Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Recommended Posts

scaarfito    1

Hello everyone I am new at the forum so don't be mad at me because of  my begginer mistakes , so I have a new character idea that I hope you guys like and hopefully with ofcorse some adjustments it might become a playable character (mod or even better game content but I guess that is a bit too far hoping ) with your support, ofcorse. Let the community speak :D

So her name is Wanda,  the hunter

(You can find all the item info below) searching for someone with some expirience interesting in helping to make the mod and/or design the character

She has the look of a forest hunter (explained later) , she got 2 extra stat/attribute , a hunting meter (kinda like woodie),she also is a silent hunter this means when she shoots on a entity wich normaly triggers her friens to agro on you like beefalos this wont happen ,she spawns with a bow (without durability and only she can hold it) and 50 arrows and a cat cap (optional) also she can craft a whip or get an easier craft recipe of the tail o three cat (DST) , she has less hp 100 ,a low amout of sanity (e.g. 120 - 150 ),less melee damage (75 %), more long range weapon damage going up to from 100% to 300%, and she takes 25% more damage , she wears e.g. a bear skin (kinda like a cape ) and a raccoon hat(this if she doesn't spawns with the cat cap , otherwise a bird nest on her head ) and a bird on her sholder. About the hunting meter it has a max of 100 points 
and she can earn those killing animals/monsters each with their own value (like the krampii meter) but if she kill an animal or a monster with a long range weapon she gets a point multiplier of 5 she can gain also 10 hunting points by hitting with a melee weapon but loose 5 when hitting with a range weapon when the hunting points get below 10/100 she will run slower  (15-)20%, drain a bit sanity and her damage will be decreased with a 50%, when the hunting points are above 75/100 she will run 25% faster gain a bit extra sanity over time and her ranged weapons damage will become a 300% , between between 60 and 75 hunting points her ranged weapon damage will be a 200% and between 10 and 60 hunting points it will be a 100%, when she loses hunting points she will drain 1 sanity each point, also when she hits an arrow she will get a speed boost of 25%.
This making her easy to kite but if she gets hit she will suffer a lot more than other characters, I don't know if it would be balanced that she can craft bows for her team mates in dst but with durability.
Arrow recipe: 10 twig and 5 flint
Fire arrow recipe: a twig and a red gem. The burning effect will last longer than the one of the fire staff.

Ice arrow recipe: a twig and a blue gem. The freezing effect will last longer than the one of the ice staff.

Shadow arrow recipe: a twig 2 nightmare fuel and a purple gem. This arrow will make all the nightmare creatures around aggro on the hitten target 

When making a better arrow you will get a total of 3 and when making a normal arrow you will get 100

Bow: damage: 17-34-51 durability: none (still not sure for dst)

Better bow: double the damage can be refused with gears last 200 shots 

Crafting bows:  1 cut board 2 rope 1 silk 2 gears (Better bow)

Ofcorse all this can be adjusted and can change, if you have any suggestions leave them behind.

Thank you for reading and I hope you liked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
20 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

Just look up "female baby names starting with w".

image.thumb.png.26a4ce0a25a34c8697ab7336daad6089.png

I don't understand what you meant, is it a name suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raspberry Milk    2,275
6 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

I don't understand what you meant, is it a name suggestions?

Yeah, everybody's names start with a W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
3 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

Yeah, everybody's names start with a W

Now that you mention it , I didn't saw  that, but are the character names original or did they already exist ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
3 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

Now that you mention it , I didn't say that, but are the character original or did they already exist ?

I don't possess a lot of knowledge involving people in both reality and fiction, but some of the DST characters are based off of others.

For example, Wilson's name was based off of the famous film 'cast away' Wilson the volleyball. In fact, DS originally began as a cast away simulator from what I researched.

If you're a novel expert, I'm sure a lot of the lore also draws from both classic and modern works of fiction.

For certain the cast of DST draws inspiration from elsewhere, but there should be some originality involved, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
7 minutes ago, Extant said:

I don't possess a lot of knowledge involving people in both reality and fiction, but some of the DST characters are based off of others.

