Ways to decrease CPU load on server

So I have in i7 8-core processor, I have cores 6 and 7 solely dedicated to running the overworld and caves servers respectively. But since this game doesn't allow me to run a server on multiple cores, it still means the overworld is limited to relying on 1/8th of my total processing power. It worked fine at first but it's gotten extremely bad lately, with players experiencing slowdowns and rubberbanding that makes the game absolutely unplayable.

I am fairly certain bandwidth is not the issue as 1) all speedtests and ping tests come back normal and 2) I also experience extreme slowdowns and rubberbanding as the host.

CPU being the bottleneck seems to be very likely. I have managed to make things better by installing a mod that periodically cleans up clutter on the ground and limits active mobs / item spawns. I've also run a command that deletes all liftable, non-container and non-essential items on the ground. It's not quite solved yet.

Has anyone run into that issue and found a solution that does not involve restarting on a smaller map? Ours is huge and 150 days old, started getting unplayable around day 135.

You should have posted this in [Don't Starve Together] Dedicated Server Discussion, but I guess a moderator will move it later on.

Anyway, usually the CPU usage is the culprit, but I don't get it how with an i7 with 8 core you start running into issues at day 150, while I got an i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 core/4 threads) and got it without much and fuss to day 2k (we reset usually around this time), no mods, world set to endless default, 12 slots and tick rate set to 60. Had 8-10 players online at the same shard (up or in caves) and nobody complained about slowdowns or rubber-banding.

Sadly the DST server as stands right now doesn't know how to take full advantage of CPU's with multiple cores or the features they got, so one core will be used for Master (over world) and one for Caves.

How much RAM do you have? What operating system?

I am thinking one of the world settings or mods is to blame. If I had to guess I would say Volcano biomes has something to do with it. There are more parts to this equation but it is probably a contributing factor.

I have done huge worlds before and gone to day 500+ without any issues.

8gb ram with windows 7. Minimal background applications running. My old worlds still run fine.

19 hours ago, Corgster said:

I have cores 6 and 7 solely dedicated to running the overworld and caves servers respectively.

I hope you didn't bind the server to those cores. Don't ever do that. If you did that, unbind them and let the OS figure out the best core association.

8 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

I hope you didn't bind the server to those cores. Don't ever do that. If you did that, unbind them and let the OS figure out the best core association.

I did and I will undo this change. I was already experiencing extreme rubberbanding so changing the process affinities was one of the many things I tried.

I did more research and it does definitely look like one of my mods is to blame. It would generate a new shard every single time I started the server.

1 hour ago, Corgster said:

I did more research and it does definitely look like one of my mods is to blame. It would generate a new shard every single time I started the server.

Yea, it really sounds like a mod like this might be the issue.

What I experienced is that the game runs best, if you restart the server once after generating the map. So this in combination with a mod that automaticially makes a new world every time you restart it might be the source of the issue here.

2 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

Yea, it really sounds like a mod like this might be the issue.

What I experienced is that the game runs best, if you restart the server once after generating the map. So this in combination with a mod that automaticially makes a new world every time you restart it might be the source of the issue here.

The mod wasn't supposed to do that, and I certainly wouldn't have installed it had I known it would do that. It's a bug. I should've been more wary of the mod in question, some additional research indicates that it may have allegedly borrowed big chunks of code from other mods to, allegedly, form a rather buggy patchwork of mods that causes many issues for hosts and players.

I guess we can mark this topic as solved.

Archived