Pipe, Vent and Wire Splitter

Sometimes I find it slightly irritating that I have to destroy a wire to split one of my power grids in half, or I have to destroy a pipe to split a water system in half, and to incompany with it a tiny, but annoying, flood of water.  I also that I think that it's weird that you can make individual pipes, vents or wires that aren't connected to each other and join them by the either tracing a pipe, vent, or wire over the individual buildings, but you can't split the two buildings instantaneously like you joined them in the first place. The solution to this problem could be a splitting tool that splits pipes, vents, and wires (It could be kind of like the destroy tool which allows you to pick what type of building you want to destroy when you aren't in a certain filter, but automatically picks wires, pipes, or vents to destroy when you are in corresponding filter, although I realize that this tool would probably only be used for pipes, vents, and wires). Another solution to this problem could be the introduction of a totally new pipe, vent and wire building mechanism which would allow you to build a pipe, vent, or wire in the center of a block and a pipe, vent, or wire in the border area between two blocks. Then this way you would be able to destroy the border pipe, vent or wire and you would be able to split a system in half.  The way to then help players to adjust to this new add on could be to lower the material cost of a pipe, vent or wire because players would now be working with a slightly more complicated pipe system with the use of more pieces. Personally I think a splitting tool would be a lot more friendly to players, and a lot less of a noticeable change, with a big help to players who sometimes get irritated by this problem.

Please tell me if you like this idea or have any suggestions

or you could do what they do in real life and turn off the supply wait for it to empty and do it properly. you could also add a valve before hand shut off the valve then break the spot. all of these are options you are overlooking. shortcuts take away from the engineering and physics that keeps this game not being fallout shelter

Making the pipes able to be split by a tool would make the plumber obsolete.

Also, trying things out, messing up, fixing it on the fly and keep your experience in mind with your next pipe/wire system is part of what makes the game fun and challenging.

Archived