With the constant updates and increase of content, It’s becoming very hard to new players to maintain a colony for very long, because tutorials videos from YouTube are being constantly outdated and posts usually don’t help on solving a specific problem such as duplicant occupations.

The current way of teaching is not very effective because most people don’t like reading all messages on how to play the game while playing the game. 

I know Oxygen Not Included is still a developing game but in one update it would be so helpful to people not familiar with the game to create a oficial tutorial mode with arrows and boxes showing what to do, what is missing and camera freezes to show what’s important on the map, giving hints as popups etc. Oxygen Not Included has so much potential to become a amazing game on the future, (Not saying that it isn’t now hehe) and adding more ways to help new players get interested and learning in a fun and dinamic way is super important to the game.

You are doing a amazing work on the game Klei.

(don’t mind my English I’m from Brazil)

I thought camera freezes like all the screen goes darker than usual and the camera moves to a highlighted object or creature, than it displays information about the object. It would be only used for very important stuff. 

About the boring part, the tutorial would be a different option on the menu and the game will guide the player to what he’s supposed to do. The boxes won’t freeze the game and but they won’t disappear unless the player clicks on it.

Let’s be honest, If the player wants to play the tutorial he must be aware that the game will be more slow and maybe more boring. It’s for educational purposes anyway.

i think the most fun i had in oxygen not included, was when i screwed up the 1st 4~6 times, and the 1st time i made it to a colony beyond cycle 100, then the game started to lose it charm as a survival game. its still fun to test the game mechanics around. I think its one those games where its best to learn as you play, like don't starve. unlike don't starve. the game doing a great job documenting it self in-game with detailed items descriptions and the index thing, which is something commendable. 

I would recommend maybe hint cards for new players but i would vote against a full tutorial. 

here is some mistakes I did when i started the game:

• I didn't use ladders for digging vertically. RIP bubbles, max, and stinky who i digged them in a hole and killed them from CO2 at cycle 3.
  • I had many dupes die at my first few games cause i did not know the Alert-mode thing exist.
  • Always death from starvation around 35 dupe (I accepted every one for more games to come)
  • when algae was about to finish, I moved all the colony man-power toward the slime biome, trying to convert it into polluted water and algae. surprise, water finished 1st and they died from starvation.
  • NEXT GAME I WAS PREPARED: and rushed into the slime biome as soon as possible to build the algae factory infrastructure, stress was high, lucky Carmille joined the calony with +6 art skill, she fixed every one stress,... then watched them all die from slimelung, watching dupes count from 16 to 3 was heart breaking, when slime lunge finally reached Camille i gave up in the save game and deleted it.
  • screw algae, we are aiming for a decent power plant and Electrolyzer, and so we did, BUT Farms died from heat. my entire explored area was above 40 I did not even know the ice biome exist. I remember making an insulated room (was my 1st) and spamming that manual fan that need a dupe to operate it .... dude that thing was stupid, water burned away and nothing got cooled. 

i eventually learned  not accept every dupe and how to manage heat, since then every thing is fine it seem like heat was the last challenge the game had. any thing else is just me trying something different. 

2 hours ago, NGMZero said:

its one those games where its best to learn as you play,

exactly this. there is no rush for anything. there is no right or wrong way to play it. there are many ways of making it easier/harder in your quest for ONI knowledge. no leaderboards, no high score, just you and your dupes, learning how to live together, together.

also, the game is not finished. there is no point to adding a guide to things that can change several times in one day.the tutorials that are in the game do plenty enough to explain what to do and if you do not read them or learn from just doing it "however" then perhaps you should wait until full release or accept it and begin the "epic quest for knowledge through playing!"

16 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

exactly this. there is no rush for anything. there is no right or wrong way to play it. there are many ways of making it easier/harder in your quest for ONI knowledge. no leaderboards, no high score, just you and your dupes, learning how to live together, together.

also, the game is not finished. there is no point to adding a guide to things that can change several times in one day.the tutorials that are in the game do plenty enough to explain what to do and if you do not read them or learn from just doing it "however" then perhaps you should wait until full release or accept it and begin the "epic quest for knowledge through playing!"

I know, I was thinking of a more open tutorial. It would show players that changing the construction material influences on a lot of things, being aware that slime on the ground produces polluted oxygen, that there’s materials that are harder to break than others, your duplicants can have more stress if they are cold or too hot, that the carbon dioxide accumulates on the bottom etc. Only the small details (that can make a difference) throughout a normal game. The goal is to make the tutorial game look as similar as possible like a normal game, but with helpful information being displayed all the time.

(Personally) It wasn’t fun to discover that even with paintings and sweeping my duplicants were stressing out in 13 cycles because they were digging on a cold area and being completely wet. I was fun to restart the colony, but when I did it the 11th time, knowing that I had to do it all over again because I missed a thing or two that isn’t in any way explicit, It wasn’t fun.

I had a 1 month break on the game and last weekend I’ve returned. I wouldn’t have written this topic if I wanted something to ruin the fun o the game... as I previously said, this game is amazing even in beta. 

20 hours ago, Bboechat10 said:

I thought camera freezes like all the screen goes darker than usual and the camera moves to a highlighted object or creature, than it displays information about the object. It would be only used for very important stuff.

Archived