I'd really love the option to play this way even if there are some dips.

Archived