Can having bad internet/connection cause the host of a server to lag?

I was playing with a streamer on his Don't Starve Together world and it was getting really laggy at some points, causing the streamer to die multiple times. Whenever he looked at the player list I would always be the one with the worst connection so he thought I might have been of the cause for everyone lagging. I've played with him on other worlds before and no one would lag. I would sometimes lag but not as bad as it was on the world he was on today. The world he was on had mods that added shipwrecked items and biomes and stuff, and it was his first time trying the mod out. He fought that it might have been one of the factors of lag. He also fought that my internet was worse today compared to other days but it has been fine for me outside of the server. I have good internet but since I'm in the UK and he is somewhere in America my connection is usually not the best.

Can having bad internet or connection cause the host of a server and everyone else to lag? And if yes then can it cause others to lag to the point them rubberbanding?

I can't really answer your question about whether or not your connection would cause his to rubberband, though I think unlikely. I've hosted and played with quite a few people as far off as China, and never lagged. What I can say is, I've had mods cause massive amounts of lag for me. Biomes especially, and I've experienced it first hand with the Volcano one. Never to the point it rendered it unplayable, but whenever starting up the server, I'd freeze for a solid 20 seconds. 

Hopefully someone can give you more insight to your other question. 

No, your bad connection will not cause the host to lag, I've played with super laggy people before while hosting and I did not lag to them.

However, I do lag when there are multiple instances of items and enemies active at once, like killer bee hives all being triggered at once.

Perhaps the mod added too much stuff for his computer/server to handle?

It can. My server had no lag more than 1300days with 6 players. And after someone(bad ping) doing game and internet banking sametime entered, the whole server became laggy. Of course not all bad ping users make server bad but some of them can.

Archived