Fish farming sucks

Of all the farming in this game, fish farming sucks the most.  The amount of maintenance is just obscene.  I've farmed a shed load of slime excavating several slime biomes, at least 80 tonne, I make 10 fish and within 50 cycles, they consume the lot.

Not to mention the maintenance....

1 hour ago, Craigjw said:

Of all the farming in this game, fish farming sucks the most.  The amount of maintenance is just obscene.  I've farmed a shed load of slime excavating several slime biomes, at least 80 tonne, I make 10 fish and within 50 cycles, they consume the lot.

Not to mention the maintenance....

Actually, they're the easiest. If you never feed a tamed fish, they behave almost exactly like wild fish. So you create a small fishery stock to feed to pump out eggs with algea take the eggs to another tank where they just exist perpetually with no maintenance. You only ever use the feed room to increase your numbers. Once you've enough population, you stop and just have a billion fish clogging up your cpu time, perpetually, as they auto-replace.

Perhaps I'm missing something in my setup.  However, I haven't even reached the tank capacity and they greedy buggers have eaten more algae in a few cycles than I can produce in 100.

What's ideal population for the breeding tank?

40 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Perhaps I'm missing something in my setup.  However, I haven't even reached the tank capacity and they greedy buggers have eaten more algae in a few cycles than I can produce in 100.

What's ideal population for the breeding tank?

I kept it smallish. Feeding a large number just means you're spreading out your algae too much and risking them not getting the buff. If they overcrowd then you're also wasting the algae because it isn't buffing their reproduction. I think a single fully fed tamed pacu consumes a little over 3 tons of algae during its lifespan and if properly setup produces over 10 eggs. That's the real conversion, algae to eggs.

I can't take credit for the ideas and techniques here, but this is the design I worked out. After having someone clue me in on how to drop eggs. I didn't push more than 3 breeding pacu at a time and they avoided any overcrowding in the space with the fish dropoff. Once built, the only intervention I needed was to call up incubation if I wanted to add more breeders.
20180807130353_1.thumb.jpg.c6eac988740e03a09be893b6f8b49061.jpg
From both tanks, all the egg shells/eggs, meat, polluted dirt gets taken away by the arms and conveyed to where they need to go. The eggs from the breeding tank get snatched up and put the line up to the top tank where the arm tries to grab the egg but then gets shutoff before it can deliver, causing the egg to drop down the ladder and out of reach where it would gestate.

The logic on the automation for that top arm to drop the egg for me was: Arm > Not Gate > Filter 2sec > Buffer 3sec > Arm.  I found without the filter, it would try to grab the egg as it fell down and occasionally manage to do so. So a shutoff of a longer time prevented that.

20180807130747_1.thumb.jpg.b92884f67c7b8b86eb5fb281eb4a400d.jpg

Archived