For example, Wilson's name was based off of the famous film 'cast away' Wilson the volleyball. In fact, DS originally began as a cast away simulator from what I researched.

If you're a novel expert, I'm sure a lot of the lore also draws from both classic and modern works of fiction.

For certain the cast of DST draws inspiration from elsewhere, but there should be some originality involved, too.

So you say that the character names are based on existing names?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
4 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

So you say that the character names are based on existing names?

At least 1 of them. I haven't done enough research into the other names yet to figure it out, but there's probably some references behind a few of them.

As long as the character's name starts with a W, that's all the general people who are open to DST-lore-friendly character mods care about as far as their personage goes.

Of course, you can always go above and beyond and find a way to tie your character's name in with something that could fit in with the game's universe and lore.

Edit #1

This is just the fruits of a 1 minute google search, so this is a huuuuuge blind guess.

However, I think Wolfgang's name is based off of Mozart's name. This might be why his sound effect is played by a trumpet as well. It might be a stretch though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
3 minutes ago, Extant said:

At least 1 of them. I haven't done enough research into the other names yet to figure it out, but there's probably some references behind a few of them.

As long as the character's name starts with a W, that's all the general people who are open to DST-lore-friendly character mods care about as far as their personage goes.

Of course, you can always go above and beyond and find a way to tie your character's name in with something that could fit in with the game's universe and lore.

I search about it and I found this just look at it some names are already in the game 

https://www.babble.com/baby-names/girl-names-that-start-with-w/

I think I like wanda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
7 minutes ago, Extant said:

That's a pretty good name as far as meanings behind it goes while fitting in with the theme of don't starve and her hunter aspect.

I think it works nicely.

Yea I am going to change the name

Any other suggestions ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
33 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

Yea I am going to change the name

Any other suggestions ?

I'll have to understand her mechanics a bit more before giving too many suggestions, but from what I understand she's a ranged character, not a melee character.

Instead of having an accuracy meter that fluctuates with her hunting stat, how about making it so that the damage she deals with a ranged weapon changes on the hunting meter?

Missing attacks is an extremely annoying mechanic to many people and especially to those that dislike RNG. Having the damage being affected instead sounds much better so that she never misses with her bow, but the damage she does with it changes if the meter is fuller or lower.

Also, the movement speed buff is fine but I think the penalty should be reduced a bit. -25% movement speed is absolutely detrimental to any combat situation. That's almost wearing a marble suit. I think the lowest the movement speed penalty should go is probably 15-20%.

Other than that, it sounds pretty interesting so far. Good job!

Edit #1

Okay, I came up with a few more suggestions to vary up her game-play from the standard just shoot things all day long and also to make it so that she can compete with Mighty Wolfgang when it comes to who gets to use blowdarts.

So her hunt meter has a range of 0-100, right? I think that using a ranged weapon (such as a bow or a blowdart) should decrease her hunt meter by 5 points per use. That means the longer she relies solely on shooting, the weaker her ranged damage will become.

To get her hunt meter back up, she must use melee attacks. 1 melee hit will restore 10 hunt meter points. That means to maintain her meter, she must do 1 melee strike for every 2 ranged strikes she deals. That will make it more interesting as there must be a mix between range and melee or else the player will suffer from reduced damage/slower movement speed if they rely on range too much.

As for her damage modifiers, I think she should have 75% melee damage just like Wes/Wendy. For her ranged damage modifier, I believe it should vary from 100% damage up to a maximum of 300% damage. That means at full hunt meter, Wanda will do 300 damage per blowdart. That way people will consider giving her the darts instead of Mighty Wolfgang.

If anyone believes this is too overpowered, keep in mind that her hunt meter will drain each time she uses a ranged attack and eventually her damage modifier will become equal or less than MW. That means she sacrifices some melee damage and attack time to restore the meter occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
18 minutes ago, Extant said:

I'll have to understand her mechanics a bit more before giving too many suggestions, but from what I understand she's a ranged character, not a melee character.

