Squeaky Pufts: worth it if I have the chlorine?

Spoiler alert: Nope.

I have two chlorine geysers, so I figured I'd breed squeaky pufts to convert it into meat and eggshells, since I've seen that suggested here in the past.

But then I did the math (borrowing from these numbers)...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• A happy hatch has a reproduction rate of 16.67%/cycle, or 1 egg every 6 cycles.
  • It produces 3200 kCal (2 kg) of meat on death, which can be cooked into 4000 kCal (4 days worth) of BBQ.
  • If I hatch and butcher every egg that is produced, I can support 1 dupe with 1.5 hatches.
  • In theory, then, I need 52.5 to maintain a full-size 35 duplicant colony.
  • That's 6.5625 (7) ranches, serviceable by 3.28125 (4) full time ranchers, assuming each rancher can handle 16 animals.

• A happy puft has a reproduction rate of 22.22%/cycle, or one egg every 4.5 cycles.
  • It produces 800 kCal (0.5 kg) of meat on death, which can be cooked into 1000 kCal (1 days worth) of BBQ.
  • If I hatch and butcher every egg that is produced, I can support 1 dupe with 4.5 pufts.
  • In theory, then, I need 157.5 to maintain a full-size 35 duplicant colony.
  • That's 26.25 (27) ranches, serviceable by 9.84375 (10) full time ranchers, assuming each rancher can handle 16 animals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's no contest. I'd have to dedicate nearly a third of my workforce and more than 4 times as much space to survive on puft meat. Plus, the bleach stone is really only useful for hand sanitizers, and sinks are a better option once you reach the end-game on account of producing polluted water, which can supply pincha peppers and be sieved for dirt.

I am somewhat saddened by this, because I like the squeaky pufts appearance and would love to use up some of that otherwise-useless chlorine. I'll probably keep a ranch for them even if they are useless. But I only have space for 14 ranches in my current colony, so the majority are going to have to be hatches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and in case you're wondering about the other species:

• Slicksters have the same egg laying rates/meat quantities as hatches but are substantially harder to both feed and butcher.

• Regular drecko's are a little bit worse than hatches: I can support 1 dupe with 2 drecko's.
  • In theory, then, I need 70 to maintain a full-size 35 duplicant colony.
  • That's 8.75 (9) ranches, serviceable by 4.375 (5) full time ranchers.
  • NOTE: Regular drecko's eat balm lily's, which are free to grow, making them slightly more sustainable than hatches.

• A happy shinebug has a reproduction rate of 66.67%/cycle, or 1 egg every 1.5 cycles.
  • It produces 100 kCal(100 g) of egg, which can be cooked into 280 kCal(0.28 days worth) of omelette.
  • I can support 1 dupe on omelettes with 5.4 shinebugs.
  • In theory, then, I need 189 to maintain a full-size 35 duplicant colony.
  • That's 23.625 (24) ranches, serviceable by 11.8125 (12) full time ranchers, assuming each rancher can handle 16 animals.

• Pacu can't be measured on this scale. They're basically a high capital outlay for sustainable, zero maintainance meat production.

I use glossy dreckos for food and plastic. It is the only way I see balancing the increased number of dupes needed for ranching them, as I can skip other forms of plastic production.

I feed them Bristle Berries, which run on water so are pretty sustainable.

I do not make glossy drecko ranches at all. I make small compact rooms that will fit as many well fed glossies as possible (breeders) and then I sweep all of their eggs into a fully submerged room of Hydrogen (with a shearing station inside only). This room is used for naturally hatching them over time, and YES, it does take forever for this to get rolling but is worth it.

The Glossy babies turn full grown at Day 5.. they start with full calorie load and start to starve from there. Starving however takes forever, and I can get multiple plastic shavings from each one of them before they starve as the room is 100% hydrogen and keeps their scale regrowth maxed.

I don't know the numbers, but I get way more plastic and food this way than just farming a GD normally and breaking their eggs with an egg cracker.

Pros

- You get meat over eggs.. better QoL options from that.

- More plastic. I'm bad at math, but all GD babies getting multiple shavings before dying at 100% scale regrowth and it gets me way more food/plastic than just shaving one properly penned GD.

- Dupes needed to ranch is offset by the fact you don't need other dupes to go get you plastic from other sources

- Less heat.. no need to use the PP to make plastic. Removes a lot of heat you would of gotten through that method.

Cons

- Eggs take a long time to naturally hatch, so this method takes a very long time to become operational. After it gets started though, it keeps going and going without stopping. Just put an auto-wrangle in the Hydro room and they'll refill the breeders if one dies to make this fully automatic.

Archived