Low FPS on a good notebook. Troubleshooting/Help

Hey!

So I have a small problem, DST is running with bad FPS on my laptop, making it unenjoyable at most time since the FPS drops below 30.

My laptop has decent hardware and should be able to run it with constant 60 FPS. For example, I am able to run Witcher 3 on medium/high settings 1080p, or Tomb Raider high settings 4K (I have a 4K screen). Both run with a playable 30-50 FPS.

I have an Intel i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti and 16GM RAM. (Windows 10)

What I did so far, and sadly without a success:

I made sure DST is using the GTX and not intergrated Intel graphic card. (Through the NVIDIA control panel)

Inside the control panel I tried to enable/disalbe Vertical Sync and enable/disable Triple Buffering.

At some point I thought 4K is too much for DST so I changed the desktop resolution to 1920x1080 and same inside DST. Sadly nothing changed, both in fullscreen mode and windowed mode.

Netbook mode is off, no difference with Small Textures on/off.

No mods are in use, vanilla DST after a fresh install.

Refreshrate is 60 in the settings. (Can't be changed)

I'm not sure if it has somethng to do with my notebook or DST, since other more demanding games work fine. (Or does DST even support 4K?)

And funny thing is, DST works completely fine on my old potato PC.

I hope someone can help me, since I searched/googled for this issue and sadly couldn't find a solution.

On 7/21/2018 at 1:29 AM, NAVY said:

Hey!

So I have a small problem, DST is running with bad FPS on my laptop, making it unenjoyable at most time since the FPS drops below 30.

My laptop has decent hardware and should be able to run it with constant 60 FPS. For example, I am able to run Witcher 3 on medium/high settings 1080p, or Tomb Raider high settings 4K (I have a 4K screen). Both run with a playable 30-50 FPS.

I have an Intel i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti and 16GM RAM.

What I did so far, and sadly without a success:

I made sure DST is using the GTX and not intergrated Intel graphic card. (Through the NVIDIA control panel)

Inside the control panel I tried to enable/disalbe Vertical Sync and enable/disable Triple Buffering.

At some point I thought 4K is too much for DST so I changed the desktop resolution to 1920x1080 and same inside DST. Sadly nothing changed, both in fullscreen mode and windowed mode.

Netbook mode is off, no difference with Small Textures on/off.

No mods are in use, vanilla DST after a fresh install.

Refreshrate is 60 in the settings. (Can't be changed)

I'm not sure if it has somethng to do with my notebook or DST, since other more demanding games work fine. (Or does DST even support 4K?)

And funny thing is, DST works completely fine on my old potato PC.

I hope someone can help me, since I searched/googled for this issue and sadly couldn't find a solution.

Have you tried

image.png.bfb28e422aa57f6a11a850cb8a46a193.png

Clicking on Battery button then setting the slider to best performance

If it helped then Enjoy!

Thank you for the replies!

Sorry for the late update, but I managed to fix it somehow. I went to the Nvidia control panel and set the prefered graphics card from auto to the Nvidia one, then restarted my notebook and it worked. (Not for the exe only, but for global settings.)

Sadly the solution above was only temporary, and DST still has terrible PFS. I must have tried all the options, and I give up.

Either it's my setup which I doubt, since I play much more demanding games without problem, or DST is not optimized for the graphics card or 4K? Idk.

At least I still have my potato PC with a graphics card from 2009 and DST works flawless here. Imao.

On 9.8.2018 at 8:12 AM, NAVY said:

Either it's my setup which I doubt, since I play much more demanding games without problem, or DST is not optimized for the graphics card or 4K? Idk.

DST is probably not demanding enough for your system to actually decide to use the dedicated GPU over the iGPU.

No idea how to fix it apart from setting the dedicated GPU as GPU to use either though.

Have you checked task manager for other processes running in your computer? Maybe it's something else that's eating up resources in the background.

DST game client is not resource-hungry (as you said, it runs fine on your potato PC), so I'd try to abstract a bit from the game and look for something else in the PC that might be causing it. Have you tried Witcher 3 / Tomb Raider recently? Can you still run them on the settings you mentioned?

Also, are you hosting the server on the same machine? Your setup seems quite powerful so that shouldn't matter much, but try joining different servers, you never know.

Thanks for the replies, I will take a look later when I use my laptop again. Might as well be something in the background running.

Good idea to try other games and check, will do.

About the server thing: Yes, I was running a local server for 1 player and I also played on other servers. The results are the same: Low performance and FPS.

Archived