Instead of having an accuracy meter that fluctuates with her hunting stat, how about making it so that the damage she deals with a ranged weapon changes on the hunting meter?

Missing attacks is an extremely annoying mechanic to many people and especially to those that dislike RNG. Having the damage being affected instead sounds much better so that she never misses with her bow, but the damage she does with it changes if the meter is fuller or lower.

Also, the movement speed buff is fine but I think the penalty should be reduced a bit. -25% movement speed is absolutely detrimental to any combat situation. That's almost wearing a marble suit. I think the lowest the movement speed penalty should go is probably 15-20%.

Other than that, it sounds pretty interesting so far. Good job!

Well thank you, yeah you are right I'll change it maybe if you know some one that has experience making  a mod or to help it would be awesome otherwise I must make the mod on my own and I don't have such an experience with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
Just now, scaarfito said:

Well thank you, yeah you are right I'll change it maybe if you know some one that has experience making  a mod or to help it would be awesome otherwise I must make the mod on my own and I don't have such an experience with that

I edited my post just now with some more suggestions which is pretty game changing from what you originally had in mind.

Again, this is your suggestion post and your idea. You don't have to incorporate every single idea people offer, but listening to their thoughts is never a bad thing.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who has experience with modding sadly. Hopefully you'll find a way to make it. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
17 minutes ago, Extant said:

I edited my post just now with some more suggestions which is pretty game changing from what you originally had in mind.

Again, this is your suggestion post and your idea. You don't have to incorporate every single idea people offer, but listening to their thoughts is never a bad thing.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who has experience with modding sadly. Hopefully you'll find a way to make it. Good luck!

I read it and it sound good but then I have to change some other thing but I'll see, also one more thing do you have any idea how much the armor efficiency decrease should be and some numbers for the bow damage and maybe durability (if that would be a thing) also about the crafteable part in dst to give it to other players I still have doubts about it, and yeah I know I don't have to incorporate evetything but when people is right, they just are ;) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
1 hour ago, scaarfito said:

I read it and it sound good but then I have to change some other thing but I'll see, also one more thing do you have any idea how much the armor efficiency decrease should be and some numbers for the bow damage and maybe durability (if that would be a thing) also about the crafteable part in dst to give it to other players I still have doubts about it, and yeah I know I don't have to incorporate evetything but when people is right, they just are ;) .

I think having armor durability the same is fine. Since Wanda takes 25% extra damage, that basically means that she'll burn through armor faster anyways. Actually, perhaps her health should be increased to 100 due to the additional damage she takes. That'll put her about on par for Maxwell's frailty when taking the extra damage into consideration.

I think the bow's damage should probably be 17 at 100% damage modifier, 34 at 200% damage modifier, and 51 at 300% damage modifier. 51 for a standard weapon for her using arrows sounds good when at maximum efficiency. Of course, blowdarts/electric blow darts are always useable if heavy damage is needed.

For crafting... I guess twigs and flint for the arrows. That'll actually give some use to flint for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
1 minute ago, Extant said:

I think having armor durability the same is fine. Since Wanda takes 25% extra damage, that basically means that she'll burn through armor faster anyways. Actually, perhaps her health should be increased to 100 due to the additional damage she takes. That'll put her about on par for Maxwell's frailty when taking the extra damage into consideration.

I think the bow's damage should probably be 17 at 100% damage modifier, 34 at 200% damage modifier, and 51 at 300% damage modifier. 51 for a standard weapon for her using arrows sounds good when at maximum efficiency. Of course, blowdarts/electric blow darts are always useable if heavy damage is needed.

For crafting... I guess twigs and flint for the arrows. That'll actually give some use to flint for once.

What do you think about the better arrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
17 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

What do you think about the better arrow?

Oh, I didn't see the part about your crafting mats for arrows/better arrows.

I think making normal arrows just twigs/flint is fine since people will use the feathers for darts instead.

