How about binding "Insanity" to use of Magic?

Following the idea from fellow member Capp regarding the "night light" ( the light of it producing the "magic aura" that reveals the nightmare side of life ) another thing came into mind.

What if "insanity" is not something that "just happens" as hunger or cold (which, IMO, does not make sense), but is a result of doing all sorts of magic stuff and dealing with magical creatures, and so on?

Since after the "fix" the insanity became something that a character should actively seek, it makes sense to bind the "magic" and the "insanity" together. Like that: there is "natural" world that is understandable, but it is impossible to escape from the place by natural means. So a character ( "Wilson" ) has to research the out-of-worldly, the "magical" ways to do so. But these things, firstly, require him to become partially mad to start seeing that stuff, and secondly, they tend to draw a person deeper into madness, so a fine control is needed.

Well, take the "wormholes" as example. At the moment the use of them drives a person crazy. In "magic-insanity" setup one would need to be somewhat "off" to see the wormhole, and even more "insane" to be able to use it. Plus the use of it also adds somewhat to madness, so accurate calculation is needed.

PS Yes, I know this idea is not exactly original - the "magic" works sort of this way in many fantasy and fiction stories . But then again, such setup would be understandable and easily recognized.

This sounds interesting.

In "magic-insanity" setup one would need to be somewhat "off" to see the wormhole, and even more "insane" to be able to use it. Plus the use of it also adds somewhat to madness, so accurate calculation is needed.

So he needs to have a certain insanity level to see them and even more to use them? I could imagine Wilson saying (if not insane enough) ''the hell would I jump into this thing''

This should be discussed!