smart battery on 20 kW side ?

image.thumb.png.c0a908d3fc8c21e8225cecce25a59e48.png

I'm quite sure I had SB on the heavy wire side in a previous game.

This one (at the top) refuse to charge. The one on the right in the normal wire circuit is fine.

First I thought it was because you cannot have something directely on a heavy wire bridge, so I move the battery one tile to the left, but no avail.

Quit and reload game does not help.

Heavy wire is yellow, so there is power from the generator.

Can't see the mistake I made.

image.thumb.png.766441e3b8779fbb41b029f55ea09d0c.png

ongoing test of auto wire...

smart battery destruction planned...

IA add task "all human forms to be wiped out"...

Wait, what?

image.thumb.png.8d4fa9ad34c573eefa5009f658cd0a19.png

hello Oozinator

image.png.526bb7da64f152d73ab678e0b05c3716.png

Without automation wire, battery does not charge either.

Definitely 800 W running through the heavy wire, none ending within SB.

testing good old deconstruct/reconstruct trick...

image.png.c42ed45696c0f9a343e061d48011e147.png

Problem solved ! thanks @Oozinator

For me that makes perfect sense - the power transformer(PT) is always trying to suck all available power from the high end and supply power to low end consumers. In your case the PT sucks power from the hydrogen generator and the smart battery(SB) on the high end and provides power to the SB on the low end(since it's not charged fully). When the low-end SB is charged to 100%, the PT will charge to 1kJ, stop supplying(since all low-end consumer needs are met) and the high-end SB will start charging.

What happens is that the low-end circuit has precedence, so it gets charged first(with 1kW in case of small PT).

So to charge the high end SB you either need to cut the connection between the PT and the high end circuit(which you can't do, since the PT is in the middle), or disable the PT using automation(that will waste the PT's 1kJ charge, though!), or cut the connection on the low end between the PT and consumers/batteries(that's bad, because the PT will keep its 1kJ charge and continue producing heat).

OR you can add more generators - if the generating power is more than 1kW, say, 1.6kW(from 2 hydrogen generators), or 1.2kW(from hydrogen gen + power station), the PT will provide only 1kW and the SB will take the rest(actually if you have 2 consecutive PTs, the 2nd one gets bugged and might provide more than 1kW, but that's another story for the bug reporting section).

Another way to solve your issue might be to put the bottom battery to something like 50%-10% - then it will charge to 50% and wait, and the top battery will start charging. However, as soon as the bottom SB is at 10% it will activate and draw 1kW(at most if no other consumers are present) from the PT.

OR you can hook the top SB to the lower circuit and deconstruct the heavi wire going up from the PT - if both batteries are on the low end, they'll both charge to 100% equally.

Nice explanation @martosss, it make sense, and explain this behavior. I was able to fill the initial reluctant battery following your advice. Fun (sad) fact, I did quickly read your guide on power before posting, but its completefullness (it's a word?) made me missed out this point of precedence.

image.png.665c7adaf1b0f5542c2f01141154f4fe.png

OH, so you moved both batteries up-stream? :) That's yet another solution. However, that will limit the usage down stream to 1kW, since there will be no batteries to provide more than 1kW and the PT is limited. So if you have more than 1kW consumers, they might experience a brownout if all go active simultaneously. On the other hand, if you have the battery down stream and more than 1kW consumers, that will also cause an overload, so what you did is probably the right thing.

Archived