For better arrows... how about using red feather, twig, and red gem for a fire arrow that sets the enemy on fire for a long time? Like maybe 20-30 seconds per arrow.

Ice arrow with azure feather, twig, and blue gem that freezes an enemy for a long time (longer than ice staff).

And maybe nightmare arrow which uses jet black feather, twig, and a purple gem. It causes all nearby shadow creatures/nightmare creatures to aggro onto whatever was hit by the arrow for a short period of time. 10-15 seconds.

Edit #1

Perhaps crafting the arrows should make about 100 each for 10 twigs, 1 flint.

A spear has 150 uses and uses 1 flint for a total of 5,100 damage per spear with a Wilson character.

For 100 arrows, Wanda would do about 5,100 damage assuming she shoots every arrow at maximum damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
9 minutes ago, Extant said:

Oh, I didn't see the part about your crafting mats for arrows/better arrows.

I think making normal arrows just twigs/flint is fine since people will use the feathers for darts instead.

For better arrows... how about using red feather, twig, and red gem for a fire arrow that sets the enemy on fire for a long time? Like maybe 20-30 seconds per arrow.

Ice arrow with azure feather, twig, and blue gem that freezes an enemy for a long time (longer than ice staff).

And maybe nightmare arrow which uses jet black feather, twig, and a purple gem. It causes all nearby shadow creatures/nightmare creatures to aggro onto whatever was hit by the arrow for a short period of time. 10-15 seconds.

Yeah , nice idea I think I have a lot of work writing now xD but about the shadow arrow maybe it depends too much of you being insane so maybe it can spawn some nightmares like 3 but the player can't kill them for loot or some other shadow-y effect or maybe that you lose sanity or something or even to make them like a nightmare farm tool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
11 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

Yeah , nice idea I think I have a lot of work writing now xD but about the shadow arrow maybe it depends too much of you being insane so maybe it can spawn some nightmares like 3 but the player can't kill them for loot or some other shadow-y effect or maybe that you lose sanity or something or even to make them like a nightmare farm tool

I was thinking the shadow arrow would be more effective to utilize in the ruins since there are plenty of fissures/nightmare lights down there.

Of course, you can also use it in addition to the nightmare amulet/bone helm to force spawn like 5-6 shadow creatures at once which would greatly add to the DPS.

In addition, I thought about having a bow upgrade for Wanda instead of an arrow upgrade as far as pure damage goes.

Her regular bow would do 17/34/51 damage with arrows and have infinite uses.

Her upgraded bow would be crafted with gears and some other materials and it'll do double damage with the arrows. That means the upgraded bow will do 34/68/102 damage per arrow used.

However, the upgraded bow can only be used 100 times before it needs to be re-fueled with another gear to use again. That'll make rushing the ruins as her worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
15 minutes ago, Extant said:

I was thinking the shadow arrow would be more effective to utilize in the ruins since there are plenty of fissures/nightmare lights down there.

Of course, you can also use it in addition to the nightmare amulet/bone helm to force spawn like 5-6 shadow creatures at once which would greatly add to the DPS.

In addition, I thought about having a bow upgrade for Wanda instead of an arrow upgrade as far as pure damage goes.

Her regular bow would do 17/34/51 damage with arrows and have infinite uses.

Her upgraded bow would be crafted with gears and some other materials and it'll do double damage with the arrows. That means the upgraded bow will do 34/68/102 damage per arrow used.

However, the upgraded bow can only be used 100 times before it needs to be re-fueled with another gear to use again. That'll make rushing the ruins as her worthwhile.

Didn't  though about that perspective great idea but I kinda liked the arrow upgrade too so I must choose or find a mid-way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
50 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

Didn't  though about that perspective great idea but I kinda liked the arrow upgrade too so I must choose or find a mid-way

The arrow upgrade could work as well. I just thought that having 1 arrow type for each scenario would be best to keep it simple.

1 arrow for damage, 1 arrow for fire DoT (mostly for PvP but could add some risky damage), 1 arrow for freezing for crowd control (again better for PvP but could be useful in PvE), and 1 special arrow that's fun to use.

