Honey bear

After making a thread about a way to stop excessive honey-farming by adding a queen bee that turned you own bees against you.So i was thinking that maybe there is a better way, a creature maybe, something that likes honey, like a BEAR?A honey bear, it comes if you have to many bee boxes or an excessive amount of honey in your base.When it spawns it starts to eat all honey in your base, it empties your ice box, it licks your crock pot clean and it eats all of the bees's hard earned honey.But it does not stop there, when it is done eating all raw honey it goes for the rest, eating all honey ham, honey nuggets, taffys and cookies, and even your berries.And if left uninterrupted, he will leave and despawn after eating all of your food. But if you try to stop him, he will attack with the force of a charging beefalo and rip you to pieces and mail them to Maxwell.But if you manage to defeat this honey hungry beast, he will drop several teeth and lots of meat for you to use and eat.

After making a thread about a way to stop excessive honey-farming by adding a queen bee that turned you own bees against you.

Oh? I thought we could use killer bees in some capacity to do this, however the idea behind a queen bee has come up before on the forums. However, it was connected to an idea to save bee hives, as when a hive or bee box was destroyed for any reason a queen bee would spawn, fly off, and create a new hive elsewhere. Of course that suggestion was back before bee hives were as plentiful as they are now (i.e. back when you were lucky to have 5-6 per island).

So i was thinking that maybe there is a better way, a creature maybe, something that likes honey, like a BEAR?

Ah bears... an idea that never grows old. :)

A honey bear, it comes if you have to many bee boxes or an excessive amount of honey in your base.

I'm more of the opinion that the map should spawn several bears in forest biomes at the start of the game, and then have bears track down nearby berry bushes, hives (or bee boxes), and ponds (which should be in more places than just swamps, IMHO) to eat berries, honey, and fish, respectively. If a player gathers too many berry bushes and bee boxes it should act as a beacon to the bear as it wanders in search of food.

When it spawns it starts to eat all honey in your base, it empties your ice box, it licks your crock pot clean and it eats all of the bees's hard earned honey.

Hrm. I agree that he should eat all the honey from the player's bee boxes and also all the berries from their bushes, but I'm not sure about the ice box or crock pot... because then where should you draw the line? What about food on the ground or in chests? What about animals in traps? What about the farm plots? I think we should keep it simple and have him eat specific foods, namely: berries, honey, and fish (if available). Then again, that's just my opinion.

But it does not stop there, when it is done eating all raw honey it goes for the rest, eating all honey ham, honey nuggets, taffys and cookies, and even your berries.

Except for the berries, specifically targeting foods may be more trouble than it's worth (code-wise).

And if left uninterrupted, he will leave and despawn after eating all of your food.

I don't think bears should despawn. It would be nice if they were a part of the natural environment, unlike the hounds or the Krampus.

But if you try to stop him, he will attack with the force of a charging beefalo and rip you to pieces and mail them to Maxwell.But if you manage to defeat this honey hungry beast, he will drop several teeth and lots of meat for you to use and eat.

It's been suggeste in the past that the bear would be a fearsome foe, however I've seen plenty of foes put low with the reed flute. However I also agree the bear should drop teeth and meat... and maybe a large pelt. It would be good if the current resource, Hounds Teeth, became something like "Sharp Teeth" so they could stack with bear teeth.

Great use of a bear idea. I think one or two unique things he could drop are a Bear Claw (Allows crafting of a glove that adds a little damage to an equipped weapon) and/or a Bearskin (Can plant on the ground like turf to make a rug, or make a bearskin hat like a viking).If you planted enough berry bushes to keep the Bear around your base and pacified she'd be a great protector.

I think one or two unique things he could drop are a Bear Claw (Allows crafting of a glove that adds a little damage to an equipped weapon) and/or a Bearskin (Can plant on the ground like turf to make a rug, or make a bearskin hat like a viking).

Hmmm, I still think we should generalize these resources, so they can stack easier. For example, if you had a bear drop a "large pelt" when it died then the same could be true for other large beasts, like the beefalo or kaolaphant. Then you could have "small pelt" for other animals, like the rabbit. These could in turn be used to replace older resources in the crafting of certain items, namely, the Backpack.The same is true for teeth, as we could stack bear and hound teeth together if they had the same resource name. Of course you suggested claws... which would be its own resource... to be honest I don't know. I think it would be simpler if it was jusr teeth.

If you planted enough berry bushes to keep the Bear around your base and pacified she'd be a great protector.

Huh. I would have expected the opposite, that the bear would be a bane rather than a boon. If a bear was staying in my base camp and I approached it I would assume it would tear me a new one, so to speak.

Don't forget that bears also stand out at rivers and streams, to catch fish. So they could easily be camping on some pond you want to fish from, and the moment you try to use it yourself OH GOD A BEAR IS CHASING ME.

Exactly. It would also be nice if they actually "fished", knocking fish out of the pond and onto the shore before they went over to eat them. That might give the player a chance to steal said fish from the bear... or piss it off in trying.

I hope they implement this idea.It would fit nicely with the winter update, it would give some more materials, consequently more itens to craft), help a lot with the abuse of honey farm, berries and if possible fish (even if not a lot of people go fishing).But for the berries we alredy have gobbler. If the bear would eat berries, I assume it would eat the gobbler too? And as opposite to a gobbler, he would not run away from the player, but chase it.+999 for the idea.

After making a thread about a way to stop excessive honey-farming by adding a queen bee that turned you own bees against you.So i was thinking that maybe there is a better way, a creature maybe, something that likes honey, like a BEAR?A honey bear, it comes if you have to many bee boxes or an excessive amount of honey in your base.When it spawns it starts to eat all honey in your base, it empties your ice box, it licks your crock pot clean and it eats all of the bees's hard earned honey.But it does not stop there, when it is done eating all raw honey it goes for the rest, eating all honey ham, honey nuggets, taffys and cookies, and even your berries.And if left uninterrupted, he will leave and despawn after eating all of your food. But if you try to stop him, he will attack with the force of a charging beefalo and rip you to pieces and mail them to Maxwell.But if you manage to defeat this honey hungry beast, he will drop several teeth and lots of meat for you to use and eat.

Honey bear, good classic. However I think personally that you can be well off despite the food decaying now; the decaying limits the previous overhoarding of eating but it isn't enough - what I am meaning is that yes, adding some kind of other predators that have interests in specific ressources and taking them against your will and attacking you if you are in the way (or it could be something sneaky/devious coming to steal and then run off at... turkey x10 speed ^^) is a good concept, but the idea of making it a chance to reap even more goods should this kind of encounter happen isn't. By supposing this would happen and that w/e the creature is gets killed off, I really think the ressources they would drop should be of minor interest - how about some kind of freaky, weird giant critter that once it dies it turns into a poodle of wet goops and rot? If those creatures would drop things that are of much better interest, then this means that the game itself is going to need more ambiant fauna and flora or supernatural/natural events that can become very dangerous to the point that you have to plan out against them. As of right now the only one that enacts this are the spider queens imo and we already have more than enough options to deal with them in a relatively easy fashion and somewhat the hounds if you want to stick in the same world for a very long time. You can still "deal" with it for a very long time after simply escaping the island to take the heat off the day counting houndwise. At any rate, someone that sticks in the same island for so long is most likely someone who doesn't really care about the hounds because he already has so many things done and overstacked.