This is basically how I imagined game play for her would be like.

She would start with a bow and 100 arrows. Her bow will deal 17/34/51 damage based off of her hunt meter. More than sufficient to deal with early-game stuff with ease.

As she relies more on ranged, she's frailer at 100 HP while taking 25% extra damage (which also consumes armor faster as a result). However, you can't entirely just shoot things forever as her hunt meter decreases every time you use a ranged weapon. To restore this, you need to mix in melee attacks which do less damage than normal and makes it more exciting since she is frail and takes risk with CQC.

Once she is able to enter the ruins and obtain thulecite, gears, and silk, she can craft a more powerful bow that does double damage per arrow, but has limited uses. The bow will not break upon hitting 0% durability, but instead be unusable until it is refueled with another gear. By that point, she can deal 34/68/102 damage per arrow which is sufficient enough to deal easily with stronger monsters and giants.

If she wants to attack raid bosses, she should spend some time hunting birds with her normal bow to gather some feathers to craft blowdarts/electric blowdarts with. Since she will eventually do 17 damage per arrow, she can't farm birds infinitely without some break, but her bow allows her to more easily farm them than any other character (excluding Wickerbottom).

Once she has a good amount of blowdarts/electric blowdarts available, she can deal 300/450 damage per dart depending on the situation. That is more than enough to take down raid bosses if you're good at kiting to keep up your hunt meter as well.

For bonuses, she can use fire arrows to set things on fire perhaps to scatter groups of enemies allowing her to pick 1 off at a time (for example, the ruins if you run into 2 bishops and you can set 1 on fire to only have to fight 1 of them).

Or even the ice arrow to freeze any extra adds to make your life easier if you find yourself fighting multiple things at a time.

Finally, the shadow arrow can be useful for re-clearing the ruins as you can get the nightmare creatures to do a lot of the dirty work for you. Or you can fool around with the nightmare amulet/bone helm to watch things get mauled by shadow creatures on the surface.

Again, this is just what came to my imagination when thinking of a hunting character for DST with ranged weapons.

This thread is yours, the character idea is yours, and you choose what you want to do with your character.

Edit #1

Since 100 uses with the upgraded bow would net a maximum of 10,200 damage, which is slightly less than 1 dark sword as Mighty Wolfgang, I figured the 1 gear cost per 100 uses might be a bit expensive compared to 5 NF and 1 living log. Perhaps the bow should have 200 uses instead per gear.

Also, since she is a hunter, I think adding a silenced fighting style attribute to her would be appropriate. This means that when attacking enemies (that would normally aggro when an ally is attacked such as clockworks), they will only aggro 1 at a time if Wanda attacks them.

This will also make farming feathers easier as birds won't fly away after 1 of their kind was killed.

Edit #2

Adding the silenced hunt attribute actually opens up a way for her to be helpful to the team while fitting in with the hunting theme. She can easily farm birds/rabbits without scaring them for easy morsels to bring to the team as usually meat is the problem and not filler.

Also, she can easily aggro Koalephants at any time since she should always have a ranged weapon on her. Perhaps she can examine the tracks to determine if it'll end up being a Koalephant or a Varg/Ewecus instead. That would make her ideal to go hunting with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scaarfito    1
14 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

Maybe theme them about survival or something? Like, gets more food and resources from scavenging?

I am sorry but I don't get what you mean again.. my bad

15 hours ago, Extant said:

The arrow upgrade could work as well. I just thought that having 1 arrow type for each scenario would be best to keep it simple.

1 arrow for damage, 1 arrow for fire DoT (mostly for PvP but could add some risky damage), 1 arrow for freezing for crowd control (again better for PvP but could be useful in PvE), and 1 special arrow that's fun to use.

This is basically how I imagined game play for her would be like.

She would start with a bow and 100 arrows. Her bow will deal 17/34/51 damage based off of her hunt meter. More than sufficient to deal with early-game stuff with ease.

As she relies more on ranged, she's frailer at 100 HP while taking 25% extra damage (which also consumes armor faster as a result). However, you can't entirely just shoot things forever as her hunt meter decreases every time you use a ranged weapon. To restore this, you need to mix in melee attacks which do less damage than normal and makes it more exciting since she is frail and takes risk with CQC.

Once she is able to enter the ruins and obtain thulecite, gears, and silk, she can craft a more powerful bow that does double damage per arrow, but has limited uses. The bow will not break upon hitting 0% durability, but instead be unusable until it is refueled with another gear. By that point, she can deal 34/68/102 damage per arrow which is sufficient enough to deal easily with stronger monsters and giants.

If she wants to attack raid bosses, she should spend some time hunting birds with her normal bow to gather some feathers to craft blowdarts/electric blowdarts with. Since she will eventually do 17 damage per arrow, she can't farm birds infinitely without some break, but her bow allows her to more easily farm them than any other character (excluding Wickerbottom).

Once she has a good amount of blowdarts/electric blowdarts available, she can deal 300/450 damage per dart depending on the situation. That is more than enough to take down raid bosses if you're good at kiting to keep up your hunt meter as well.

For bonuses, she can use fire arrows to set things on fire perhaps to scatter groups of enemies allowing her to pick 1 off at a time (for example, the ruins if you run into 2 bishops and you can set 1 on fire to only have to fight 1 of them).

Or even the ice arrow to freeze any extra adds to make your life easier if you find yourself fighting multiple things at a time.

Finally, the shadow arrow can be useful for re-clearing the ruins as you can get the nightmare creatures to do a lot of the dirty work for you. Or you can fool around with the nightmare amulet/bone helm to watch things get mauled by shadow creatures on the surface.

Again, this is just what came to my imagination when thinking of a hunting character for DST with ranged weapons.

This thread is yours, the character idea is yours, and you choose what you want to do with your character.

Edit #1

Since 100 uses with the upgraded bow would net a maximum of 10,200 damage, which is slightly less than 1 dark sword as Mighty Wolfgang, I figured the 1 gear cost per 100 uses might be a bit expensive compared to 5 NF and 1 living log. Perhaps the bow should have 200 uses instead per gear.

Also, since she is a hunter, I think adding a silenced fighting style attribute to her would be appropriate. This means that when attacking enemies (that would normally aggro when an ally is attacked such as clockworks), they will only aggro 1 at a time if Wanda attacks them.

This will also make farming feathers easier as birds won't fly away after 1 of their kind was killed.

Edit #2

Adding the silenced hunt attribute actually opens up a way for her to be helpful to the team while fitting in with the hunting theme. She can easily farm birds/rabbits without scaring them for easy morsels to bring to the team as usually meat is the problem and not filler.

Also, she can easily aggro Koalephants at any time since she should always have a ranged weapon on her. Perhaps she can examine the tracks to determine if it'll end up being a Koalephant or a Varg/Ewecus instead. That would make her ideal to go hunting with.

I like the silenced idea and also I realised that having the better arrows AND the bow upgrade won't be op because she needs 3-4 inventory slots to carry all depending if you want gears with you, now I am gonna write those things on the topic , thank you btw you gave me a lot of help .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Extant    308
23 minutes ago, scaarfito said:

I am sorry but I don't get what you mean again.. my bad

I like the silenced idea and also I realised that having the better arrows AND the bow upgrade won't be op because she needs 3-4 inventory slots to carry all depending if you want gears with you, now I am gonna write those things on the topic , thank you btw you gave me a lot of help .

No problem. I think I've offered more than enough ideas for my part. Some of them might be good, some of them might be silly, and some of them might not be necessary.

Character balance and fun factor (as well as synergy) is always a work-in-progress, so I tried giving all the help I could come up with. I'll let you get back to your own work and hopefully your character idea goes well!

We'll never know how she works out until she's made. Good luck and let your imagination run wild! :wilson_flower:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites